News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

johnk

Is Annika bad for golf?
« on: May 16, 2005, 12:11:50 PM »
Not like anyone cares, but we're witnessing the most dominant player in the history of golf do her thing.

She won by 10 this week, her sixth win outta the last 7, eighth out of the last 11.  60th LPGA victory in 11 seasons.

"Sorenstam hit the fairway with 82 percent of her drives, reached the green in regulation 76 percent of the time and needed only 108 putts -- an average of 27 per day."

She leads the tour in at least the following stats:
GIR, Driving distance, Scoring, Sand Saves.  She's second in putts/gir.

In short, she's had Tiger's Y2K going for the past 4 years...  Michelle Wie couldn't carry her jockstrap, but I guess it doesn't matter, since Annika certainly isn't driving more women to play the game.

Jason Topp

Re:Is Annika bad for golf?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2005, 12:17:27 PM »
I guess it doesn't matter, since Annika certainly isn't driving more women to play the game.

In Sweeden?

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2005, 12:21:28 PM »
Does the LPGA Tour test for steroids?  ;D
jeffmingay.com

John_Cullum

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2005, 12:23:07 PM »
So how is all that bad for golf? I enjoy watching her play, and I think she is the best golfer in the world right now.
"We finally beat Medicare. "

Andy Doyle

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2005, 12:37:31 PM »
I don't think in any way Annika is bad for golf.

I believe Tiger's dominance raised the stakes on the PGA Tour and motivated a number of players to commit themselves to raise the level of their own games through improved fitness, etc.

I can only hope Annika's dominance will motivate the LPGA women to do the same.

AD

Craig Van Egmond

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2005, 01:43:09 PM »

Just when you think she can't get any better!

I agree with Andy, Annika will either make the rest of the tour elevate their games, ala Tiger Woods on the PGA tour, or they will keep playing for 2nd.

I am a huge fan.

John Keenan

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2005, 01:43:37 PM »
Annika is excellent for Golf.

1, She is superb at the game

2. Her game and distance are much more like most people who play. (exception is GIR which are unreal)

3. She represents the game well

please tell me what is not to like.

The things a man has heard and seen are threads of life, and if he pulls them carefully from the confused distaff of memory, any who will can weave them into whatever garments of belief please them best.

JSlonis

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2005, 02:57:38 PM »
Annika is great for golf!

She may be the only reason to watch women's golf at this time.  Her total control over her game right now is a marvel to behold.

I enjoy her total dominance.  Perhaps as Tiger had done so for a couple of years, Annika will force the other women in her game to get better as well.

I went to practice at my club yesterday afternoon, and if the demographic of those practicing on the range was any indication of Annika's influence on the game...good for her.  About 75% of the people on the range were young girls, maybe ages 7-12.  Although somewhat surprising, I thought it was great to see.

noonan

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2005, 08:18:59 PM »
I am disappointed she does not try some more select mens events.

Her place may be in womens golf, but the LPGA is not a test for her at this time.

johnk

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2005, 08:30:05 PM »
BTW, in case it's not clear - the "bad for golf" question is just a reference to the old questions people used to ask about Tiger's dominance.  

I think Annika is the greatest woman player of all time, but she has very little impact on golf overall - due to the fact that the LPGA is simply not that popular in America or elsewhere.

rgkeller

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2005, 08:30:32 PM »
I would like to see the USGA give Sorenstam an exemption into the US Open and Hootie invite her to the Masters.

There is no way for her or for us to know just how good she has become playing the courses and the setups she now plays.

What a sight that would be.

And what a kick for golf.

johnk

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2005, 08:33:59 PM »
Annika is excellent for Golf.

2. Her game and distance are much more like most people who play. (exception is GIR which are unreal)

I agree she is excellent, but don't think she has a big impact on the game.

I also agree that the LPGA game is more like most good male players' games than the PGA game is.  However, if you haven't seen Annika hit driver in person, these days, she's MUCH LONGER than you think.  I know a couple pretty long players who've been in pro-ams with her, and they both said she's definitely longer than they were.   A pretty big admission, from some pretty big hitters. Basically,  she hits it farther than 99.5% of all men.

Tom Ferrell

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2005, 09:16:03 PM »
I was out at Cherry Hills this morning for 2005 USWO media day.  When asked about Annika's dominance, defending USWO champion Meg Mallon said something that I thought was profound - "you know, what Ben Hogan was trying to do, Annika is doing."

Her dominance is multi-faceted, and her focus is on history.  Very cool.  Also, after seeing the way Cherry Hills was set up today, I can tell you that it will play right into Annika's hands.  Some of the girls are going to have a tough time on many of the par-4s.  Fairway isn't good enough - they'll have to be on the proper side of the fairway or really start shaping the ball.  

The rough around the greens is absolutely brutal.  Tom Meeks told me personally that he wants it 3.5 inches.  When I asked him about the 18th and whether he thought some of the field would be unable to reach in two, he didn't hesitate before saying yes.  Then he went on to say that he won't set up a course for those who can't.  He'll set it up for those who can.  He's giving the altitude A LOT of respect - maybe too much.  I think it's going to be a long course for much of the field.

If I were a betting man  ;D, I'd put some dough on Annika.  It seems like the setup will play right into her hands.  Michelle Wie, with her upright swing and strength, might have a real shot here as well.

Should be fun.

TOM

TEPaul

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2005, 09:42:27 PM »
Why would a superstar be bad for golf? At the very least she inspires more Ms W.Mittys! What Sorenstam is probably showing the world of golf is what can happen if you have talent and you take every single other facet to near perfection. The good news is Sorenstam may not be quite as smart as a champion like Watson who got good enough and successful enough with golf that he actually began to think perhaps he could take it to the final level of perfection---which in a statement from him at that time meant that he thought it might actually be possible for him to hit every shot at near perfection. Unfortunately, that was the beginning of the devolution of Watson's career. Sorenstam may be as robotic as golf has ever seen but no one will ever take golf to the level of perfection----not even for a day and a half.  ;)

Jason McNamara

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2005, 12:43:15 AM »
I am disappointed she does not try some more select mens events.

