News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

ForkaB

Re:The apocalypse is coming to Rustic Canyon!
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2005, 12:05:42 PM »
"No offense Mike, but I am for more interested in what guys such as Mac and Mac, who were there, thought about this issue than any opinions you could draw from a quick list of 1890's courses, some of which were courses before Old Tom or any other touring professional came into messing with these things."

Dave M.

What inspires you to write such silly things?  Hopefully not the burdens of fatherhood?  I know from experience if you spend a lot of time going "Ga Ga!  Goo Goo!" it affects your ability to think clearly.  Not to mention the effect of various the toxic fumes you are exposed to daily......

Mc was around St. Andrews as a student in th e1870's (when it was in the middle of OTM's 40 year "renovation"), but didn't really study any of the other great courses until many years later.  (BTW, he thought very highly of Old Tom, but you can dismiss this, if you wish, if it doesn't suit your speculations.... :)).  Mac didn't even play golf until the 20th century.  The only thing he could really have known about GCA in the 1890's was what he read in the papers, probably many years after they were published.  Don't fall for the MacWood fallacy of believing everything you read that was written by DWEMs. :)

All the best

Rich

John_Cullum

« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2005, 12:42:24 PM »
And with that wonderful picture of my friend Bob Huntley playing golf at that outstanding golf course, I say thanks and it's been fun.  

So Dr. Childs claims another one.
"We finally beat Medicare. "

Geoffrey Childs

« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2005, 01:43:16 PM »
And with that wonderful picture of my friend Bob Huntley playing golf at that outstanding golf course, I say thanks and it's been fun.  

So Dr. Childs claims another one.

Yeah - some wiseguy takes pot shots at a group that he thinks won't see it and gets called out on it and then won't even apologize.  Boo Hoo  :'(  :'(  :'( Pathetic

rgkeller

« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2005, 02:13:16 PM »
>I hear again and again on here that good golfers are so skillful that they dont have to worry about most architectural features<

Well, perhaps you are listening to the wrong people.

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2005, 03:01:36 PM »
Not that it matters, but I have read Mr. Gracely's original post several times and I agree with those who are convinced he was joking, and meant no offense to a group of guys who were unlikely to take any.
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

ForkaB

« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2005, 04:29:48 PM »
Dave

You are being goofy, but you are loveable when you are goofy!  Keep it up--there is far too much rationality on this site.... ;)

Jim Nugent

« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2005, 05:25:21 PM »
Not that it matters, but I have read Mr. Gracely's original post several times and I agree with those who are convinced he was joking, and meant no offense to a group of guys who were unlikely to take any.

The group of guys did take offense.  At least some of them did.  They did not believe Gracely was joking.  

I think they are wrong.  But can also see why they might feel that way.  

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2005, 12:23:02 AM »

The group of guys did take offense.  At least some of them did.  They did not believe Gracely was joking.  

I think they are wrong.  But can also see why they might feel that way.  

Jeez, BSG (a commercial enterprise, BTW) is fodder for jokes on any number of forums.  Most get the humor/ribbing, except maybe those who are either economically beholden to the Pied Piper over there, or who perhaps lack a sense of humor.

The first post in this thread was about as tame as it gets.  If BG posted something similar to it over at BSG, he would be banned in a NY minute....its naive to think any differently.  Also naive to think that a post at GCA is "private"...this board is open for guest viewing and anything written here is "public".  

Back to GCA...hope the guys from other forums enjoy Rustic as much as many of us do.
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back