News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David_Tepper

'Fifty Places To Play Golf Before You Die'
« on: November 01, 2005, 07:01:16 PM »
I came across this new book ('Fifty Places To Play Golf Before You Die', edited by Chris Santella) today for the first time. It is a companion to a similarly titled book on fly-fishing.

It is NOT a book attempting to identify the 50 "best" golf courses in the world.

The choices were interesting. The 3 courses picked in California were San Francisco GC, Pebble Beach and Pacific Grove Muni. The 2 courses picked in Scotland were The Old Course and Durness (which is a rustic 9-hole course on the northwest tip of Scotland).

I really did not get a chance to read the selection criteria. Certainly a lot more than GCA was involved.        

Yancey_Beamer

Re:'Fifty Places To Play Golf Before You Die'
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2005, 07:23:00 PM »
Great!

Just driving to Durness is a life changing adventure in itself!

Brad Klein

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2005, 07:48:03 PM »
Two years ago, Tim Liddy, Bill Cosgrove, Glen Rapoport and myself took "a day off" from golf in Dornoch-Tain-Brora and made the day-long trek to Durness and back.

It howled 50 mph up there, and of course we played the nine. Just before heading off, we bumped into the crazed bag lady of a housekeeper at "the clubhouse," who confessed to us in a state of raging despair that after twenty years there the weather had gotten to her and her husband.

"The wind blows your brains out," she said.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2005, 08:54:10 PM »
Brad Klein,

How much of a shock was the mandate to go to the large ball to the locals ?

How much do you think it affected play in locations like the one you describe ?
« Last Edit: November 01, 2005, 08:54:50 PM by Patrick_Mucci »

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2005, 08:59:25 PM »
Michael Moore,

That can't be the only club buffeted by wind in those parts.

Michael Moore

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2005, 09:06:17 PM »
Pat -

I deleted my response because it was made in haste and because of that wrong.

I had written that Durness was founded in 1988 and therefore had nothing to do with the small ball.

But a minute's worth of Google led me back to this very site where John Vander Brought, in a great essay on a previous ill-fated rollback attempt, points out that the R&A adopted the larger ball in 1990!

I need to accept the impending end of the Maine golf season more graciously, attach my muzzle, and leave you good people alone for a while.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2005, 09:06:33 PM by Michael Moore »
Metaphor is social and shares the table with the objects it intertwines and the attitudes it reconciles. Opinion, like the Michelin inspector, dines alone. - Adam Gopnik, The Table Comes First

David_Tepper

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2005, 09:13:55 PM »
I had a chance to look a little more closely at this book. Basically, it is 50 opinions/essays on "my favorite/most memorable" golf course. Contributors include Christie Kerr (Mirabel), Ken Howard ("The White Shadow" picks Ugolino in Tuscany), Bill Coore (Prairie Dunes), Brian Hewitt (San Francisco GC), Ty Wenger (Durness), Pete Dye, Nick Faldo (Royal Melbourne) and The Donald himself (guess which course he picked!).

Jason Blasberg

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2005, 05:26:47 PM »
I just recently picked up a copy for my coffee table.  It does have some good essay reading and cool photos of far out places :o

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back