News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom Huckaby

Re:USGA HCP System vs. UK Golf Unions System
« Reply #50 on: December 08, 2005, 12:37:55 PM »
Sean - I'd guess we agree on MOST things.  

But no hassles, man.

TH

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #51 on: December 08, 2005, 12:40:14 PM »
Rich:

Glad to have you back.

Just to clarify, what is meant here is that I don't condone posting of rounds played by one's self, with no playing partners - and I query JV as to whether the spirit of the USGA guidelines agree with me.

Thus I sincerely doubt this wipes out such a very large percentage of posted rounds.  You don't really believe that many are played solo, do you?  If so, boy you have been away a long time.

TH

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #52 on: December 08, 2005, 12:43:51 PM »
Huck,

Have you noticed that since your umpteen thousand posts were excluded from your tally, you seem to get no respect from the hoi polloi? Is there a hierarchal pecking order at work here?

Bob

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #53 on: December 08, 2005, 12:44:55 PM »
Bob:

That is a very good point.  I wondered why I am getting so battered lately... not that I ever got much respect before, mind you... but I guess 12,000 posts do mean SOMETHING.

;D

ForkaB

« Reply #54 on: December 08, 2005, 12:44:59 PM »
Tom

If you post by yourself, not matter how many players you have played with, it is just one hand clapping.....or whatever one hand can or will do in privacy.

Enjoy!

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #55 on: December 08, 2005, 12:46:04 PM »
Rich:

Aha.  Totally different point, one on which we've wasted too many words in too many prior topics.  But I did get a chuckle out of that!  So can I add Luddite to the other titles you've earned today?

TH
« Last Edit: December 08, 2005, 12:46:30 PM by Tom Huckaby »

Mike Benham

« Reply #56 on: December 08, 2005, 12:55:54 PM »
The perfect handicapping system is when the Hon. Sec. of a club, (I was one once at Nchanga G.C.) sees a score  that cleans the board and is inherently fishy, then announces that the miscreants new handicap is thus.

Hmmm, just like the course rating/ranking system that certain people desire.

So Matt Ward would be the Czar of course ratings/rankings, who would be the Czar of handicaps?
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #57 on: December 08, 2005, 01:00:01 PM »
Good question, Mike.

I know some would vote for Mr. Huntley.  Though his honor and integrity are obviously above reproach, I just think I need to increase my net worth a bit before we give him full reign over this.

Wouldn't you agree, Mr. #14 on the Shore?

:'(

Brent Hutto

« Reply #58 on: December 08, 2005, 01:50:31 PM »
The flaw was that it was decided handicaps would be more legit if there were more rounds. So they decided they wouldn't let peer review get in the way of posting scores. They wouldn't let anything get in the way of posting scores.

This is the argument that I said could be made in favor of the principle that "every time you set foot on the course" should count as a handicap-scoring round. You certainly have to give some weight to the desirability of having plenty of rounds. The CONGU system apparently errs too far in the other direction since their handicaps are considered valid with only a handful of rounds counted over the past year or two. That seems like a stretch to me.

A principal of measurement that statisticians have to remind researchers of is that a small N with valid data is far preferable to a larger N with a mixture of valid and questionable data. It's almost always better to have an uncertain (or unstable) but unbiased estimate than a more precise one that departs in one direction or another from reality.

Both systems seem to want everyone to be able to maintain a handicap. IMO that's an unrealistic goal. I see nothing wrong with telling someone who hardly ever plays a competitive round or one that can be attested to by a playing partner that he or she is unable to maintain a valid handicap. CONGU would rather see them play a couple of comps a years to get a handicap and USGA wants them to go ahead and post a score every time they're on the course. I think that is not selective enough and the result is poor validity.

Brent Hutto

« Reply #59 on: December 08, 2005, 01:57:33 PM »
That is a very good point.  I wondered why I am getting so battered lately... not that I ever got much respect before, mind you... but I guess 12,000 posts do mean SOMETHING.

I hadn't even noticed your post count getting reset. I think for me it started when I met you at Dixie Cup I last year. :P

It's an abiding mystery how someone whose voice I had never heard before and of whom I'd never been within 2,000 miles could be instantly identifiable by getting out of a golf cart 50 yards away, behind my back, while I was hitting range balls and saying "Hey, John!" to Mr. Kavenaugh (who I'd also never met). But there it was...

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #60 on: December 08, 2005, 02:22:13 PM »
Brent:

I take it as a badge of honor that I write here pretty much the same as I speak in person.  Of course that's not a good thing if I am to be a writer, but that is not my aim.

;D ;D

And of course, meeting me in person ends any right to respect I may have earned - that part is WHOLLY understood!

TH

W.H. Cosgrove

« Reply #61 on: December 08, 2005, 02:46:25 PM »
I didn't wander through every response in the thread but doesn't the differentiation of 'regular' rounds from 'tournament' scores go at least part way to addressing the monthly medal aspect of the system in Great Britain?  

Adding that a system based on medal play is a folly, how many groups putt everything out?  We play a composite game in this country.  If we don't putt out the numbers produced run the risk of making the GHIN system invalid.

If everyone putts out, however, the sales of camping gear would increase because we would have to bivouac on the course.  Those little camp stoves would leave burn rings all over the course.  Superintendents would hate it!
« Last Edit: December 08, 2005, 02:46:57 PM by W.H. Cosgrove »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back