News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Scott Witter

Down Under: Kauri Cliffs Course & David Harman
« on: December 06, 2005, 05:44:36 PM »
We have heard so much...maybe too much of the Kidnappers Course.  Just before Kidnappers, Julian Robertson hired David Harman to design and build a golf course, the Kauri Cliffs Course north of Auckland.  There is a brief write-up about Julian Robertson and the two courses in the latest The Met Golfer magazine.  Has anyone played this course?  What do we really know about the site, or about David Hartman?  With 5,000 acres to work with I would think Mr. Hartman could find something interesting and natural.

RJ_Daley

Re:Down Under: Kauri Cliffs Course & David Harman
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2005, 05:53:55 PM »
The course was the site of a SWWOG with Mike Campbell and Freddy Couples.  They interviewed Roberstson and his archie, Harmon.  It looked like a beautiful course and location on the tube.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Michael Robin

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2005, 08:07:18 PM »
Scott, this is quite a place. About a 3 1/2 hour drive north of Auckland with a small quiet exit and a long driveway to a wonderful lodge. Golf course starts out soft in terms of design dynamics and difficulty thru
3 holes, but then gets rolling. 4 is a great risk/reward par5 named "Cambo" after their Touring Pro Michael Campbell. 5 is a good uphill 180
par 3 over a chasm. 7 is a breathtaking par 3 225 yds over a cliff down to the Bay of Islands (think 16th/Cypress Point). 8 runs along the same
cliffs uphill as a 3-shot par 5. 9 is uphill back to the clubhouse with more of the serious elevation changes that are a hallmark/problem of the design. Backside goes inland for 4 holes with 13 being the only one of note. And then back to the coast for some outstanding holes. 14-17 are all breathtaking, gutwrenching, fear inducing, solid ball striking required, wind beaten beauties. A great par3, a bitch of a 3-shot par5, a driveable par4, and a world class beast of a par4 17th before heading back up the steep hill to the clubhouse with a ho-hum
par5 finish.

The siteing and routing were generated to take advantage of the dramatic ocean holes, but the hilly nature of the property causes some of the other holes to be on less than ideal terrain, primarily on the front side. Still, this is definately a Top 100 and one of the best golf
getaway experiences in the world. The rooms, food and service are all world class. And now the operation is run by the Robertson's son Jay
who is a great host.

Hope that is helpful. Let me know if I can expand on anything more.

MR.

Michael Robin

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2005, 08:35:07 PM »
Scott, by the way, you can't hear too much about Kidnappers. It's that
good.

MR.

Jonathan Cummings

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2005, 06:02:38 AM »
The best comparison of Kauri to Kidnappers is this.  Both sites are top 10 in the world in the golfing views category.  At Kauri you can't take your eyes off the scenery, at Kidnappers, you can't take your eyes off the golf course.

JC

Scott Witter

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2005, 08:29:12 AM »
Michael & Jonathan:

Thanks for the description and thoughts.  Michael, it sounds as though you have mixed feelings, reserved may be the word, but at the same time you really want to give it high praise.  Is it the golf or the scenery that has you wandering?  It doesn't sound as though your "weak" holes hurt the course and perhaps the setting makes up for any weaknessess altogether, though there are many 'purists' on this site who would say only the golf is worth anything.

I see you are paying attention to my post regarding Kidnappers.  Thought I might get a mild reaction from folks in Traverse City Michigan and an honest opinion about Kauri as well.  As opposed to many pictures of golf courses and the ongoing debate about opinions regarding quality, playability as extracted only from the pictures, I would have to say that given the VAST amount of pictures I have seen of Kidnappers, and the good descriptions from those who have played it... I would tend to agree with you that it probably is that good!

I have never heard of David Harman...am I to presume he from Australia?  

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2005, 09:26:29 AM »
Scott,

Dave Harman was from Florida, I think. Unfortunately, he passed away earlier this year.
jeffmingay.com

Scott Witter

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2005, 09:55:37 AM »
Jeff,

Thank you...but I wish you had better news to share.

Jim Thompson

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2005, 11:05:36 AM »
Scott,

Here's Dave's Obit:

Course designer leaves legacy of golf, funny tales

By Steve Elling | Sentinel Staff Writer
Posted January 5, 2005

David Harman had a well-deserved, long-cultivated reputation as a practical joker. At 6 feet 6 and 300 pounds, when he laughed, walls tended to shake, and so did Harman.

For the victims, it was sometimes more of a shudder.

One of his favorite tricks got plenty of mileage, quite literally. Somewhere along the line, Harman bought a gag baby diaper, replete with faux colorings and a complete payload, if you will. When he was flying around the globe to inspect one of his golf-course design projects, he would tuck the soiled diaper into the pocket of the seat in front of him and play dumb.

"Then he'd say, 'Stewardess, I think we have a problem here,' " said Dennis Harman, Dave's older brother.

If the hallmark of a good funnyman is always to leave them wanting more, then Harman accomplished that and then some over his years of building golf courses and friendships. He was buried Tuesday at Dr. Phillips Cemetery after losing a lengthy battle with cancer at age 51.

