News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Greg Beaulieu

Brightwood Votes to Move
« on: October 05, 2005, 07:23:06 PM »
Those with long memories may recall my posting last year about the issues surrounding my home course, Brightwood, in Dartmouth, Nova Scotia. After much deliberation and negotiation, a vote was held this weekend on whether to do a land swap with a developer and trade the existing Willie Park course in the middle of town for a new course about 15 minutes away. Much to my surprise, the vote was 80% in favor (75% was needed), so Brightwood will be moving and the old course turned into housing.

The old course is really not a great track and doesn't have a whole lot going for it other than location and tradition. Membership has been in a steady decline due to the course layout becoming outdated and the lack of practice facilities. The advent of a number of new clubs locally has added to the pressure, and the course is too close to homes that have begun to threaten liability suits over stray golf balls. Finally, it needs a significant investment to upgrade it, so the membership decided to throw in the towel.

The proposed new course has a lake in play, but the design has changed somewhat from what was first considered. The architect remains Les Furber, but the island green he proposed thankfully does not appear to be in the deal (although some members seem to want it). The originally-proposed 27-hole layout is down to 18 with an option for the club to buy the land for an additional 9 (Jeff Mingay, there's hope for you yet!). No more bent-grass fairways apparently either. It will be a much longer (7200 from the tips) course with a full practice facility, shiny new clubhouse, and allegedly all the amenities. The new course is supposed to be ready in 3 years.

I know Furber gets mixed reviews on here but the design committee was wowed by him so hopefully he will produce a good course.

Adam_F_Collins

Re:Brightwood Votes to Move
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2005, 09:35:00 PM »
The vote was not a shock to me. I really like the old course myself, but I know that the modern golfer (especially the younger one) wants lots of yardage and level lies. I'm sure that Mr. Furber will bulldoze some out for them.

From my understanding, they have gone back to including the optional island green - and sadly, it will probably sell memberships, and that's what they want.

The Furber routing plan is in the clubhouse and you can tell little from it. I was a bit concerned to find that three of the four par 3's play in the same direction to the wind and that their lengths don't vary much - also that there are no really long par fours. However, there is often a substantial difference between a routing plan and the final product, so we shall see.

In order to survive, Brightwood had to move. The 5500 yard layout was just not keeping the membership filled, and there is no room to grow. The move was imperative to survival.

I do hope Les Furber uses this high-profile opportunity to establish himself in Nova Scotia by doing a superlative job - but I remain pessimistic. However, on the brighter side - even if the course is mediocre, I'm comforted by the fact that the new course is made of earth, and earth can be reshaped.

I think the move will give the club the economic strength to survive.

I'm hoping to do a lot of photography of the old course before it's covered with condos. All those humps and bumps and blind shots. Right downtown, overlooking the city and the ocean...

I'll miss it.

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2005, 11:22:42 PM »
Hey, I thought Canadians were supposed to be smarter?

Well, Anyway, here's hoping you don't get one of these in your future.

Philippe Binette

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2005, 08:02:51 AM »
What's wrong with that hole...

A nice lake
A copy of the Swilken Bridge
A low-profile green à la Garden City
Three options of the tee (the splasher, the high pitch and the skipper)

Ben Cowan-Dewar

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2005, 08:06:18 AM »
Gents,
There is much more exciting news on the Nova Scotia golf scene, just check today's Chronicle Herald.

Greg Beaulieu

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2005, 08:43:46 AM »
Gents,
There is much more exciting news on the Nova Scotia golf scene, just check today's Chronicle Herald.

Well, I don't know about that!?! It all depends on your perspective I guess. Personally, I'm happy to look forward to a new Brightwood. But I just finished posting about your news, Ben. Do you have a link to any pictures of the site? I can no longer find them online.

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2005, 10:26:39 AM »
I know Furber gets mixed reviews on here but the design committee was wowed by him so hopefully he will produce a good course.

Mixed reviews... where were you when we were talking about SilverTip????
http://www.silvertipresort.com/html/index.php

The only zero I've ever seen.
My brain still hurts...

Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2005, 11:05:12 AM »
What's wrong with that hole...

A nice lake
A copy of the Swilken Bridge
A low-profile green à la Garden City
Three options of the tee (the splasher, the high pitch and the skipper)

Philippe- If you have to ask...

But since you did, this hole is afront to quality gca. It is the worst hole I've been subjected to, in a long long time. Maybe it's the square shape? Or, that it is completely surrounded by bunkers? Maybe it's that the rock work, on the wall of the bridge, is so out of place, both aesthetically and fiduciarily. Maybe it's because it's a drop shot?

Let me count the ways...

Greg Beaulieu

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2005, 11:59:41 AM »

Mixed reviews... where were you when we were talking about SilverTip????
http://www.silvertipresort.com/html/index.php

The only zero I've ever seen.
My brain still hurts...

LOL. Mixed, in that I thought I read that somebody liked his work... :-)

I hadn't seen that Silvertip discussion. Ouch. I would not have picked him myself, but I wasn't on the committee.

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2005, 08:48:31 PM »
Greg,

As we've discussed in the past, an opportunity to design/built a new course for historic Brightwood is a dream job in our eyes. Too bad Rod and I we're even given an opportunity to present our thoughts to your club.

Oh well... come up to Inverness when we're done!
jeffmingay.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back