News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Chris Moore

Belle Meade Country Club - Nashville
« on: September 29, 2005, 02:08:45 PM »
I heard this course recently underwent a restoration or renovation.  I was told that this course was originally designed by Donald Ross. I played the course many times, and recall a few features that stood out as "Rossian".  No. 2 was a 200-yard or so par-3 with a push-up green and some surrounding run-off bunkers.  No. 3, a par-4, had a green that was benched into a hillside much like the 9th at Holston Hills.  Nos. 5, 10, and 11 had open fronts that encouraged the ground game.  Little else reminded me of Ross. Does anyone have any photos or first-hand knowledge concerning the renovation or restoration?  Were the original Ross designs used in the work?  

john_stiles

Re:Belle Meade Country Club - Nashville
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2005, 04:11:04 PM »
The last major work was by Rees Jones in 2003. Not familar if anything was done in 2004 or this year.

From Rees Jones website >  

"  Co-designer: Bryce Swanson
Belle Meade Country Club is a private facility located in Nashville, TN. The remodel focused on creating more variety to allow the golfer a greater experience by rebuilding the entire golf course using the Donald Ross bunker style. The redesign created all new greens, tees and bunkers; selected fairways were regraded and three holes were rerouted.
Redesign: 2003
Private  "

Eric_Dorsey

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2005, 02:06:39 AM »
I photographed it this past summer for a golf magazine.  I thought it to be a wonderful old course with one of the 'grandest' clubhouses I've ever seen.  Very private, and along with the The Golf Club of TN (about 15 min west of BMCC), thee track to play in Nashville.

BMCC is very much an 'old' money club with the membership mostly split on the verdict of the final restoration.  Many old-timers think the course is 'too damn hard now'.  I must say, though I can recognize Rees' rather-bland bunkers, the deep grassed-faces are certainly back and the greens sit on wonderful sites just across many creeks and back into hollows and have nice topography too them.  Many old and giant specimen trees which add to the beauty and timelessness of the place too.

All in all, I thought it was great - a real treat to photograph. ;)

here is a shot during the shoot:

http://greenmambagraphics.com/gallery7.html

I'll always remember a quote from Golf Digest editor and golf course architect, Ron Whitten who said, "Ross' style is harder than MOST think to pidgeon-hole".  It seems to me that once you think you can recognize a Donald Ross course, you come across one that looks nothing like what you think his 'look' is.  
« Last Edit: October 01, 2005, 02:10:19 AM by Eric_Dorsey »

Daniel_Wexler

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2005, 12:15:42 PM »
"The remodel focused on creating more variety to allow the golfer a greater experience by rebuilding the entire golf course using the Donald Ross bunker style. The redesign created all new greens, tees and bunkers..."

Personally, I'd sell my old course off for housing before I'd turn it over to someone who pushes this kind of drivel.  And people wonder why some of us have a difficult time taking Rees seriously.........

DW

T_MacWood

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2005, 12:51:40 PM »
"I'll always remember a quote from Golf Digest editor and golf course architect, Ron Whitten who said, "Ross' style is harder than MOST think to pidgeon-hole".  It seems to me that once you think you can recognize a Donald Ross course, you come across one that looks nothing like what you think his 'look' is. "

Eric
If the current trend continues....in the not too distant future Ross's style will be fairly easy to pidgeon-hole.

"Personally, I'd sell my old course off for housing before I'd turn it over to someone who pushes this kind of drivel.  And people wonder why some of us have a difficult time taking Rees seriously........."

Daniel
I think it is important we determine what Rees' mission statement was at Belle Meade....as we all know by now Rees is a mindless ignoramus who just follows marching orders.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2005, 08:00:30 PM »
Chris,

I have been fortunate to play Belle Meade a few times since it re-opened and look forward to a round there later this week with Tiger Bernhardt.

The 3rd hole you mentioned no longer exists.  The hole is now a straight-away par four with the green sited right of Richland Creek instead of across it.   Routing of the 4th and 5th remain unchanged but the par three 6th now plays along side Richland Creek instead of crossing it as well.  The new 6th green is in the proximate area of the old 7th tee with the new 7th tee was moved well left and across the creek to soften the dogleg.  No need to challenge the big sycamore down the right side.  The routing otherwise remains unchanged.

Given the work of RTJ and Gary Roger Baird at Belle Meade, I am not sure how much Ross remained before the entire course was plowed under by Rees Jones.  

Generally, I find the course much more difficult.  Many of the greens were pushed up considerably and are difficult to approach as they are generally table-top, lacking the front to back slope that I tend to (perhaps incorrectly) associate with Ross.  Too, the back of the bunkers (the farthest side from the green) tend to be built up a little bit both internally and externally.  The former yields many slightly downhill sand shots to elevated greens while the latter tends to profile the bunkers.   One could say the back of the bunkers are slightly mounded.

I really like what was done with the 12th, which requires a mid-iron off a downhill lie to an uphill green.  Rees moved the fairway near the green to the right with a ramp feeding left to the green around a deep fronting bunker.  Classic stuff.  Visually, the par three 10th, fully visible from the casual dining area upstairs in the clubhouse, has the orientation and bunkering of a Redan - including the short carry bunker.  Unfortunately, not the playing characteristics - somewhat of a shame since a lot of dirt was moved anyway.  

Notwithstanding Tom Doak's quick dismissal in The Confidential Guide, I think Belle Meade ocupies a tremendous piece of parkland property.  Rees' work is basically a brand new golf course incorporating an existing routing, for the most part.  The course retains a classical look and I would suspect is unique among Rees' portfolio.  

Mike
« Last Edit: October 02, 2005, 08:04:13 PM by Bogey_Hendren »
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2005, 09:53:08 PM »
Mike I am really excited and look forward to the round. I wonder how many guitars have been broken against trees at Belle Meade? Could there be a Clint Black groupie wandering around aimlessly? I am sure it will be a beautiful day to play a wonderful course so many have treasured while in Nashville over the years.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back