News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Hendren

Water Long
« on: December 08, 2005, 10:39:44 AM »
Water immediately behind the putting surface is an under-utilized architectural feature - particularly on a "birdie hole."  The 17th at TPC and 9th at Victoria National come to mind.  

Where else is this feature prevalent and should it be used more routinely from a strategic perspective?

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

david h. carroll

Re:Water Long
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2005, 10:43:58 AM »
I always felt as if the 5th at Long Cove had that water long defense on the approach....at least the way I played it--taking it as far down the right side as possible off the tee and then blind lob to the green with that lagoon behind

Perhaps it's more of a Pete Dye thing.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2005, 10:58:26 AM »
I thought I saw the feature at Forrest Creek....it must be a Fazio thing..

Dale_McCallon

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2005, 11:01:23 AM »
If its a Dye/Fazio thing it must be bad.

What about the 17th at Congressional?  Not a birdie hole, but I remember when the Open was there on Sunday, the flag almost looked liked it was in the water.  I'm sure a few guys puckered up over that one.

Steve Curry

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2005, 11:01:37 AM »
The way I played I can't remember how in play it was but the 16th at Saratoga National...

must be a Ruelwich thing?

RDecker

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2005, 12:38:08 PM »
Eden hole... must be an Ol' Tom thing.

Tyler Kearns

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2005, 12:44:38 PM »
Whitman & Mingay used this feature on the par 5 11th at Blackhawk in Alberta. Unfortunately, I made a mess of this hole, but can imagine the premium it places on distance control for a long approach shot. With an abrupt slope 40-50 yards short of the green (feeding the ball onto the putting surface), a ball can really get away from you if you haven't accurately gauged the distance and trajectory of your shot.

TK

Sean Leary

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2005, 12:45:04 PM »
There is a short par 4 hole on the back side of Druid Hills where this is used effectively. 12 maybe? MAkes the wedge second a butt clencher

Andy Hughes

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2005, 01:11:16 PM »
"birdie hole."  The 17th at TPC
Bogey, I'd add the hole right before it (much more of a birdie hole too),
The 15th at Augusta (the 'real' one, not Turboe's!) too.
"Perhaps I'm incorrect..."--P. Mucci 6/7/2007

PThomas

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2005, 01:20:45 PM »
Dale - I think Tom Lehman may have puckered up at COngressional's 17th.....

and Monty too...even though he didn't go in the water!
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Jason Blasberg

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2005, 01:24:01 PM »
On the 11th at Cuscowilla it's certainly a factor when the pin is on the back shelf.  It's never more than a 9-iron or so but when the pin is back and the wind is blowing the front swale catches a lot of shots.  

I would add that it need not be water but any formidable hazard functions the same way, including severe back to front green undulation.  Although visually, staring at water behind is likely the most intimidating, especially if the shot is playing down hill and/or down wind.    

Jim Adkisson

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2005, 03:39:35 PM »
The Peter Jacobsen/Jim Hardy designed Stonecreek Golf Course's 17th hole is a mid length 4 with water guarding the right side all the way around the back...a tough long iron/fairway wood for the average slicer...

But the most hazardous carry to the back water happened when one of my buddies was looking for his long ball and he let his tricycle cart roll down the embankment, flipping over and jettisoning all of his clubs into the drink... :o

Nothing like having a 250 pounder wading in the muck up to his Phil-like man breasts fishing out his R5, Futura and Titleist Volkeys! ;D

The next week he showed up with a life-preserver wrapped around his trolley....LONG LIVE FLIPPER!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back