If you've ever pulled a club from a bag in the Orlando area, odds are decent that you have played one of Harman's designs, which include Orange County National in Winter Garden, Magnolia Plantation in Lake Mary, Shingle Creek in Orlando and a new private course near Sorrento, RedTail Golf Club.

He left a professional legacy that will endure for decades. There are good golf courses situated on nearly every street corner in this town, but not nearly enough guys built along the lines of Harman, who is survived by a wife and three children.

One of his old golf caps was placed atop his large coffin during Tuesday's memorial service at St. Luke's Methodist Church, which was conducted before a packed house. Trust us, it has been a long time since so many folks associated with the Orlando golf industry shed so many tears -- between laughs, of course.

The services were part testimonial, part stand-up comedy. Harman, who died Dec. 28, even requested that a Broadway show tune be included among the hymnals. No question, he would have loved the fact that the church organist played the more somber tunes only after kicking off his wingtips.

The four men who offered remembrances were told to keep it short and sweet. With respect to the former, the foursome failed spectacularly, launching into a series of funny anecdotes. Some folks have a charisma that attracts friends who stick like magnets to a refrigerator. Harman's buddies from Michigan's tiny Hillsdale College turned out in droves for the service, with old friend Tom Klix offering a Delta ditty on a harmonica during the eulogy.

Klix met Harman as a freshman in 1971, when both were digging in for their first day in the dormitory. Harman walked across the hall, stuck out a paw and essentially introduced himself thusly: "Do you like football? Do you like beer?"

Harman started building courses while he was still in college, working summers for Jack Nicklaus' booming design firm and handling the heavy equipment like a kid with oversized Tonka toys. Harman later worked under Arnold Palmer, whose firm has built hundreds of courses worldwide. Nice mentors, obviously.

"How many people can say they've had that opportunity and can put that in their book?" said Orlando course developer Ed Bignon, who spoke at the service. "Pretty impressive."

He formed his own course-construction company in 1980 and eventually relocated to Orlando, where he bought a large bachelor pad near the Bay Hill Club & Lodge. Guests said his worldly possessions consisted of a bed, chair and TV, not to mention two slobbering bulldogs, one of which he named "Sweaty Betty."

The affable Harman apparently realized that you can't grow a golf course without using a load of fertilizer. His gift for spreading the bull, shall we say, was unsurpassed and stood as one of his most endearing qualities.

"He could tell a story like nobody you ever saw in your life," said Bignon, who was blindsided by many of Harman's pranks over the years. "And he could make you believe it."

Over a cold beer, Harman could relate not-so-tall tales of his days in Palmer's employ that made you laugh so hard, you'd nearly fall off the barstool. Some of the stories involved wild-eyed friends and famous golfers who actually did fall off barstools. In the very wee hours.

Some involved him, too. When Harman was still in high school, his mom called brother Dennis in a frantic huff to explain that David had just "disgraced the family." Turns out that Harman and some members of the football team had driven down the main drag of a rival school, "flashing what is commonly referred to as a moon cluster," Dennis laughed.

Many Orlando luminaries came out for the services, including PGA Tour veteran and longtime pal Scott Hoch, Lee Rawls and Gary Myers of the Disney golf division, Dave Scott of Shingle Creek, plus Jim Bell and Roy Saunders from Bay Hill.

Harman was a self-effacing sort who never let a few awards swell his increasingly bald head. When his Kauri Cliffs design in New Zealand was chosen the best international course of 2001 by Golf Digest, Harman all but laughed. Perched on a seaside cliff, the original property was truly spectacular.

Laughed Harman in an aside: "I just tried not to screw it up. Any idiot could have built a great course there. So they obviously hired the right guy."

He branched from construction into design in 1996 and had been working steadily ever since then. The last laugh, apparently, was on his industry friends who thought he was crazy.

"I never thought he could do it, but he pulled it off," Bignon said at the service. "And he did it while the golf industry was in the tank."

Steve Elling can be reached at selling@orlandosentinel.com.

Dave's the big guy in the back-

His nickname in the fraternity house was ole shovel head.  A good guy and a very thinking type of dirt guy.  He is missed...

Cheers!

JT
Jim Thompson

Craig Van Egmond

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2005, 11:15:50 AM »

Sad.. 51 is way too young. Sounds like he lived large though.

Scott Witter

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2005, 02:54:56 PM »
JT,

Thank you.  He was clearly a likeable guy and passed much to young.

Michael Robin

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2005, 06:39:59 PM »
Scott, your assessment of my assessment is pretty spot on. Yes, in purist terms, the course is problematic. But, in an overall visceral
experience, it works. Not a Golf Magazine A, but a B to B+. Still, go see
it and spend a couple of days there, especially if you are travelling with
your spouse. It will get you out of some trouble as you head to the
accommodation challenged Kidnappers and Barnbougle, at least it did me.

MR.

Actually, the facilities at Barnbougle are much nicer now than when we
were at The Bridport Conference Center which is trailers on steroids.

Mark_Guiniven

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2005, 09:50:38 PM »

There were six pearls in the Hans Christian Andersen story. Mr. Robertson has built two. He needs four more. Where's the third?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back