News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Patrick_Mucci

Re:Was there a Victorian/Industrial Age of GCA?
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2005, 04:07:11 AM »
DMoriarty,

NOT ENOUGH.

At about the turn of the century there were barely a dozen golf courses in all of America.  How could one draw finite conclusions on such a limited sampling ?

Your reasoning is so flawed that I'm shocked.

You won't take the time to undertake a study of a relatively few number of golf courses, yet, the center of your argument is that I haven't taken the time to perform a similar study, and thus, THAT VALIDATES TOM MACWOOD'S THEORY.

You can't be serious.

What's the name of that scientific method  ?

Someone throws out a theory that is woefully lacking in proof, and you submit that the theory is valid because others haven't researched it and all material related to it.
They don't need to to refute the theory.

When I asked Tom MacWood and YOU to identify features and holes clearly labeled by the golf world as "Victorian", he admitted that he couldn't come up with any, yet you want to maintain that the Victorian Age of Golf Course Architecture is real and can be clearly identified by it's unique features, and/or style, despite your inability to name them.

The fact that my life is consumed by family, business, friends, golf, hobbies and other interests isn't proof that Tom MacWood's theory is valid.

My theory is that Osama Bin Ladin is hiding in a suburb of Gardez, Afghanastan.  Under your reasoning, because you can't prove he isn't, that validates my theory ?   ?   ?

Again, you can't be serious.

You've become so attached to the cause or Tom MacWood that you can't see your own failed logic.

It's not preposterous to believe that Tom MacWood has reaches his conclusions first, and then does the selective research to bolster his opinion.

That's not an acceptable approach or valid methodology in reaching valid conclusions in any discipline.

Well, maybe lawyering might be the exception.

With respect to a few select, first hand accounts, perhaps you've read of those pre and post Columbian folks who believed and wrote that the world was flat.  
Should we accept their word on the subject ?

You've either got blinders on or have adopted this as your cause celebre.   In either case you can't prudently state that the theory is "the truth" and irrefutable, especially by omission.

T_MacWood

« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2005, 06:05:41 AM »
TE
"Have you seen all those early (Victorian) Dunn and Park courses in England?"

No. But I have seen a good number of them and read descriptions of them in old British Golf Illustrated, Park's The game of Golf (1896), Hutchinson's British Links (1897), and Darwin's Golf Courses of the BI (1910). Why?

Pat
"At about the turn of the century there were barely a dozen golf courses in all of America."

Are you sure about that? Where did you read that?

Here is another American course inspired by Victorian design:

Tommy
I agree with you. From what I've seen Watson produced some pretty wacky stuff in the early years.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2005, 06:16:32 AM by Tom MacWood »

T_MacWood

« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2005, 06:26:35 AM »
David
"Patrick,  I have no idea.  I am very comfortable taking the word of just about everyone who has ever written on the subject that during your time period the dominant style
inland style was as I described."  

H. Hutchinson, Garden Smith, Harold Hilton, Bernard Darwin, Tom Simpson, Harold Hilton, Alister MacKenzie, HS Colt, CH Alison, Walter Travis, Guy Campbell, Herbert Warren Wind, Geoffrey Cornish, Ron Whitten, Fred Hawtree among others confirm what you are saying...has Pat offered any counter examples.

Pat
I'm not sure why you are so adimant that these men fabricated Victoian era architecture? Your position defies logic.

TEPaul

« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2005, 06:45:07 AM »
Tom MacW:

I just read Willie Park's descriptions of architecture in "The Game of Golf" (1896)---what is it about his descriptions you're referring to?

T_MacWood

« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2005, 06:48:06 AM »
TE
The part where he recommends a layout should go straight out and straight back, his overall description of hazards (hedges, walls, etc), and especially cop bunkers.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2005, 09:03:44 AM »
Tom MacWood,

"At about the turn of the century there were barely a dozen golf courses in all of America."

Are you sure about that? Where did you read that?
Yes, I'm sure about that.
In a book by a well regarded golf writer.
[/color]

Here is another American course inspired by Victorian design:

It's a schematic Tom, and what's in the ground doesn't resemble what's on the paper.
[/color]

TEPaul

« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2005, 09:23:39 AM »
Dave Moriarty asked;

"Tom Paul, are you suggesting that TomM's assertion (and that of so many of the commentators of the time) is wrong?  If so, what is your basis for challenging them?'"

