News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tiger_Bernhardt

Birmingham Ala
« on: October 27, 2005, 07:00:08 PM »
Hi guys I am heading to Birmingham in a few weeks to watch my beloved Tigers dust the Tide. We are playing at Shoal Creek. I am thinking of two more rounds. Birmingham CC west has my attention. is there another course or two one would put abve BCC? Tiger Bernhardt
« Last Edit: October 27, 2005, 07:00:24 PM by Tiger_Bernhardt »

Jim_Coleman

Re:Birmingham Ala
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2005, 07:33:21 PM »
   Feel free to skip Ross Bridge - the latest addition to "The Trail."  Big, but bad.

John Yerger

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2005, 07:35:43 PM »
I understand Old Overton is a pretty good layout.
I might be able to help you through the coaches at UAB.
I have to tell you it kills me to help a Bama fan.
Geaux Tigers!

Bill_McBride

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2005, 07:58:51 PM »
John, Birmingham West (the Ross untouched by Dye) and probably Mountain Brook.  Give me a call, I may be able to join the festivities.  I'm playing Mt Brook 11/9.

Geaux Tigers!  8)

John Yerger

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2005, 08:08:58 PM »
I wish I was going. I have played Birmingham CC nines. I understand there is some discussion about bringing back Ross's original greens. Do you know anything about that. Shoal Creek is a great set-up. Stunmle out of the cottage right to the first tee. One of the few Nicklaus courses that I really think is good. Cheer on those Tigres! I apologize for misreading Tiger Bernhardts original message. I'm sure I couldn't have insulted him more than by infering that he was a Bama fan!

jim_lewis

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2005, 09:47:27 PM »
Tiger:

I played Mountain Brook a couple of weeks ago and Birmingham CC West a year or so ago. Both are fine courses, but if you are looking to play a Ross course, you want find much Ross at Birmingham CC. Pete Dye made significant changes and made no apparent attempt to "restore" to Ross's original design. Still, it's a fine course. On the otherhand, Brian Silva did a pretty faithful job of repecting the original Ross design at Mountain Brook. They were able to find Ross's drawings and they are displayed in the clubhouse. You will notice that Silva stuck in a touch of Raynor with a punchbowl, a redan (sort of) and a biarritz green. The biarritz is a modified version with the swale running front to back. Frankly, I preferred the Mountain Brook course. It has as much variety in length of the 3's, 4's, and 5's and any course I can recall playing. A Ross purist will definitely prefer Mountain Brook, but you can't go wrong with either. Both will be a nice compliment to Shoal creek.

Jim Lewis
"Crusty"  Jim
Freelance Curmudgeon

Bill_McBride

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2005, 10:38:18 PM »
Jim, I was nursing a hand injury so didn't play Mountain Brook a couple of weeks ago, but did walk the course with a foursome.  Brian Silva did a good job restoring many Ross features, including grass faced bunkers of real quality.

Mountain Brook is fascinating in its varied terrain.  I posted some photos after my tour (and only of the first few holes before my battery died  :-[).  The first couple of holes are in the flat flood plain valley below the clubhouse, then the course goes up into the hillside south of the valley.  Interestingly enough, the hillside holes have almost no greenside bunkering, but little is needed as the severe slopes around the greens present plenty of challenge.

By contrast, the valley holes are well-bunkered and present fun challenges featuring a wide and deep creek that runs throughout that valley.  There are a couple of holes late in the round that are a bit out of character for Ross -- #15 has way too many bunkers around a hillside par 3 green -- but the finisher is a tricky dogleg with a wide fairway hidden by bunkers and a big oak.

I'm back up there for a round Nov 9th and looking forward to it.  So far we have two, if there are GCAers who might have access to this fine old, well-restored course, shoot me an IM.

