News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jeff Goldman

XGD system by TDI International
« on: October 31, 2005, 04:39:12 PM »
Does anyone know anything about a drainage system for greens (mostly old push up greens) developed by T.D.I. International called something like "XGD"?  An article on Golfom says that Oakmont has/is installing it, as have a few other places.  Any idea of whether/how it works, or what it costs?  Thanks.

Jeff Goldman  
« Last Edit: October 31, 2005, 04:39:41 PM by Jeff Goldman »
That was one hellacious beaver.

Chris Munoz

Re:XGD system by TDI International
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2005, 05:33:47 PM »
Jeff, the XGD system works.  I worked at The Meadow Brook Hunt Club, installed it about 3 years ago and the greens drain great.  And the installing it is easy and TDI does a great job...very neat.  After they are done, its like they were not even there.  What one needs to remember is to start a topdressing or keep up with the topdressing program, it will only help in the drainage.  

http://www.greensdrainage.com/

Chris Munoz
Christian C. Munoz
Assistant Superintendent Corales
PUNTACANA Resort & Club
www.puntacana.com

Jeff Goldman

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2005, 05:59:28 PM »
Chris,

Thanks!  I saw the website.  Any idea what this costs?

Jeff
That was one hellacious beaver.

Ian Andrew

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2005, 06:19:28 PM »
Jeff,

Saw them put it in Mississauga more than 10 years ago when this was a new system.

It is an excellent system. NO damage, very minimal disruption, and it works. That I can confirm. They've done this at many well known clubs, just check out their list of clients.

It works by cutting drain lines right into the native soil, that is either backfiled with the native material or with an appropriate sand in bad soils. It works like any green drainage would.

They dig the lines with which ever equipment the site demands, on plywood, and they remove any excessive soil left over. The sod is stripped by custom shovels that ensure a nice clean trench (and the sod goes back in just as clean as it's cut. Ready for play almost immediately.

It costs around 10,000 US for the average sized green.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2005, 06:24:31 PM by Ian Andrew »

Kelly Blake Moran

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2005, 06:52:30 PM »
Jeff,

I have heard good things as has been echoed here.  I am doing a renovation and they wanted to do it on one hole.  I have heard the company wants to do several greens at a time so they will provide the information to a contractor for one or two greens, at least that is what another contractor told me.  The USGA basically hands out the companies brochure when they make site visits so they must endorse it.

The soil sample tested in the one green I spoke of was good.  I advised the club to go one step at a time.  First we cleared several trees, next they will thin out the remaining trees, and we will see how the green responds.  I see it as a possible alternative but only after the basic problems have been addressed, and if the green still does not respond well.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2005, 06:53:38 PM by Kelly Blake Moran »

gookin

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2005, 06:09:40 PM »
At Fox Chapel we did one green last year and we have two more going on right now including our short.  This work is desperately needed on our 1925 vintage Raynor push up greens.  The difference on the one green was amazing.  It was our punchbowl green which could hold water for 4-5 hours after a 1 inch rain.  We went all of last season without a single puddle forming. The way the drain is layed out you can watch the water pour out after a rain. You can imagine what this will mean for improved turf quality. This is now after one season on the verge of being our best green.  Cost is determined by size about $1.80 per square ft plus topdressing to fill the drainage ditches with the opportunity for a small volume discount.  Play can resume almost immediately after they are finished. I believe Oakmont has done all of their greens.  We plan to do most of ours over a three to four year plan. I am told that this process delivers most of what you can expect from a total rebuild per USGA sand green specs for about 1/3 of the cost.  We are very happy with ours.

TEPaul

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2005, 07:07:55 PM »
Is this process that herring-bone pattern looking thing?

JohnV

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2005, 08:51:33 PM »
We (Hannastown) just had it recommended for our second green which is somewhat of a punch bowl and has drainage problems.  It was also recommended that we remove a tree beside the green which will help.

I'm not sure which if any of these will be done, but I'll definitely let the people at the club know that it sounds like a good thing.

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2005, 09:17:26 PM »
TDI drained the greens at Essex (Ross, 1929) in Windsor, Ont. using this method a number of years ago now - probably 6-7 years ago. I haven't talked to the super. about it, but it seems it was a success at Essex as well.

I recall the job was very efficiently done, and tidy. And that the greens were back in play in no time.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2005, 09:18:10 PM by Jeff_Mingay »
jeffmingay.com

Mark Studer

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2005, 09:27:03 AM »
Tommy- Yes it is the "herringbone" thing.  I first saw it installed on the 6th green at Pine VAlley in 2000.  John Zimmers recommended that we try it at Oakmont on our  2  worst ponding greens and we did it in may of 2001 on the 6th and 8th greens.  I was chairing the green committe then, and to say the least, I was "concerned" about digging  on those 1903 greens.   It was amazing how little damage was done.  John and his  Oakmont crew had to spend some extra time topdressing for that season but when it rained you could see  water flowing out of the drainage area with the flow of a toilet flushing.  An interesting discovery on the 8th! When they used the  ditch witch to dig the 3 inch wide, 30 inch deep trench,  they hit an oversized horseshoe that had to be from part of the original construction.  At Oakmont, we did the 4th, 14th, and 15th in 2003 and will finish the rest of our greens this fall.  When you aerify now, you do not smell the rotten organic stench like before the process.    Rolling Rock Club did all the original 9 Ross greens this fall and they are already draining much better and firming up  better than ever.   I know it is working on the 2nd(punchbowl) at Fox Chapel and cannot wait to see the rest of those great greens firmed up by this process. Great invention and it is working here.........so far.
The First Tee:Golf Lessons/Life Lessons

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back