Her place may be in womens golf, but the LPGA is not a test for her at this time.

It would be fun to see how she'd do at Harbour Town.  Maybe even Westchester, for that matter.

Jason

MargaretC

« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2005, 08:53:49 PM »

IMHO, Annika is having a tremendous impact on women's golf.  I seldom watched LPGA events pre-Annika and now I, at least, have an interest in checking-in from time to time.

The LPGA will never come close to the caliber of the PGA, but Annika has certainly raised the bar and that's great.  I think the next 5 years hold much promise for the LPGA and, IMO, Annika has contributed a great deal to the improvements on the horizon.

I'd like to see Annika play in the US Open.  I doubt if she'd finish in near the top, but it would be good to see her really challenged.  Truth be told, I'd also like to see her play in the Masters, but no way do I want Martha Burke to try to take credit for Annika's inclusion in that event.   ::)

PThomas

« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2005, 08:58:13 PM »
I posted a thread aftershe won the Dinah Shore asking if she can be considered the greatest woman player ever...

it seemas if each week we get closer and closer to a definite yes to that question

if she wins a few more majors, I don't see howanyone could then say she isn't the greatest

and what a class act as well
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

RJ_Daley

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2005, 09:50:43 PM »
I agree with some of those above that think she ought to not exclude any further consideration of playing select men's tour events.  

I don't see any reason to believe this dominance isn't going to continue for some time, barring injury.  The only time anyone else on the ladie's tour seems to have any chance is if Annika is simply having an off week (which obviously the best of the best have).  

I actually feel a little sad for Annika that she is in this position of dominance on the ladies tour, and hasn't given the men's events enough of a chance to test herself over several entries.  

I think that if some of the men's short knockers like Fred Funk can win at a tough place like Sawgrass (even with the unusual conditions there this year) there is no reason Annika can't do as well.

I think history will actually be cheated if Annika isn't at the next Masters while she is still youthful and at her peak and has no outstanding injuries.  

Michele Wie - Michele Why?  She hasn't won a thing.  I don't even want to think about her until she does something more impressive than hit a ball 300, like maybe win something...anything. ::)
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

blasbe1

« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2005, 01:52:48 AM »
The good news is Sorenstam may not be quite as smart as a champion like Watson who got good enough and successful enough with golf that he actually began to think perhaps he could take it to the final level of perfection---which in a statement from him at that time meant that he thought it might actually be possible for him to hit every shot at near perfection. Unfortunately, that was the beginning of the devolution of Watson's career. Sorenstam may be as robotic as golf has ever seen but no one will ever take golf to the level of perfection----not even for a day and a half.  ;)

Tom:

Regarding the notion of "Perfect" and/or perfection, while errudite minds have many ideas, I strongly recomend that you buy and listen to a new cd by the "The Killers" in which they sing " . . . I need direction toward perfection, help me out . . . "

James Bennett

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2005, 02:01:29 AM »
"I need direction toward Perfection, help me out."

Perfection huh!  Is that an outer suburb of Philadelphia? ;D

For a related (but off-topic) joke, Adelaide has two adjacent suburbs in the North-East, viz Hope Valley and Paradise.  And the road that joins these two areas is Perserverance Road.  I think we have all been on that road at some time. :)
« Last Edit: May 18, 2005, 02:14:49 AM by James Bennett »
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2005, 11:41:06 AM »
I think she is great. I also think she is good for women's golf.

Craig Van Egmond

« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2005, 12:09:56 PM »

I'm sure the rest of the LPGA tour is happy she's taking the week off.

Next week is the LPGA Championship at Bulle Rock, now that should be interesting.

Jim Bearden

« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2005, 12:22:56 PM »
I hate to rain on this Annika lovefest (I like her a lot) but when you have a bunch of kids competing, making cuts and placing in the top 5 in majors that indicates that the depth of the field is so shallow that she should win every time she tees it up. Womens golf today is what tennis is, one or two people winning all the tournaments. As much as I likeTiger his performance while dominating is nothing like Annikas, so unfortunately until the tour at least becomes competitive I don't care.

No she is not bad for golf but the LPGA is.

MargaretC

« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2005, 01:27:45 PM »
Jim, I have to agree with you, No she is not bad for golf but the LPGA is.

Maybe saying that the LPGA is "bad" is a bit strong, but it does little for the game as far as I am concerned.  :-X   ::)

I do think that will change with the young crop of golfers who will be hitting the tour in the next 5 years.  But, in any case, the LPGA will probably always be a wannabe to the big guys.  That's just the way it is with male/female sports in general and the LPGA has additionally had it's own set of issues that have impacted its following.  For all practical purposes, Annika is in a league by herself.

Geoffrey Childs

« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2005, 01:49:48 PM »
I don't see how someone who is raising the bar and standard of play for all women is bad for golf  ??? That would be like saying Roger Banister was bad for track and field for breaking the 4 minute barrier.

Once the standards are raised then others will fill in the gap and chase and ultimately surpass her.  

Similarly, due to her high standard of play course setups for women have become more difficult and will continue in that direction.  Who could have thought of a women competing at a venue like Colonial set up for the PGA or Michele Wie competing as she does even just a few years ago.  All this has to be good for womens golf and golf in general.

Excellence in a field of endevor should always be rewarded and encouraged just as it is right to help those at the low end of the curve who require assistance.  Personally, I take this as a given.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2005, 01:50:54 PM by Geoffrey Childs »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back