Dave:

Am I suggesting TomM's assertion is wrong about what? Wrong that a style or type of architecture referred to as "Victorian" architecture or the "Dark Ages" is wrong or that it didn’t exist? Of course not---I never said anything remotely like that on this thread or anywhere else---ever. Of course it existed.

All I've suggested is that TomM’s suggestion and conclusion in his five part Arts and Crafts Movement essay that the A/C movement was such a primary influence on the "Golden Age of golf architecture" that that era should be relabeled "arts and crafts" architecture. I say that because it's quite obvious to me that the best of the linksland and heathland architecture was the primary influence on the Golden Age of golf architecture. However, even if the linksland model was the primary influence on the heathland architecture, the question becomes what was it that made golf architecture turn back and look to the linksland model around 1899 when Park designed and built the credited breakthrough courses in the heathlands of Sunningdale and Huntercombe that are credited as the courses that began the great heathland era of architecture and apparently set golf architecture on a path of quality and sophistication that eventually concluded in what we refer to as the “Golden Age” of golf architecture?

Clearly, Tom MacWood credits the turn back to the linksland model in the heathlands around 1899 to what’s generally called the “Arts and Crafts” Movement. I’m not prepared to endorse that suggestion and conclusion, at least not to the extent the healthland era and the later Golden Age should be seen as primarily influenced by the “Arts and Crafts” movement, even if, as Tom MacWood suggests that movement was some prevalent reactionary undercurrent to the age of Victorianism. I believe the breakthrough architecture of Sunningdale and Huntercombe was more logically influenced by other things and for other reasons---eg Park Jr, the discovery of the heathlands, more money available to construct there and more time to build those courses both of which were likely the primary reasons real break-through quality architecture was created there.

"As an aside, maybe you can shed some light on what was going on in America.  How would you describe the golf architecture in your Philadelphia area on the cusp of the 20th century, say 1899?  How does the 1899 golf architecture compare to that of a few decades later?"

Golf architecture in Philadelphia pre-1900 was very rudimentary and simple as well. This is some of what directly motivated Crump and Wilson to build PVGC and Merion East and West and for Tillinghast to remark in writing that golf architecture needed to upgrade and also to move to new sites in and around Philadelphia, not the least reason being many of those simple and rudimentary early courses were too near the city and were bound not to survive anyway. The same was true for many of those early courses around NYC.

But, as he usually does these days Adam Foster Collins made a very good point in post #12. He's basically suggesting what may have caused that early architecture of that time (Victorian, Dark Age, Industrial, Geometric) to be the way it was may’ve had to do with some other influences and some very primary ones that had little to do directly with the “Arts and Crafts” movement. I agree with Adam on that.

Not the least reason being here you are trying to not only define what the “Victorian/DarkAge/Industrial/Geometric style of architecture actually was and looked like as types and styles (which I think you did quite well, BTW) but also that you and TomM seems to be suggesting that the primary influence of those early crude, simple, penal and rudimentary courses was a direct result and influence of the overall aesthetic or even ethos of the Victorian Age itself----whatever that was! ;)

I’m not prepared to make that massive leap of logic but apparently you and TomM are. Like Adam Collins, I feel the reasons for that early pre-heathland era were likely the result of many other independent things that were not the result of some Victorian “Style” or "artistic aesthetic". Those other reasons could just as well have been cheap and simple early golf courses on relatively poor sites and soil that were a result of the fact that England and the English were simply not sophisticated in the slightest about golf or architecture at that time known as the “Dark Ages” of golf architecture in England between about 1850 and 1900. They probably got all they expected in those simple rudimentary courses at that time even if it was from “professional” golfers or from the early linksmen of that time (the Dunns, Old Tom Morris or even Park jr).

Tom MacWood said in his essay that “Golden Age” is not a very descriptive term about the actual type and style of architecture (quality) of that time or what its actual architectural influences were. I believe he’s absolutely right about that----it’s not a very descriptive term other than to probably identify the over-all time in which it occurred which many called the Golden Age. Why did many call that entire age the “Golden Age”? Probably because that term generally connotes a “high point” (in many things) that most consider the post WW1 era that lasted up to the depression to be. For the same reason, although many to most architects and writers who have referred to “Victorian” golf architecture may simple be describing a type and style of golf architecture that existed in and during the entire age known as the “Victorian Age”. It simply defines a time-span and perhaps not necessarily that the ethos of that time or even some artistic aesthetic of that time was a primary influence on the golf architecture of that age. Was the straight-laced ethos of Victoriana primarily responsible for influencing those rudimentary and crude golf courses in England in the so-called “Dark Ages”?  Like Adam Collins, I feel it may’ve been more than that and perhaps even much more simple to understand such as the fact that this was a time when golf and architecture first migrated out of its centuries old home in the linkslnd and it was just bound to be crude to start with because that was all most of the English who were at that point unsophisticated about the game and its linksland architecture knew to expect.

