News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

PThomas

Lochenheath in Michigan?
« on: October 25, 2005, 12:34:01 PM »
hello friends :)

stumbled across the name of this Smyers course this morning...anyone been there?  I don't recall any past threads on it

have a great day

pt
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Peter Pratt

Re:Lochenheath in Michigan?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2005, 01:28:18 PM »
It was once open to the public and is now private. A very good golf course that is hampered some by too many greens with false fronts (#2, 6, 8, 12, 18). Very interesting bunkering and green sites. Very tough and very hilly. I'd put it in the top 15-20 in Michigan.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2005, 07:07:58 PM »
DCronan:

I have heard from a few contacts of mine familiar with the Michigan golf landscape that Lochenheath is even better than Peter Pratt alluded to -- a certifiable top 10 course in the state.

Although you are a member and clearly have a conflict of interest -- I'd be curious to your own assessments of its overall standing statewide or at the least in Northern MI.

What type of changes are you speaking about? Is such an effort to "dumb down" the Smyers layout.

I had plans to visit the course when I was returning to Jersey from Greywalls but poor weather precluded that possibility.

A summer visit in '06 is on my agenda to see a few other layouts in the area. Maybe we can hook-up for a game there.

Peter Pratt

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2005, 09:56:40 AM »
It sounds to me, Matt, that the changes to the golf course make it better. The severity of the property, especially around the greens, really limited options. These changes appear to create more options without dumbing it down. It would have to go a long way to dumb it down!

Brad Klein

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2005, 10:05:48 AM »
The strongest thing going for Lockenheath is that it's better than its neighbors across the street at Grand Traverse Resort. Not that the honor is very honorable.

Some solid holes, interesting angles, characteristic deep Smyers bunkering, but the land plan was very constricted on the opening few holes by the main road, and in the middle of the course it gets cramped by housing and roads.

I played it in Sept. 2004, just before Smyers was going to renovate and partially reroute the place. His plans definitely looked like an improvement.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2005, 10:06:00 AM by Brad Klein »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back