News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brian Joines

Point O'Woods?
« on: June 17, 2003, 02:21:31 AM »
Anyone know anything about this course? It's located in Benton Harbor, MI, only an hour or so north of me, its rated highly by Golf Mag ( I believe) and I've never heard of it. Obviously private but does it live up to its rankings? how exclusive is it?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

Mitch Hantman

Re: Point O'Woods?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2003, 04:09:37 AM »
Just my opinion, but I found it to be somewhat overrated.  Good, but not great.  It has hosted many Western Opens.

JakaB

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2003, 05:07:56 AM »
Just my opinion but I found it to be a pinch underrated...its better than most everything else I have not played.

SL_Solow

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2003, 05:37:37 AM »
It has never held a Western Open but it is the annual host of the Western Amateur.  It is a very good Robert Trent Jones course exhibiting all the strengths and weaknesses of his style.  It has held up well under the assault of the top amateurs.  It is a "big" golf course with large features and it plays very firm most of the time due to its sand base as it is very close to the dunes.  Having said all that, it is less interesting than the Dunes, the terrific 9 hole club which was Mike Keiser's first foray into course building (architect Dick Nugent) and Lost Dunes, Tom Doak's foray into reclaiming a sand quarry.  Both are within several minutes of Point O' Woods   All three are worth the trip.

bill_k

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2003, 05:50:42 AM »
Point O' Woods is indeed a good golf course. For the record, it has hosted the Western Am.-not the Open, since the early 70's. I have played it a number of times and there are several holes there worth mentioning-the par 5 2nd with the second shot over a ravine, the short par 4 5th, and the long par 3 17th across water. However, it is perhaps the most heavily wooded golf course I have ever played. Several holes, most notably the dogleg par 4 7th, almost seem as if they employ trees as the hole's primary hazard (primarily from the tee). I have never understood the ranking thing, because it is not even the best course in Berrien County, Michigan.

Andy Troeger

Re:Point O'Woods?
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2005, 08:33:19 PM »
Came across this older thread and thought I'd add some thoughts. I would agree with JakaB that the Point is underrated. Its very different from the Dunes (have not played Lost Dunes), but I prefer the Point. #9 par three would make my short list of favorite holes anywhere. They did a nice job renovating their bunkers recently, and got rewarded with being dumped from the GD 100.

Also from my understanding (and I could be wrong), they don't set the course up as hard as they could for the Western Am, especially the first few rounds with the full field. Also scores if I remember right were higher this year. I think somebody realized that scoring was getting out of hand; to me the Point could hold up if they wanted it to.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back