Tom MacWood asked Adam in post #13;

“Adam
How do you separate any design from the artistic and aesthetic of the time?”

One thing you do is compare and contrast the two things you’re looking at which in this case is that early, rudimentary and crude golf architecture in the so-called “Dark Ages” in England against the larger artistic aesthetic of the time----if in fact there was some one-dimensional artistic aesthetic of that time---which frankly I very much doubt----and then you compare and also contrast to determine if that artistic aesthetic was of some primary influence on the style of golf architecture of that time or whether perhaps that style was the result of something else such as the fact that golf and golf architecture in England was simply in its total infancy in England then and no one really knew to expect more than crude, rudimentary symmetrical simplicity.

As Max Behr very cogently explained it was probably not much more back then than the “game mind of man” of the English of that time. Behr explained that “Man” tends to define things---eg time and space with straight lines and symmetry in many of the games he plays. He’s inherently inclined to do that as a “Man”. Why does he do that in games? Simply to better define space (and time) to isolate the test of “skill” of one player against another (as in tennis). What the English of that early era in golf as it first migrated from the linksland probably forgot or perhaps never knew (as Behr explained well) is there is another opponent about the game of golf---eg Nature and her inherent randomness which if anything is not necessarily symmetrical and defined!

As Behr said;

“But to transport it he had to commit a sacrilege---he had to analyze it (the game), tear it to pieces the more easily to pack it in his mind. And, in so doing, he did not realize that what he carried away with him was the letter only (symmetrical and mathematical definition), and that he left behind something intangible, that property of unsullied nature, innocent beauty undefiled as yet by the hand of man.”

The English did not come to understand that “intangible” of the linksland until they eventually came to expect more perhaps 20 years hence when the heathlands (a virtual soil structure like the linksland) was discovered in and around the end of the 1890s. Enter Willie Park Jr, a talented linksman golf architect who this time had the sites as well as the time and the money to finally do better. That’s what he did and the first quality golf architecture in the English heathslands was done and became, along with the linksland model that inland it was similar to----and the first great golf architecture of inland golf was done and became the starting point and primary influence on inland golf architecture all over the world to eventually follow.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2005, 09:44:02 AM by TEPaul »

T_MacWood

« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2005, 10:27:20 AM »

"In a book by a well regarded golf writer."

Pat
Who was the writer?

If you don't find the cop bunkers at GCGC Victorian or Dark Age or Dunn system or whatever the term...your disagreement with David (and every important golf writer/historian of the 20th C) makes a little more sense.

DMoriarty

« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2005, 10:39:38 AM »
DMoriarty,

NOT ENOUGH.

At about the turn of the century there were barely a dozen golf courses in all of America.  How could one draw finite conclusions on such a limited sampling ?

Your reasoning is so flawed that I'm shocked.

Please do not lecture me about my willingness and ability to research until you have at least your most basic facts straight . . .

I am not sure where you are getting your information but your are mistaken, and not by a little bit either.   There were more than a dozen near NYC, more than a dozen in Philly, over twice that in the Boston area, courses up and down the East Coast, around 10 or more in Chicago, a substantial in California, courses in Colorado . . .

When I asked Tom MacWood and YOU to identify features and holes clearly labeled by the golf world as "Victorian", he admitted that he couldn't come up with any, yet you want to maintain that the Victorian Age of Golf Course Architecture is real and can be clearly identified by it's unique features, and/or style, despite your inability to name them. . . .

With respect to a few select, first hand accounts, perhaps you've read of those pre and post Columbian folks who believed and wrote that the world was flat.  
Should we accept their word on the subject ?

You've either got blinders on or have adopted this as your cause celebre.   In either case you can't prudently state that the theory is "the truth" and irrefutable, especially by omission.

