News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

johnk

Odd Hole Handicaps
« on: September 10, 2005, 03:17:27 PM »
Stanford recently re-did their hole handicaps.  It was a bit surprising yesterday to be playing from the backs and find out that hole #17 is ranked 18.  Do hole rankings really mean that it is the easiest hole on the course?

In case you don't know, that par 3 plays about 205 from the back to a severly sloping green guarded by a small bunker.  The pin was back right.

How are hole handicaps computed?  Do par 3s always have to be the easiest 4 holes?  Holes #11, #15, #13, #16 are easier scoring holes for me than #17 on the back at Stanford.

CHrisB

Re:Odd Hole Handicaps
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2005, 03:32:40 PM »
Hole handicaps don't correspond with how easy or difficult each hole is. They exist only for determining on which holes higher handicap players should receive strokes to compete with lower handicap players.

It makes sense that a moderately difficult, lengthy par 3 without any severe hazards would be the #18 handicap hole. The good player has to play well to make par and will make his share of bogeys, but the lesser player can probably easily make bogey and will make the occasional par. So the scores that each player will make over time will be closer to each other than they will for the #1 handicap hole (where the lesser player will have more blow-ups, and hence will need the stroke he gets there).

It is up to each course to determine the handicap designations for its holes. I know of a course locally that took a bunch of scoring data for an extended period of time, and used that data to set the handicaps for the holes. The holes with the smallest scoring discrepancies between higher and lower handicaps got the highest handicap designations, and holes with the widest scoring discrepancies were the lowest handicap holes (within each nine--front nine has odd handicaps, and the back nine even).
« Last Edit: September 10, 2005, 03:38:58 PM by Chris Brauner »

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2005, 03:35:15 PM »
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

TEPaul

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2005, 08:44:39 AM »
JohnK;

I've often wondered if some par 3s should fall into the high end of the stroke allocations too, the way they always seem to.

But the point is if a club uses scoring data over about a year's time the way the USGA recommends they do to determine how stroke allocations should fall it should be assumed that the data that determines the stroke allocations doesn't lie!
« Last Edit: September 11, 2005, 08:45:34 AM by TEPaul »

Brian_Ewen

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back