News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Cliff Hamm

Leaderboard at the Open
« on: July 16, 2005, 12:59:05 PM »
I cannot recall a better leaderboard then we are currently seeing and all are significantly under par.  It seems that the USGA could learn from the British Open.  The oft heard quote that the tournament "should identify the best golfer" is so true.  Protecting par should not be the primary aim and too many times this seems to be the USGA's intent.

Tom_Doak

Re:Leaderboard at the Open
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2005, 04:23:42 PM »
I was pretty shocked to see Sandy Lyle's name up there so high ... has he been doing anything on the European Tour lately, or is he just there as a past champion and suddenly in the zone?

A bit further down, Faldo and Norman are tied, but it looks like they will just miss playing the last round together.  That would have been fun to see.

One reason you see some of these old-timers up near the top is that the winds have shifted around a bit from the practice rounds to the event.  The younger guys are now seeing different hazards in play than they saw earlier in the week; the older guys have seen those winds before and know how to attack the hole differently.  There are a lot of "old hands" who played in the Dunhill Cup every year who are suddenly back in the spotlight.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2005, 04:25:46 PM by Tom_Doak »

David Sneddon

Re:Leaderboard at the Open
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2005, 04:43:08 PM »
I was pretty shocked to see Sandy Lyle's name up there so high ... has he been doing anything on the European Tour lately, or is he just there as a past champion and suddenly in the zone?

He has played in 12 events on the Euro Tour this year, including The Open and missed the cut 8 times.  World Golf Ranking is #501.
Very good to see him put on a performance at this year's Open.
Give my love to Mary and bury me in Dornoch

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back