I wish you were joking but I am not sure you are.  All we have for proof at this time are the words of those who were there.  They all describe the style I have outlined above.  The fact that they do not inventory all the courses where this style was present does not change the fact they every account describes a consistent dominant style.  

As far as all the rhetoric about my lack of ability and willingness to research and fully grasp what was going on during this time, it is just that-- rhetoric.   And a poor excuse for intelligent discussion.  

You seem to think that your role here is to sit back and judge, and that our role is to continue to supply you with more and more information until you are satisfied, or not.   Well that is not how discussions work.   If you made the effort to actually contribute something instead of just nae-saying the hard work of others, you might find that some of your nae-saying is downright silly.  

You last message was substantially changed after I began responding to it . . .  Although I will not be traveling with the Emperor's entourage,  I too look forward to continuing our discussion next week.

Tom Paul,  

You tell TomM that he is being too broad, and overplaying certain facts, then in the next breadth you tell me that the entire Early Inland style wasnt a product of the many specifics that TomM and I have listed, but rather all attributable to Max Behr's description of the complicated interworkings of man's mind??   Now there are some specific's for you!  

Seriously, you might not want to hang your hat on Behr this time.  A brief review of some of his written work convinces me that Behr and TomM were on the same page.  

Adam does make some good points,  unfortunately he fails to realize that much of what he describes is directly attributable to victorian industrialization, and therefor misses the significance of its rejection by the golf designers.  You do the same thing.  Take another look at my detailed response to Adam if you'd like to see what I am talking about.  
« Last Edit: May 11, 2005, 10:41:59 AM by DMoriarty »

HamiltonBHearst

« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2005, 10:53:59 AM »

I really have to chuckle about this comment from DMoriarty to Pat "if you made the effort to actually contribute something instead of just nay-saying the hard work of others".

Who makes more contributions to this site than Pat?
Who attempts to educate others more than Pat?
Who sticks to strictly architecture related topics more than Pat?

Geez, answer the man's questions.

John_Cullum

« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2005, 11:16:44 AM »
Where can I get a Hamilton B Hearst?
"We finally beat Medicare. "

TEPaul

« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2005, 11:26:25 AM »
Dave Moriarty said:

"Tom Paul,  

You tell TomM that he is being too broad, and overplaying certain facts, then in the next breadth you tell me that the entire Early Inland style wasnt a product of the many specifics that TomM and I have listed, but rather all attributable to Max Behr's description of the complicated interworkings of man's mind??  Now there are some specific's for you!  

Seriously, you might not want to hang your hat on Behr this time.  A brief review of some of his written work convinces me that Behr and TomM were on the same page.  

Adam does make some good points,  unfortunately he fails to realize that much of what he describes is directly attributable to victorian industrialization, and therefor misses the significance of its rejection by the golf designers.  You do the same thing.  Take another look at my detailed response to Adam if you'd like to see what I am talking about."

Dave;

You can look at this era, its architectural style, the definitions of it, the social or other specific primary influences on it any way you want to, in my opinion. I don't agree with you on many of them as apparently others don't as well. That's just fine, I'm sure----people look at things differently. I happen to think you're wrong about the way you look at some of this and you happen to think I'm wrong about the way I look at some of this and what I cite as evidence.

So What? This website's discussion section was never meant to be some place where total consensuses are formed, merely to be one where opinions are offered and supporting evidence is offered to support those opinions. I feel I've done that as have others like Adam Collins and you and Tom MacWood. There doesn't need to be agreement, just a chronicle of opinions that are logically formed---hopefully so others can read those differing opinions and form their own opinions and conclusuons. I do not agree with some of the suggestions or conclusions of Tom MacWood or you of the influence of this era of the arts and crafts movement on the Golden Age of golf architecture nor the influence of Victorian artistic aesthetics on the reason for the so-called "Dark Ages" in English golf architecture.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2005, 11:34:36 AM by TEPaul »

T_MacWood

« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2005, 01:27:24 PM »
TE
"Wrong that a style or type of architecture referred to as "Victorian" architecture or the "Dark Ages" is wrong or that it didn’t exist? Of course not---I never said anything remotely like that on this thread or anywhere else---ever. Of course it existed."

You might want to talk to Pat.

"I say that because it's quite obvious to me that the best of the linksland and heathland architecture was the primary influence on the Golden Age of golf architecture."

We agree. The links were the primary influence. But the links were available as model in 1880 and 1890 as well as 1900. The A&C essay explains why in 1900 and not 1880 or 1890 the links were emulated.

