News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

rjsimper

Public Golf in the San Francisco Bay Area
« on: September 09, 2005, 07:31:21 PM »
Did a search and couldn't find any threads that speak directly to this, but with Pasatiempo undergoing restoration work right now, I'm in the market for somewhere else to play - preferably Public and under 100 bucks on the weekends...

(I'm also kicking around the idea of making a Pacific Grove trip, but I may be picking a friend up at SFO which makes PG a bit of a hike)

Wayne_Freedman

Re:Public Golf in the San Francisco Bay Area
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2005, 08:23:01 PM »
You do have options, Ryan.
In Oakland, Metropolitan Golf Links  is surprisingly, well...links-like, particularly for a course designed by Miller/Bliss.

Of the Half Moon Bay courses, I prefer the older (the links/non-links one to the Ocean). You'll like the 18th...an opposite direction imitation of Pebble Beach.

Harding Park in San Francisco would be an excellent choice since the re-work. The Tour Championship goes there in a month. You'll find nice rhythm through the 18. Access is catch-as-you-can...but you're likely to do well as a single.

Cinnabar Hills offers interest in the South Bay.

And I'm certain others from this area can recommend others.

Enjoy the best time of the year, here. Summer is about to arrive.

Mike Benham

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2005, 09:00:26 PM »
Did a search and couldn't find any threads that speak directly to this, but with Pasatiempo undergoing restoration work right now, I'm in the market for somewhere else to play - preferably Public and under 100 bucks on the weekends...

The Pasatiempo issue is not congruent with your under $100 budget.  I believe that the restoration work on #11 green and #12 tee is complete but not yet open awaiting complete grow in.

As Wayne mentioned, I like Metropolitan, I think Miller must not have been involved much as it far better than any of his other California designs.

Monarch Bay is also a good choice, online specials are reasonable although conditioning has been an issue (fairways primarily with the greens in decent shape).

"... and I liked the guy ..."

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2005, 10:12:15 PM »
I'd recommend Tilden if you are a dew scraper or interested in a back nine only (otherwise too crowded), Metropolitan, Monarch and Gleneagles (a nine holer with two sets of tees to accomodate 18 hole rounds....plus great 19th hole).
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2005, 10:13:21 PM »
Crystal Springs (I think it's under $100),

Has gone downhill severely.  Not worth the money at almost any price.

Stan Dodd

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2005, 11:10:07 PM »
Ryan,
If headed to PG let me know.
cheers
Stan

rjsimper

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2005, 11:56:09 PM »
Mike - Yep, Pasa at 160 isnt under 100, but I was willing to pop over 100 for Pasa simply because I've always wanted to play there.

Stan, I am likely going to try and play PG tomorrow around 2...what is access like?

The suggestions I am requesting here are for a Sunday AM round.

Evan_Green

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2005, 12:14:05 AM »
If you are looking for a course in between Monterey and San Francisco, consider San Juan Oaks, a very good Fred Couples course in Holister- not all that far from Pasatiempo- an excellent course and value. It is about 1.5 hrs south of SF.

Peter Galea

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2005, 12:16:30 AM »
Ryan, do you want to play at Pajaro Sunday? PM sent.
"chief sherpa"

David_Tepper

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2005, 12:34:31 AM »
If you are interested in going north of SF, Rooster Run in Petaluma and Windsor GC in Windsor (north of Santa Rosa) are two very solid, well maintained muni courses, with nice turf driving ranges as well. I think San Geronimo GC (in Marin County, west of San Rafael/Fairfax) is a very good course and a bit of a hidden gem.
Weekend greens fees at all 3 courses are in the $55-$60 range and teetimes are usually not too hard to get.

rjsimper

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2005, 09:12:59 AM »
Stan - PM sent

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2005, 02:47:06 PM »
I agree with the recommendations for Metropolitan. Hard to believe its Miler/Bliss, and but its got a lot of repetitiveness. Still its not bad considering the source.

The routing is suspect IMHO. But considering the environmental problems and constrictions of the site, it could have been a lot worse.

Also, I would--for the fun of it--go see Lincoln Park or the Presidio (hopefully Chris Lewis hasn't gotten to those.) and see what those courses are up to. The older images I have seen of those two places show unbelievable views of the bay and some interesting golf.

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2005, 06:31:22 PM »
The older images I have seen of those two places show unbelievable views of the bay and some interesting golf.

Presidio is tree enclosed...no views.  Lincoln Park is a undermaintained dogtrack...always the ugly stepchild to Harding when competing for meager city support.  Ocean/bridge views on #3 and #17, but that's not worth playing the course.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2005, 06:31:53 PM by Kevin_Reilly »

Dan King

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2005, 10:50:31 PM »
Tommy,

Next time you come up this way we must play Lincoln Park. Yes, maintenance is spotty, but who cares. It's a fun course, with no need whatsoever for a full compliment of clubs. Chinese monuments, views to die for, smack in the middle of a neighborhood with a nice homey clubhouse with some excellent Scotches, what more does anyone need from an afternoon round of golf.

Dan King
In golf, humiliations are the essence of the game.
  --Alistair Cooke

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2005, 02:39:47 AM »
I'd play Gleneagles a 99/100 in a 100 round series with Lincoln.  "Spotty" is the understatement of the century when it comes to the maintenance at LP...it was bad many moons ago when the city had money....didn't even have regulation flagsticks when I was a kid.  It's worse now.  And s-l-o-w.

Better clubhouse, more Scotch too at Gleneagles.  And no b.s.

But, that's just my opinion, which is frequently wrong.   :)

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2005, 05:09:19 AM »
I say that the next time I come up there, we play both of them! I'll walk them too!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back