News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Robert Mercer Deruntz

Sunnigdale OLD or NEW?
« on: September 24, 2005, 06:27:03 PM »
The OLD gets the fame, but after finishing with my friend, we are both more partial to the new.  We could not find one weak hole on the course.  I played both courses regularly in the summer of 1979 and favored the New at that time.  

David_Tepper

Re:Sunnigdale OLD or NEW?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2005, 08:01:07 AM »
It has been 20 years since the day I played both the Old & New. While my memory is more than a bit hazy, I do remember being very, very impressed with the New. It did not have quite the charm of the old, but I recall liking it very much.

Philip Gawith

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2005, 05:07:20 AM »
Robert - I have been round both courses recently and it is a shame to have to choose! I think the received wisdom is that the New course is harder, mostly because it is longer (which again is at least in part a function of the Old course having quite a few short par fours, some of which are the best holes on the course).

The holes I like best are the 7th on the Old course ( a horrible blind drive, but magical once you get over the brow); the 10th - probably the most photographed - with the high elevated teed; the 11th - fabulous short par 4, sure to find you out if you are at all wobbly from 100 yards in and the 12th, with the lovely "pearl necklace" of bunkers strong diagonally across the hole.

On the New course, the fourth and the fifth and the ninth are favourites. There are some quite challenging "sleeper" holes, like the 8th and 16th which I often forget when trying to remember the course. I think the 18th on the New course is regarded by some of the locals as being a disappointing finish, but I agree that there is not much to criticise in the rest.

Not sure when last you were there, but they are busy renovating the clubhouse - the visitor's change-room is vastly improved!

The secretary and greenkeeper have both changed recently, so change is afoot - but the one constant remains the caddy group who, in my experience, are extremely accomplished, and pleasantly idiosyncratic!

henrye

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2005, 11:48:53 AM »
Having played only the Old it is hard for me to imagine anything much better, but I have heard from a number of people that the New is the stronger of the two.

Robert, I'm curious what holes you found weak on the Old?

Is Sunningdale the best 36-hole golf club in the world?

Steve Lapper

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2005, 12:42:10 PM »
Is Sunningdale the best 36-hole golf club in the world?

No....

Royal Melbourne
Winged Foot
Ballybunion
Los Angeles CC

All are no less equal and perhaps even better
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

henrye

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2005, 04:11:52 PM »
Steve you highlight some good challengers.  Anyone have any others?

JNC Lyon

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2005, 04:34:40 PM »
OAK HILL
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

Robert Emmons

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2005, 04:35:49 PM »
Baltusrol

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2005, 05:18:16 PM »
Robert, I agree that the New was superb.  Its challenge, difficulty and interesting shots into the greens make it a gem.  The Old may not have the same degree of difficulty but is in its own way an exciting test with great historic interest.  If I were to choose one to play I would play the New.  What a great place to visit.  I just wish I lived closer to England
I'm not certain it is the best 36 hole club in the world but it certainly is in the top ten.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2005, 05:19:33 PM by tommy Williamsen »
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Robert Mercer Deruntz

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2005, 09:40:11 AM »
As a par 5 the final hole of the New is weak, but at 475 it is a perfect finishing 4.  I always thought the first 2 and final 2 were not much--and this was 25 years ago--they seemed even weaker last week. 9-12 onthe Old are incredible.  And there are several simply great holes, however, there is not one weak hole on the New.  I did not get to play St. Georges Hill yesterday,but I thought the New was a little better when I played all over Surrey in the summers of 78 and 79. I used to play Sunningdale and Wentworth more than twice a week from early am to dusk back then.  Big question---How many raters have only played the Old?

Robert Mercer Deruntz

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2005, 09:42:20 AM »
On the first two holes and last two I was referring to the Old.  I cannot think of a weak hole on the New.

Philip Gawith

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2005, 09:47:09 AM »
Robert - I think the second on the Old is a good hole - you have to choose the line of your drive carefully so as to not go too far right, and the downhill approach shot to that slippery green is pretty tricky when it comes to judging distance.

The 17th is also quite challenging, especially if you miss the green. I agree re the other two.

henrye

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2005, 11:52:27 AM »
I would only concede the 1st on the Old as not being that strong.  I think that 2, 17 and 18 are all good holes.  18 is all there in front of you, visually, with the clubhouse and great oak in the background.  The fairway drops to carry the drive further then moves uphill to the angled elevated green built on the slope.  For the big hitter that thinks it's easy, there is danger in the bushes and trees to the right.  I think it's a wonderful finisher.

Robert Mercer Deruntz

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2005, 01:12:28 AM »
You definately cannot play braindead on 2 or 18 of the Old.  However, I still rate the New as a better course.  9-12 Old are truely great, great.  New has 4-6, 8-10, and 14-15 that are absolutley great, along with the rest being strong to great with no weak holes.

Philip Gawith

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2005, 03:16:41 AM »
We'll have to agree to differ on number 15 on the New course (the uphill hole, with drive over water?). I don't particularly care for the look of the hole - not a pretty bit of water and, overall, not much of a heathland feel to it. ;)

Robert Mercer Deruntz

« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2005, 10:26:51 PM »
How many people have gone to Sunningdale and only played the Old course?  Yesterday, there was a guest at the club who has played a significant number of great courses.  He was under the impression that the New was a beat it around course like some of the other second courses at suburban London clubs.  

henrye

« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2005, 12:32:13 PM »
Robert, I have only played the Old and from a visitors standpoint, I'll bet I am in the majority.  I had been told by many that the New was as good, but as the Old gets all the attention and glory, I felt it was the must play.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back