"I believe the breakthrough architecture of Sunningdale and Huntercombe was more logically influenced by other things and for other reasons---eg Park Jr, the discovery of the heathlands, more money available to construct there and more time to build those courses both of which were likely the primary reasons real break-through quality architecture was created there."

They discovered the heathland prior to Sunningdale and Huntercombe. Certainly there was great wealth in the London area around 1900, but there was a lot of money in 1890 as well. Why was there more time in 1900 than 1890?

The more likely expaination is information. The new magazines and books of the late 1890's profiled both the good and the bad (both written and in images), and for the first time began to analyze the pros and cons of modern (ie Victorian) inland golf. Hutchinson being the primary critic/voice/source.

Adam Collins appears to be you favorite person quote at present:
"But, as he usually does these days Adam Foster Collins made a very good point in post #12. He's basically suggesting what may have caused that early architecture of that time (Victorian, Dark Age, Industrial, Geometric) to be the way it was may’ve had to do with some other influences and some very primary ones that had little to do directly with the “Arts and Crafts” movement. I agree with Adam on that."

Have you read Shackelford's The Future of Golf, and in particular the chapter 'The Art That is Life: Arts and Crafts Golf' ?

« Last Edit: May 11, 2005, 06:37:17 PM by Tom MacWood »

THuckaby2

« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2005, 01:33:06 PM »
Where can I get a Hamilton B Hearst?

I'm there for you man.

Sarge is the greatest thing since sliced bread.
Sarge is the wittiest person on this site.
Sarge is smart and great and all things to all people
Sarge is my main main, he's #1.  If he says something, it's right and that ends all debate.

Now back to the cool arguments about the history of this game and its courses.

;D

Tom "Your Personal Hamilton" Huckaby

John_Cullum

« Reply #39 on: May 11, 2005, 03:06:42 PM »
Huck is definitely a man you want in your corner.
"We finally beat Medicare. "

T_MacWood

« Reply #40 on: May 11, 2005, 10:51:46 PM »
Pat
The figure I've read for course in American (1900) is one thousand. Which seems a little high to me, but its a big country. A dozen is crazy...there had to be well over a dozen in the NY Metro.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2005, 10:56:21 PM by Tom MacWood »

DMoriarty

« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2005, 03:30:49 AM »
Tom Paul,

Of course there will be disagreement on this website, but hopefully it will be the type of disagreement where both sides learn something and all parties come to some sort of a better understanding of the issues and complications before them.  

Unfortunately, it seems this conversation has become rather one sided.  You, Pat, and a few others repeatedly express your general disagreement all the while offering little in the way of fact or support for your alternative view.  Yet at the same time, TomM and I are being asked to provide more and more information, which in our opinion is rather beside the point.  

In order for a conversation to advance, both sides must contribute something.  If they have no facts or information to contributute then the least they can do is be extremely specific in their critiques so as to give the other participants an idea of where their argument may be lacking.   Unfortunately, the critiques presented here are generally too broad-brushed to provide any potential clarification whatsoever.   Take your last few responses to me.   Every time I try to understand your specific disagreement, or get you to clarify or specify your position, you broaden the discussion back to the sort of general disagreement you make immediately above . . .

You can look at this era, its architectural style, the definitions of it, the social or other specific primary influences on it any way you want to, in my opinion. I don't agree with you on many of them as apparently others don't as well. That's just fine, I'm sure----people look at things differently. I happen to think you're wrong about the way you look at some of this and you happen to think I'm wrong about the way I look at some of this and what I cite as evidence.

Yes you disagree, but not really in any sort of form which helps me further challenge my own views.   With what specifically do you disagree?  

Do you disagree that the style of architecture I describe above as Early Inland was the dominant architecture of the late 1800's in inland Britan?

Do you disagree that the style of architecture I describe above as Early Inland was the dominant architecture of the late 1800's and in the first part of the first decade of the 1900's in the United States?

Do you disagree that many of the characteristics of this Early Inland style were entirely consistent the approach to production in Industrialized Britan?  

Do you disagree that designers we call Golden Age Architects explicitly rejected the Early Inland Style?

Do you disagree that designers we call Golden Age Architects looked to the pre-industrial links period for their inspiration as well as their formulaic (or lack thereof) and aesthetic exemplars?

