News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matt_Ward

The Restoration of Eastward Ho!
« on: July 01, 2005, 10:50:52 AM »
During my recent weekend get-away with my family to the Cape Cod area I had the opportunity to return to Eastward Ho! located at the far eastern portion of the Cape.

I had played the course a short time back prior to the involvement of architect Keith Foster and the unique and highly successful restoration program carried out there.

For those who may not be in the know Eastward Ho! was established in 1922 and is the work of architect Herbert Fowler.

The course sits on some of the most awe-inspiring scenery on all of the Cape -- clearly when the people scoped out the course in its inception they knew where they wanted the golf to be.

The course has more natural slopes and contours than you could imagine. The front nine is reminscent of the Irish links you play as the land heaves and ho's (no pun intended!) in such fine fashion.

The course has been widened to allow for greater playing angles than in years past. From my first visit about 7 years ago the course was narrow in spots and the intrusion of rough only served to block the entrances to bunkers that had been carefully placed.

Eastward Ho! isn't a long course by any means -- 6,356 yards from the tips and plays to a par-71 although it could be reduced to 70 if either the 5th (497 yards) or 11th (493 yards) was reduced to 4-par status.

I am not that much of a fan of the back nine as you begin to see the wooded areas take on a much larger role. The greens are beautifulyl situated on the top of knolls in a number of areas and the place has such a seemless quality in terms of how one hole merges into the next.

All of the bunkers are well placed and solidly created to thrwart wayward play at any time. You also have to factor in the wind which can add numerous yards to any number of holes.

I only wish the course played a bit firmer and faster but the wet spring in New England has slowed down the pace at this time.

For all the talk that comes with people singing praises for Shoreacres -- another layout of comparable length -- I would take the restored Eastward Ho! in a heartbeat. Neither would make my personal top 100 in the USA but the Chatham layout is indeed a layout that requires a visit if the opportunity permits when visiting the Cape.

The finishing hole at 466 yards is also one of the better closers you can play in all of New England -- its sweeping majesty provides you with solid green that is elevated above the plunging fairway and you can see the waterways that envelope the property.

P.S. I was told that a few of the greens were also restored to their original size and the whole project has out some renewed vigor in the ole gal.

Bob_Huntley

Re:The Restoration of Eastward Ho!
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2005, 11:30:41 AM »
Matt,

I had the pleasure of playing there two years ago....was that before the restoration.

Whatever, it was a delight to play and views are hard to beat.

Bob

TEPaul

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2005, 12:12:22 PM »
I don't know much about the course but I do know Matt Burrows interviewed there and almost got the job before going on to New Haven. I recall Matt saying the club is in sort of in a restoration frame of mind, perhaps particularly a maintenance oriented restoration frame of mind. I believe they asked him in detail what he'd do there if he got the job and I believe he told them in some real detail. Matt Burrows would probably be one of the best ones to answer any questions.

Donnie Beck

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2005, 12:15:29 PM »
Frank Hancock (former 1st Assistant at Shinnecock) has recently taken over as Superintendent of Eastward Ho. Rest assured I have full confidence Frank will have it playing firm and fast when conditions allow.

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2005, 12:35:26 PM »
What are Fowler's other American courses like?  I have to say that I've never been disappointed with any of his UK courses (though I don't know them all).

Matt_Ward

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2005, 01:21:42 PM »
Eastward Ho! may not be a top 100 course in the USA for me, but for a layout that doesn't even top out at 6,400 yards it does provide the kind of land that keeps you interested as hole each hole leads to the next.

For all the talk that other less than 6,500 yard courses generate the finished work at Eastward Ho! by Keith Foster is clearly a big time step up for this classic course.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back