News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jonathan Cummings

Tumble Creek
« on: October 04, 2005, 09:52:55 AM »
Just played Tumble Creek Club with head pro, Scott Syns.  Absolutely stunning setting.  I'm still sorting my feelings out about the course.  

I played 'the Doak' tees and played off the Doak card (Tom's course within a course) and found it short but quite tough.  An outward half, very penal and demanding on those that hit it left, is punctuated by the jaw-dropping 4th - a sloping par 5 which may require seat belts to play safely.

Back nine works its way down to a flatter valley and plays around with some water features.

Barely a ball mark on the entire course, the conditioning bordered on being antiseptic.  MacKenzie highly detailed and hand worked bunkering and closely cut transitions to the putting surfaces (you can put from 20 yds off some of these greens) are, like other Renaissance GD courses, present here.

We walked the course - very walkable which is surprising in such a hilly area.

I'm not sure I would place it high on the list of Doak courses and I don't know why.  Like a million other places I probably need to play it a few times to better cement an opinion.

Any others seen it?

JC  

Sean Leary

Re:Tumble Creek
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2005, 10:42:57 AM »
Jonathan,

As for the conditions, My understanding is that it just opened (maybe Labor Day) and I don't think they have that many members yet.  Is the entire course open?

Tom_Doak

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2005, 04:04:33 PM »
Jon:  See my note on the other thread about "succumbing to the spectacular."  I'm glad you found the course walkable since that was one of my main goals for it, but the bunkering is deliberately subdued and I'm surprised you described it as Mackenzie-like.

Unfortunately I haven't had the chance to play all 18 yet myself, and it doesn't look like I will until next spring.

"The Doak tees" were the client's idea and it was tough to decide who exactly they were supposed to be for.  It's a mix of back, middle and forward tees, designed to be not too long for the average member and particularly easy to walk.  I'd be surprised if you found the course short from all the way back.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2005, 04:04:57 PM by Tom_Doak »

Jonathan Cummings

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2005, 09:13:13 AM »
Entire course open - 97 members, mostly from Seattle.  Augusta conditioning.  One foursome a day and sometimes none!

Tom - Syns and I both remarked that the TC bunkering reminded us of the bunkering you see standing on the ninth tee at CPC and looking up the 12th and 13th fairways at the re-done Mac bunkers.  

I hope you folks have a Ren Cup event there at some point.  Neither Syns or Brady Hatfield (Prospecter head pro) were aware of your annual event.  Both expressed interest.

JC

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2005, 09:30:19 AM »
Since no pics have been posted, take a tour:

www.tumblecreekclub.com
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

W.H. Cosgrove

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2005, 02:35:24 PM »
Jonathon, I'm only a little upset that my trip this coming friday won't be the first mentioned here.  Nice to hear that the conditioning is excellent.  

let you know what I think Friday night.

PThomas

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2005, 09:29:55 PM »
thanks for the link Steve....it looks stunningly beautiful

and my wife has a conference next year in Seattle, mmmmm....
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back