News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike_Clayton

Re:Australia's Top 50 Courses
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2005, 03:45:42 AM »
Tyler

Sorry -I was in a hurry this morning and left it off by mistake.

I had it 14 - but we are doing a bunch of work there now so I will be sure to bump it right up next time!

Sean Walsh

« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2005, 07:29:34 AM »
I have only played approx a third of the list but was suprised by Barwon Heads' position.  Especially on Mike's list.  

I love Port Fairy as a  course but feel that Barwon Heads is superior in all aspects other than the views (Oh and price).  

I would also say that Kennedy Bay is a little high on the list.

Neil,
Yarra Yarra rates highly on your list and that is the most disappointing of the sandbelt course I have played.  Perhaps I was adversely influenced by it relatively poor (I played KH a week before) condition.  It's not a patch on either KH or Barnbougle, in my humble opinion.

Brian Walshe

« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2005, 07:51:05 AM »
Sean,

I had an interesting conversation with Mike about Yarra recently.  I rate it highly probably somewhere in the top 20.  It tends to get hammered a little because its a bit short and it has a pretty ordinary start and finish.  1 thru 4 hardly set the world on fire and the last couple tend to march up and back.  Temper that by looking at 5, 11, 13 and 15 - four holes as good as any around.  There aren't many places with 4 holes of that quality.

It's condition when I have played it over the last few years has been excellent so perhaps you just got it on a bad day.

THe other course I think gets massively under rated is Peninsula North.  If Tom thinks that other archies where a little unfair on Barny Dunes then I think Clayts got ripped badly on Peninsula North.

Brian

Neil_Crafter

« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2005, 02:42:58 PM »
Sean
Yarra Yarra rates highly for me, as after all these are personal lists. Alex Russell's first course in Australia (built before Royal Melbourne West) has therefore the first sandbelt bunkering in the country. It has a number of great holes, some have been mangled in the past, but there is enough there of Russell's best work there to warrant a top 10 spot in my view, but I am predisposed to Russell courses. It was also one of my favourite courses to play - was the leading amateur in the 85 Vic Open played there. As for conditioning, in many ways I think this is the least important category when rating. If you are to take this into account accurately I'd have to tour the country on a non stop basis simply playing courses practically at more than one a week. Who's going to pay me to do that? I've got a business to run and while I attempt to play new and different courses when I can, its not my life's driving force. So, YY may be in less than great condition currently, not that I've heard that. That does not bother me greatly in working out my rankings.

As for Port Fairy above Barwon Heads - spare me!

Brian, if you think Mike got 'ripped badly' by the other architects, just have a look at his list and see whether he 'returned the compliment' - I think you will see he did. Just the way it is when you do your own list. I have only one course that we are involved with currently in the top 50 (Barwon Heads), so perhaps I have less axes to grind than most of the others. For example. I haven't rated 6 of the courses I am involved with in the top 14 in the country, like some who shall remain nameless
 ;D  

Neil

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2005, 02:47:28 PM »
Brian,
There has been a lot done at Yarra Yarra since the mid-eighties that has detracted  a little from the course - althought the most grating alterations were caused by boundary problems.
But surely those bunkers can be filled in now the trees are keeping the balls inside the fence.
Those two bunkers are so out of character with the rest.

If they could magically put back the course of 1950 it would be in the top 10.

It is intersting to see where the architects rated the North course compered with where the others had it - it's the same scenario as Barnbugle
I can't beleive it's the 10 places below The Grand as Bob Harrison thinks.
We are doing 17 after Christmas and that is by far the worst hole on the course.That should make a big difference.

Sean

Barwon Heads v Port Fairy
I could go either way - both are terrific but the best holes at PF - 3,7,14,15,16 - might be better than the best at Barwon.
The poorer holes at PF are worse than the dullest at BH.

Neil_Crafter

« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2005, 05:49:38 PM »
Dear Mr Sacha Baron Cohen / Ali G
Why o why can't you post under your real name, presuming you have one.
I had the Australian at #13 and the full list at #17, so not that far out of step with where others placed it. It ranks very highly on the most difficult scale which has some influence in its ranking, while I have played it competitively it was a tough but fair test of golf. Certainly it has that 1980s feel about it, but what's wrong with that? It is the premier example of its style in Australia, even though it totally demolished what was there before. Should Royal Melbourne be down the list just because it is a 1930s vintage Mackenzie/Russell/Morcom course?  ;) What is your point?

The 18th may feel familiar but its still remains a dramatic finishing hole in a tournament.

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2005, 06:02:43 PM »
Neil,

I thought Ran had invoked a new rule that people had to post using their real names? So perhaps that post is actually from Ali G?!

Westside  ;D
« Last Edit: December 08, 2005, 06:03:16 PM by Jeff_Mingay »
jeffmingay.com

Neil_Crafter

« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2005, 11:28:37 PM »
Jeff
Ali G's post has disappeared off our screens (thanks to Ran's long arm of the law), so think it safe to assume it is not the real Ali G ;D
cheers Neil

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back