News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Nathan Cashwell

Raynor's Cypress Point, an also ran?
« on: August 08, 2005, 12:52:15 PM »
First off I've never had the incredible opportunity to play Cypress Point.  All of our work (so far), and most of my experience/knowledge has been east of the Mississippi and south of the Mason-Dixon Line.
However, I've always wondered how Cypress Point (had Raynor's design been implemented) would compare to MacKenzie's.  Would Raynor have been able to utilize the site to create a masterpiece that is so respected and adored as Mac's, or would it have been considered just another course (though probably very good) in a great setting? Would it have been considered just another Raynor course?  Obviously Raynor's and Mac's styles, principles, and concepts were very different, but with such a great piece of land would that have mattered?  What about Monterey Peninsula CC (Dunes Course)?  Presumably it was similar type property, what did Raynor do there?  How much did Mac and Hunter change this course?  Any old plans/photos from Raynor's work at MPCC?  This is not to say that Raynor was an inferior designer by any means, he just had a different style (one that was more formulaic and engineered) than Mac.  A style that may not have fit this piece of property as well as Mac's (and his team of contributors) more artistic and natural style.  Perhaps those who are more knowledgable about the west coast work of these designers and especially those courses mentioned would like to include their input.

Geoffrey Childs

Re:Raynor's Cypress Point, an also ran?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2005, 01:09:21 PM »
Nathan

One needs only to look at

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forums2/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=19235

this discussion of Fishers Island and to read Ran's course profile of Fishers Island to conclude that Raynor's Cypress Point course would have been spectacular.  In many respects the "experience" at Fishers is even BETTER then Cypress Point with more holes incorporating the coastline, better vistas and absolutely thrilling shot after thrilling shot.  Is there a better stretch then 3-5 at Fishers?

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2005, 01:47:18 PM »
The Raynor routing doesn't exist, no one knows.

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2005, 01:58:23 PM »
Would someone, somewhere, give me some idea about the so-called Raynor routing at Cypress? Is there a provenance on any of the putative maps some may have considered to be the Raynor Holy Grail?

Bob

Neil Regan

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2005, 03:44:31 PM »
Would someone, somewhere, give me some idea about the so-called Raynor routing at Cypress? Is there a provenance on any of the putative maps some may have considered to be the Raynor Holy Grail?

Bob

Bob,

There was a thread several months ago about it. Tony Cashmore either saw it or knew people who had seen it, maybe 30 years ago. Others doubted that, I think. I will try to find that discussion deep in the GCA murkiness.

Grass speed  <>  Green Speed

George Pazin

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2005, 03:48:06 PM »
Neil -

You recollection jibes with mine. I also recall that site super sleuths George Bahto and Geoff Shackelford searched long and hard but hadn't uncovered anything.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Neil Regan

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2005, 03:52:23 PM »
Who routed Cypress--Dr. Mac or Raynor?

Tony's post:

Cypress Point Golf Course

I approach this necessarily detailed response to criticism of one matter I raised in my article with the deep reverence and admiration I've held for Dr, Alister Mackenzie's work for over 45 years - I called him 'a course routing genius' - in that article, and that's just one of his attributes, for which, as other have noted, he displayed a healthy egoism and some 'exclusivity' in his possession of input into much of his design work.

Nothing I wrote in that article was therefore intended to disparage Alister Mackenzieˇ's work in his final Cypress Point creation.  So let me state here my personal estimation of the situation quite clearly:

Cypress Point as designed and looked at today and through its history since construction is Alister Mackenzie's - its final routing, fashioning, its subtleties, grandeur, diverse strategic values and sheer beauty.  (However, let's be open about this, can we? Are we going to assume that Robert Hunter Jnr. entrusted by Mackenzie to essentially control its construction program, or his father, then Mackenzie's partner, who was highly respected by Mackenzie as a course designer, and who worked closely with him in California at the time, or several others, fine golfers some of them, and close to the project, including Marion Hollins - played no part in the 'give-and-take' thrust of design ideas normal with any architect's on-site endeavours, no matter how great he is?)

Which brings me to the course routing situation.  No, I personally have not seen Seth Raynor's original plan for the course, but it was clearly described in a detailed way to a group of us in 1978 by Bill Edgar (W.A. Edgar, 1909-1997), and I again raised the subject with him in 1990, when his astute golfing mind and memory continued to be sharp and clear.