Do you disagree that designers we call Golden Age Architects (using the links as inspiration) designed courses which more utilized natural features and blended into the natural setting, were more thought provoking for the player, were much less formulaic, and which utilized a more natural aesthetic?  

. . . You get the idea.

By the way some of you are lumping me in with TomM, and that probably isn't entirely fair to him.  I am not sure I agree with all of his theories, or with the extent to which he extends some of his ideas.   Rather, I am in the same position as many of you-- trying to make sense out of a complicated and interesting theory.    

Hamilton B. Hearst gushed:
I really have to chuckle about this comment from DMoriarty to Pat "if you made the effort to actually contribute something instead of just nay-saying the hard work of others".

Who makes more contributions to this site than Pat?
Who attempts to educate others more than Pat?
Who sticks to strictly architecture related topics more than Pat?

Geez, answer the man's questions.

Hamilton B. Hearst,

I do not underestimate Pat's contributions to this site, and I have to admit that occassionally I have learned a thing or two from him.   And he does generally stay on topic.   I'll also concede that in person he is well mannered, relatively easy on the eyes for a man of his stature (not that I notice such things), and smells of no noticeable unpleasant odor.  

Yet still-- and maybe I am asking too much-- still I dont really think he is contributing much of value or use to this specific discussion.    I am sure he is capable and could contribute much more than I ever could hope to myself, but he seems to have his mind set to act as judge and jury, rather than participant.   Plus, his questions are not the least bit germane.  For that, I'll stand behind my comments above despite the fact that he is impeccably well-mannered and probably was quite a lady's man in his day.  

So with all due respect to you and Pat, I'll have to continue to decline your request (demand?) that I answer his questions.  As I said above, I an not Pat's research assistant.  

I do though, have an idea!  Why don't you answer his questions?  I am sure you beleive that Pat would never ask tangential questions and that these central to the entire issue.  So do the research and answer them.  Every great mind needs a loyal and pining research assistant to do his/her dirty work.   I can think of no better candidate than you.  

TEPaul

« Reply #42 on: May 12, 2005, 07:15:12 AM »
DavidM;

Under the box in your post #41 where you quote me you have a list of seven questions. In either the thread I started recently about the arts and crafts movement which has now gotten to be about ten pages long or in this thread of yours I have answered every single one of those seven questions and pretty specifically you asked again here. If you didn't read those answers or you don't agree with them, then so be it.

Tom MacWood in his essay on the arts and crafts movement offered a ton of very specific information on the arts and crafts movement in the latter half of the 19th century beginning with three men---Pugin, Morris and Rushkin who had nothing whatsoever to do with golf--early golf or any golf or architecture.

He then does a couple of things---he attempts to establish a strong connection between those men and the likes of Hutchinson, Darwin, two excellent golf writers around the turn of the century as it pertains to the so-called "arts and crafts" movement. I don't believe he succeeds in establishing that connection as strongly as he maintains he does simply because that connection was not particularly strong.

When questioned on that he (and you) resort to the theory that the influence of the "arts and crafts" movement was so broad-based and prevalent throughout what he refers to as the "artistic" or "aesthetic" of that age that the A/C movement almost automatically had to be as strong as he maintains it was on golf course architecture too.

Some of just don't buy that theory either because we do not believe it was true, certainly not to the extent Tom MacWood maintains it was. We've all read his essay carefully and we don't believe he succeeded in making that connection---not to the degree he maintains that connection existed back then. Essentially Tom offered a ton of material about a reactionary movement in social life (and in a sense religious life), painting art, building architecture, furniture and other art and craft and then basically failed to make the connection of its strength as the "primary" influence on another art form---golf course architecture that he claims it was. For some odd reason Tom MacWood does not seem to recognize that there can be and often are some very serious distinctions and differences between various art forms. Or he may just choose to overlook that simply because it would dilute the case of his essay if he did acknowledge that rather obvious and fundamental fact. When questioned on that all he seems to be able to do is to babble to us that we must be ignorant or unread to not notice or acknowledge that all art forms (“aesthetics”) are completely connected at the hip somehow!  ;)

We, on the other hand, did offer evidence of what the primary influences on the Golden Age of golf architecture were. Our evidence may not appear original because it isn't original. It's basically the evidence of what the complied literature on the evolution of golf architecture says those primary influences on golf architecture were and they were not the arts and crafts movement as a primary influence no matter how much people like you and Tom want to make it the primary influence. I don't want to bother to list once again all that compiled literature here because I've already done that a number of times in these two threads but it basically spans alphabetically the collected writing and chronicling of Behr to Wilson. All that literature credits the linksland and the heathlands as the primary influence on the Golden Age. Tom MacWood doesn't disagree with that.

