News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jason Topp

A tunnel of trees
« on: October 03, 2005, 05:52:12 PM »
From the back tees, many mature US courses provide a relatively tight tunnel of trees off of the tee, even if the field of play is wide for the rest of the hole.  The 18th at Augusta would be the prototypical example.  Usually, the impact is significantly reduced from more forward tees.

It strikes me that this design is probably a fair one from the back tees.  A good player should be able to start the ball on line.  I dislike this feature for a large number of holes on a course because it will beat up a player that is probably having a bad day anyway.

What do you think?

Sean Leary

Re:A tunnel of trees
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2005, 06:27:14 PM »
At my home course we have one hole that is like this from the back tees, which play 445 yards.  Tight tree lined on the right side and one overhanging tree on the left about 175 yards from the tee, and you have to hit it between them.  It kills me when we play it back there ( which we and almost no one does), because I like being able to move it a bit. Or at least feling like I can move it a bit  But I will say, from that tee, it might be the best par four on the course.  From the second tee, it is just an OK hole.  But as you said, for the really good player, it is fine, especially since it is only one hole.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back