Bill Edgar had studied a copy of Raynor's plan of Cypress Point with teammates, in a private home in Colorado in 1974 (Colorado Springs I think, for you sleuths), when he represented Australia in an international seniors teams' event.  Bill was a great and thorough gentleman, a fine, always amateur golfer, a decorated Australian, and had a deep interest in golf with a scythe-like analytic mind for golf holes wherever.  This is what I personally recall from Bill's discussion of the plan he'd studied, because it fascinated me (I wrote up notes that evening):

*The drawing was in two colours - black and red pencil, and was signed;
*There were no contours shown, but land features, treestands and the coastline and (then) roads were drawn;
*It carried the date X'24, and Bill noted that the use of a Latin numeral was surely uncommon with most people at that time, and suggested that Raynor was a man of letters;
*There were several yardage dimensions shown on critical land-use components;
*That it was apparently agreed in the 1974 discussions with teammates familiar with Cypress Point that Raynor seemed to have placed the clubhouse on a ledge seaward off the top of the knoll, allowing the 18th green to be quite a lot higher than Mackenzie's final location for it, and influencing the opening tees also;
*The drawing clearly showed a similar 14th, the par-3 15th, 16 as a short par-4 with a narrow shute driveline, then open, towards the 18th fairway, but the green shown where it still is;
*Holes 17 and 18 were broadly planned as at present, but Hole 18 was longer - perhaps 395 yards;
*That except in detail of some par values and hole extents, the course plan by Raynor was remarkably like the final Mackenzie layout in the corridors and zones used.

This clear description by a fine, interested golfer was the basis for my suggestion that we might be a little cautious in contending that Mackenzie paid absolutely no attention to Raynorˇ¦s routing plan (which he clearly knew well) in devising his own for this fantastic site.  My comment was simply intended to respond to a claim in this forum that it was only Mackenzie who had any input in Cypress Point's somewhat unusual layout.  The majesty of Mackenzie's vision for how the site was exploited was never queried.

But we know that Marion Hollins discussed Raynor's plans with Mackenzie; we know Samuel Morse, Hollins and others were sufficiently happy with the Raynor layout that it may have been implemented had he not died; we know from Mackenzie himself that Raynor had 'discovered' Hole 16's sublime natural context for a golf hole, had discussed use of it with Hollins, and, by inference anyway, the complexion of the routing jigsaw around that specific situation, both ways, in the coastline format available.

Seth Raynor is acknowledged as a fine course routing designer.  Before Bill Edgar's close description to us of the plan he'd pored over with golfing friends in Colorado, I had scant knowledge of Raynor's work, but had been an enthusiastic student of Mackenzie's oeuvre over many years already.  So it intrigued me that some 2-year earlier plan seems to have shown a Cypress Point layout essentially similar to what was eventually realized on the point, and obviously it sticks in the memory of an architect with my deep love and interest in golf courses going back 45 years.

There has been a wealth of discussion generated on another forum about the simple cautionary comment I added to a far longer article about course routing matters.  Some contributors are knowledgably open in their reaction to that comment, and sensibly do not automatically preclude a broader picture of Cypress Point's genesis, now shrouded in time.

Whatever the substance of the Raynor plan for Cypress Point, a copy of it (possibly onetime in the possession of Marion Hollins?) definitely still existed in 1974, was studied then, and discussed with us over tea at Commonwealth Golf Club in 1978 by a great golfing gentleman not given to prevarication or exaggeration.  I have no reason to think it does not still exist.

Tony Cashmore
http://www.cashmoredesign.com

Neil Regan

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2005, 08:45:35 AM »
Bump, in case Bob missed it.

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2005, 11:12:41 AM »
Neil,

Thank you. It would seem that this lays to rest the theory that the CPC routing was MacKenzie's and his alone.

Bob

THuckaby2

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2005, 11:26:47 AM »
Neil,

Thank you. It would seem that this lays to rest the theory that the CPC routing was MacKenzie's and his alone.

Bob

Well, yes and no.  What Neil didn't post was the VEHEMENT objection to Mr. Cashmore's assertions that appeared after he posted this, posted by several respected MacKenzie-philes, who didn't want to take the recollections of anyone as any form of proof.

Neil Regan

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2005, 12:31:06 PM »

Well, yes and no.  What Neil didn't post was the VEHEMENT objection to Mr. Cashmore's assertions that appeared after he posted this, posted by several respected MacKenzie-philes, who didn't want to take the recollections of anyone as any form of proof.

I posted the link to the whole thread. Here it is again:

Who routed Cypress--Dr. Mac or Raynor?

THuckaby2

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2005, 12:36:31 PM »
Yes indeedy - thanks, Neil.

I'm just not sure Mr. Huntley read that... as you see there were rather strenuous objections... can we really put this to rest, completely?

Neil Regan

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2005, 12:55:42 PM »
  The vehemence of the objections were based on an article by Mr. Cashmore about Raynor's routing that apparently made it seem that he had seen the routing and did not mention "that it was relayed to him by someone who claims to have seen the plan."

After Mr. Cashmore's explanation here on GCA, the vehemence subsided. Barring any conspiracy theories,  I'd accept the story and hope for the re-appearance of the document.

George Pazin

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2005, 12:59:25 PM »
I'm hoping for a reappearance of the document as well, but until then, I remain a skeptic. :)
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

THuckaby2

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2005, 01:11:26 PM »
I dunno Neil... I think the vehemence remains... or at least skepticism.  See what George just posted?

Second-hand recollections... well... as much as Mr. Cashmore's explanation does make sense... well... he is basing it all on second-hand recollections from a man now deceased.  It's not difficult to be skeptical.

Not that I care a whit about this one way or the other... I just can absolutely understand how one would be skeptical here.

Especially since so many have searched for this routing, and none seemingly have found it.

TH

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back