JWL

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2005, 11:02:55 PM »
I hope you enjoy your trip to Birmingham and especially to the game.  
I am going over next Monday to meet with Hall Thompson.   I have been "tweaking" the course with him since prior to the last PGA.   This trip is to try to find some length in preparation for the 2008 USGA Junior.  Can you believe it?   This course has held a US Amateur and two PGA Chmps, and Mr. Thompson wants to investigate lenthening the course for juniors.   Something just seems out of whack with that picture to me.
I am also going to try to play in the Shoal Creek Senior Amateur tournament Tues thru Thurs.   It has been a very busy year and I have played very little competitive golf, but I am going to try to find some semblance of a game this weekend in hope of not embarassing myself.
GEAUX TIGERS!

Mike Hendren

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2005, 09:23:57 AM »
Tiger,

I enjoyed our round together in Nashville so much, perhaps I'll float down to Birmingham and join you:

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2005, 11:09:37 AM »
lol Mike I am so glad you will bring the family vehicle to see me in Alabama. This has the makings of a really fun trip now. John, being that I am reading, writing, spelling, typing and comprehensionly challenged, how could I give you a hard time for making such a huge blunder on first pass by one of my posts. I will check with all of you guys and see if a round or two can be put together. Bill, what time are you playing on the 9th? It is always better to be in Alabama before a game rather than after. They Tide types can be poor winners and very poor losers.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2005, 11:22:15 AM by Tiger_Bernhardt »

Daryl "Turboe" Boe

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2005, 07:23:33 PM »
Obviously it sounds like access is no problem for you.  Mountian Brook is indeed a pleasure.  I played it about a month ago and it is a treat.

Old Overton is visually spectacular, and a great club atmosphere.

Really you cant go wrong with any of the aforementioned.  

If I get some time I might post some pics of Mountian Brook.
Instagram: @thequestfor3000

"Time spent playing golf is not deducted from ones lifespan."

"We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2005, 11:41:03 AM »
Turboe, Access is always an issue. I just have a positive attitude that things will work out, which they usually do. The Pro at Birmingham CC used to be the Pro at my club,so I have high hopes on that one. However one never knows about club events etc., especially on a weekend. I am excited to be going to see some great places and play some golf. I look forward to your pictures.

William King

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2005, 08:05:43 AM »
You could try the Capstone Club, a Gil Hanse design over towards Tuscaloosa way (brookwood exit).

BCrosby

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2005, 08:48:50 AM »
I understand Capstone is having some financial difficulties and is struggling a bit, but I have neard nothing but raves about Gil's design. I hope to get there next year.

Bob  

Daryl "Turboe" Boe

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2005, 09:01:27 AM »
Capstone is good.   Worth the drive over towards Tuscaloosa especially if you are going to Tuscaloosa for the game anyway.  ALthough I dont know how crowded that gets around a home game as the Capstone Club has some relationship to the UofAL or the Alumni group or something.

Tiger are you talking about Ben Freeman at CC of Birmingham.  If you know him, I would guess he is very well connected all over Birmingham.

"We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

John Goodman

« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2005, 09:38:20 AM »
Here's my take on the courses in the Bham area (say, within 30 or 45 minutes):

1.  Shoal Creek (Nicklaus)
2.  Birmingham CC (West) (Ross; Dye)
3.  Old Overton (Fazio)  
4.  Limestone Springs (Oneonta AL; public; Pate).  
5.  Greystone GC (Legacy)  (Rees Jones)  
6.  Farm Links (Sylacauga AL; public; Hurdzan/Fry)
7.  Mountain Brook Club (Ross; Silva)
8.  Capstone Club (Brookwood AL; public;Hanse)
9.  Greystone GC (Founders) (Cupp)
10.  Ballantrae GC (Pelham AL; public; Cupp)
11.  Timberline GC (Montevallo AL; public; Pate)

Birmingham's RTJ courses are some of the Trail's weaker offerings in my view.  Ross Bridge is in better condition and is a marginally better layout than either the Ridge or the Valley, but in my opinion is routed over ground that is excessively hilly, both the holes and greens tend to the repetitious, and at $100 is by a good bit the most expensive public track in Bham.  (Farm Links also costs $100, but that's for unlimited golf, and range balls and lunch are included.  It's a way better course also.)

