News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Andy Levett

Restoring The Old Course
« on: December 07, 2005, 04:45:01 AM »
According to Keith Mackie's St Andrews book there was once a bunker in the centre of the 1st/18th fairway, filled in shortly before WW1.
Does anyone know any more about this?
Should it be restored?

ForkaB

Re:Restoring The Old Course
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2005, 05:45:20 AM »
Andy

I think I've seen this factoid before, too, but can't remember where.  As for the final question--no need for a bunker unless you want to destroy the character of the hole and/or frustrate the hackers, who will already be very properly frustrated by the time they get to the 18th tee.

Andy Levett

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2005, 06:26:49 AM »
Rich
I agree that in 2005  the bunker would only affect the weaker player, though with a decent wind a lot of us would become weak either going out or coming back. The carry would be about 180-190 if it was bang in the middle?
I'm thinking of the poor souls who play the course on a regular basis and no longer experience the same feelings of awe/terror/insert adjective of your choice here/  on either tee that the one-time or occasional visitor enjoys. That one small hazard could restore some of the missing spice.

Doug Siebert

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2005, 01:19:49 AM »
Don't let Shivas see this thread or he'll renew his battle to get us on board with his idea of a pot bunker 40 yards short of the Valley of Sin! ;D
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back