News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ted Kramer

Re:It's that time of year...... :)
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2005, 01:20:25 PM »
Ted:

You are aware, aren't you, that Donie Beck's dry and firm and brown maintenance practices are all geared to how many fish he catches per year?

From the look of those photos I'd say he's on pace for about 750 fish this year. Earlier this summer he was on the 1000 fish per year pace (which may be the max for firm and fast and brown) when he told us the ball was bouncing about 10 feet in the air and skittering around for about 100 yards.

What kind of fish make up most of those 750-1000?
Flounder? Bass?
My dad and I do pretty well just inside and outside the Jones Inlet, I've never fished anywhere near Fishers.

-Ted
« Last Edit: August 02, 2005, 01:21:38 PM by Ted Kramer »

RJ_Daley

« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2005, 02:48:34 PM »
Going back to Shivas's question, perhaps it is to keep carts from driving on the crusty heat dormant turf surface whereby cart wheel lines will be seen for months thereafter, ev3n after fall rain re-greens-up the grass.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2005, 02:49:14 PM by RJ_Daley »
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Kyle Harris

« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2005, 04:31:52 PM »
With all this "peeking" we're getting with pictures... I think this thread needs some "Cabaret" style music with each picture post. How freakin' gorgeous!

Donnie Beck

« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2005, 07:30:01 PM »
Next to golf fishing is the best thing on Fishers. Last year we had 5 bass over 50 lbs. I spend a lot of time in the evenings out on the water. A few years ago I bought a 10 weight rod and started fishing with flies. My biggest on a fly is 28 lbs.

Ted Kramer

« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2005, 07:51:42 PM »
Next to golf fishing is the best thing on Fishers. Last year we had 5 bass over 50 lbs. I spend a lot of time in the evenings out on the water. A few years ago I bought a 10 weight rod and started fishing with flies. My biggest on a fly is 28 lbs.

You're killing me.

-Ted

James Bennett

« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2005, 08:02:03 PM »

Donnie Beck

with that course, the fishing, the views, your maintenance practices...

you are one very lucky, and competant man  8)
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Donnie Beck

« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2005, 08:07:12 PM »
Just for Ted

I am 6'3"  250lbs
« Last Edit: August 02, 2005, 08:07:40 PM by Donnie Beck »

RJ_Daley

« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2005, 08:22:20 PM »
Wow!  With fish like that, I would sure cut back on my red meats and eat more healthy.  You ought to need a commercial license to catch fish that big! ;) ;D 8)
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Donnie Beck

« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2005, 07:42:14 AM »

Donnie Beck

« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2005, 07:42:52 AM »

TEPaul

« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2005, 07:51:19 AM »
"I am 6'3"  250lbs"

Donnie:

Are you really? I didn't know that. In that case you better not piss me off or I'll have to come up there and whup yo ass!

paul cowley

« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2005, 09:00:48 AM »
...better yet Tom, maybe I come up there and hold him while you hit him upside the head with that big fish of his!....hopefully then we could go out and play....the course looks great, and brings back youthful summer memories of playing unirrigated fairways on the Vineyard...barefoot.
...hell, I would come up just to walk around and smell the course and the coastal air this time of year when things look like the photos.....I hope this doesn't label me as some kind of course pervert or fetish person  ::)
paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

TEPaul

« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2005, 09:17:37 AM »
"...better yet Tom, maybe I come up there and hold him while you hit him upside the head with that big fish of his!...."

Paul;

How about if I quickly crouch down behind his feet and you push him over and then we can both jump on him and see if we can hold him down for more than 30 seconds!? If we can't then you hit him upside the head with that big fish as he gets up.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2005, 09:19:12 AM by TEPaul »

paul cowley

« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2005, 09:52:44 AM »
...Tom, good plan....I'm catching the next flight, but lets spare the details [ its probably best we sneak up on him ]....
paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

Donnie Beck

« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2005, 04:50:26 PM »
:) I am not so sure the both of you could pick up that fish together

Ted Kramer

« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2005, 06:18:19 PM »
That is one hell of a fish Donnie!
I've been fishing around LI for the better part of my life and haven't seen too many in that league.

That must have been some good eatin'.

-Ted

George_Bahto

« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2005, 09:04:26 PM »
does it any better..............  ??

If a player insists on playing his maximum power on his tee-shot, it is not the architect's intention to allow him an overly wide target to hit to but rather should be allowed this privilege of maximum power except under conditions of exceptional skill.
   Wethered & Simpson

George_Bahto

« Reply #42 on: August 03, 2005, 09:08:28 PM »
or this....... ??

If a player insists on playing his maximum power on his tee-shot, it is not the architect's intention to allow him an overly wide target to hit to but rather should be allowed this privilege of maximum power except under conditions of exceptional skill.
   Wethered & Simpson

Eric Johnson

« Reply #43 on: August 04, 2005, 01:09:18 AM »
Donnie,

The course looks fantastic.  Hope your summer is going well.

Mike_Sweeney

« Reply #44 on: August 04, 2005, 04:27:47 AM »
Just for Ted

I am 6'3"  250lbs

As a former mate on a charter fishing boat I have to say that is a big fish, especially on a surf rod.  :o

TEPaul

« Reply #45 on: August 05, 2005, 12:52:00 PM »
Donnie:

A question. When your fairways begin to brown out like they are in those photos how much do you cut back on fairway mowing? Obviously you do cut back, right?

Don Herdrich

« Reply #46 on: August 05, 2005, 03:20:46 PM »
there is nothing else like taking the ferry out of New London to this slice of paradise...........you are really in your own little world out there in LIS...........I love the brown!

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #47 on: August 05, 2005, 03:24:09 PM »
there is nothing else like taking the ferry out of New London to this slice of paradise...........you are really in your own little world out there in LIS...........I love the brown!

Don,

I knew we'd finally agree on something here!  ;D

Mike

George Pazin

« Reply #48 on: August 08, 2005, 10:12:30 AM »
Just bumping in case anyone missed it.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Donnie Beck

« Reply #49 on: August 08, 2005, 10:57:18 AM »
does it any better..............  ??

George that photo was taken in 99, so I think it has gotten a lot better. I am surprised no one has noticed from the pictures I posted that the brush behind the 11th is gone. If you look at the photo of the short the wetland is enlarged so we could fill the surrounds around the green to restore the back right bunker that was grassed over. The 16th green has also been enlarged. The expansion of the kicker hill on the redan is visible from the picture of the short. Other differences from your pictures til now the brush has been cleared between 10,11,12. The fairway bunker between 12,13 has been restored, The cartpath has been moved and regrassed on 12, 13. The treeline on 18 has been cut back the 18th greens has been restored and expanded 4000 ft and the trees behind 18th green are gone. The brush behind 17th green is also removed.. Those are just some of the changes I noticed from your pictures..
« Last Edit: August 08, 2005, 07:51:20 PM by Donnie Beck »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back