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2005, 09:44:09 AM »
Turboe, Yes I am, Ben was at Oakbourne in Lafayette, La before the obvious career move up to Birmingham CC. However with all moves there is a down side to go with the upside of bigger city and well established club with plenty of resouces. He has to deal with the Tide types. I am hoping to get a quick look at Capstone. I think it will be packed in the morning on game day.

William King

« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2005, 10:49:18 PM »
I understand Capstone is having some financial difficulties and is struggling a bit, but I have neard nothing but raves about Gil's design. I hope to get there next year.

Bob  

I've only had the pleasure of playing it once. I would like to go back and explore it some more.

Bob Barriger

« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2005, 09:01:26 PM »
Having played most of the above, if the privates are not available, Limestone Springs would  be my first choice. On a fairly direct route, mostly 4 lane from Birmingham. Simon Coulls is the contact person there, him and Monty married sisters.

Daryl "Turboe" Boe

« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2005, 09:44:05 PM »
Having played most of the above, if the privates are not available, Limestone Springs would  be my first choice. On a fairly direct route, mostly 4 lane from Birmingham. Simon Coulls is the contact person there, him and Monty married sisters.

Is Limestone Springs semi-private now or what?  I remember calling there one time a few years ago, and they didnt seem to be very interested in outside play.   I rode around the course when it first opened but didnt have time to play, I have been thinking about getting back out there since then, but time has conspired against me.

Remind me again exactly how do you get out there.  I remember coming in from the north, and it was a difficult to find it back then anyway.

« Last Edit: November 01, 2005, 09:44:30 PM by Turboe »

Bill_McBride

« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2005, 08:41:31 AM »
www.limestonesprings.com

35 miles N of Birmingham according to their web site.

John Goodman

« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2005, 09:19:43 AM »
Turboe,

Limestone has memberships but has unrestricted daily fee play as well.  I think they had trouble getting enough members (and selling enough houses) out there and had to go public some years ago.  

To get there from Bham, take Highway 79N off of I20-59.  After ten miles or so, turn right onto HIghway 75 (just past Pinson AL).  Stay on Highway 75 for maybe another ten miles, and follow the signs.  You'll turn left off 75 onto I believe county road 15 (there's a big Limestone Springs sign where you turn).  The club is about a mile down the road on your right.   You can also get there from I59 by taking the Highway 75 exit (I think it's the Roebuck Parkway exit), then look for the signs as above.

Looking at what I wrote, I guess it sort of is in the middle of nowhere.  Last time I was out there, it was still a dry county, so you'll have to come back to Bham for a beer after your round.  

Mike Hendren

« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2005, 09:34:46 AM »
The Other Senior Tour visited Limestone Springs this year and will likely return.  A few photographs:

From behind the par 5 16th (or 7th if I have the nines switched):

Neat center line bunker on the dog-leg left two-shot 17th:

This is rather remote, and in a dry county to boot.  Then again, the Other Senior Tour beverage manager does stellar work!

Outside play is welcomed.

Mike

Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Sam Sikes

« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2005, 01:29:20 PM »
Am i the only person on this board that loves Birmingham west.  The consensus that I have read is that it is too severe.  That is hogwash.  Not to mention the CC of birmingham is one of the all time best COUNTRY CLUBS.  In my opinion, its right up there with Country in Pepper Pike, Ohio.  Thoughts?

John Goodman

« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2005, 02:09:52 PM »
I'm a fan of BCC West as well Sam (I have it at #2 metro Bham).  It has a number of very fine holes; I'm thinking of 1, 2, 4, 7, 8, 10 and 14 through 18.  (The approach at 17 is really cool - best play almost always is to hit something short, left and low, then watch it bound right and run down the green).  

I don't understand the severity complaint either.  The greens (where the course mostly defends itself) can be tricky, but because of their sublety rather than severity IMO.

Maybe some folks look a little askance at the West 'cause it's not remotely Ross anymore?        

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back