However, he now has reverted to maintaining that it was primarily the arts and crafts movement and Hutchinson through Country Life magazine that was responsible for influencing the break-through designs of Sunningdale and Huntercombe by Willie Park Jr around 1900. I do not believe that it was the arts and crafts movement through Hutchinson and Country Life that was responsible for those two break-through courses in the healthlands. I believe, as apparently most of the chroniclers of the evolution of golf architecture believe that it was Willie Park Jr who was responsible, and without some great awakening and instruction from Hutchinson or Country Life;

Tom MacWood reports in his essay;
“It was in 1897 that Hutchinson joined the fledgling periodical Country Life. Writing a weekly column for what would become the lifestyle magazine of Britain -- from this platform his influence was immense. And although he covered all aspects of the game -- competitions, rules, equipment, etc. -- Hutchinson soon began to concentrate on the state of golf-course development, with the games popularity exploding he felt it important to focus on the new art of golf-architecture. Very little had been written about golf design, Willie Park-Jr. had briefly covered the subject in his The Game of Golf of 1896, and the relatively new magazine Golf Illustrated and its editor Garden Smith had touched the subject in 1898, but both were still advocating the formality common in the 1890’s -- the static Victorian approach to golf design.”

“……but both were still advocating the formality common in the 1890’s -- the static Victorian approach to golf design.”???

Right there, in my opinion, Tom MacWood should go back and do some serious fact-checking. If one carefully reads Park’s book "The Game of Golf" and the part in it in Chapter X, called “Laying out and Keeping golf links” one can very easily see that Park was not at all advocating what you and MacWood have defined on here as “Victorian” golf architecture---or more importantly, what others of that time and later referred to as "Victorian" architecture. He was very much explaining and describing and advocating the type and style of golf architecture that would become a few years later Sunningdale and Huntercombe. And Park wrote that explanation and description and advocacy in 1896---before Country Life magazine began and obviously before Hutchinson had the pulpit of Country Life magazine to preach the linksland model in the heathland and beyond.

Tom MacWood asked me if I’d read anything from this time. Well, I have now---I have Park’s book from 1896 right in front of me. Why didn’t Tom MacW mention this chronological discrepancy as it pertains to Park in his essay on the Arts and Crafts Movement? Perhaps he didn’t really read or concentrate carefully enough on what Park said about architecture in that book in 1896 and perhaps he didn’t mention it because if he had it would’ve seriously diluted his case that the arts and crafts movement was the primary influence on the beginning of the great heathland architecture.

As most of the best writers on the evolution and primary influences of golf architecture have already written and said about this era it really was Willie Park Jr who sparked the breakthrough in the heathlands and not Hutchinson and Country Life magazine or the arts and crafts movement.

Go ahead and read Park’s book and you can see for yourself. If you and Tom MacWood do read Park’s book and then come back on here and actually try to tell me that what he is explaining and describing and advocating is actually “Victorian” or symmetrical and geometric and ultra simple golf architecture----well then my participation on here in discussing this interesting era is done.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2005, 07:20:09 AM by TEPaul »

Adam_F_Collins

« Reply #43 on: May 12, 2005, 08:03:33 AM »
Great post, Tom Paul. Solid and clear.

T_MacWood

« Reply #44 on: May 12, 2005, 09:25:34 AM »
"Right there, in my opinion, Tom MacWood should go back and do some serious fact-checking. If one carefully reads Park’s book "The Game of Golf" and the part in it in Chapter X, called “Laying out and Keeping golf links” one can very easily see that Park was not at all advocating what you and MacWood have defined on here as “Victorian” golf architecture---or more importantly, what others of that time and later referred to as "Victorian" architecture."

TE
The cop bunker that Park advocates is not a major component of Victorian era golf architecture? In fact the cop bunker is THE major component of Victorian era golf architecture.

What era advocated walls and hedges?

How many golf architects during the golden age recommended a routing of straight out and then straight back?
« Last Edit: May 12, 2005, 09:32:48 AM by Tom MacWood »

DMoriarty

« Reply #45 on: May 12, 2005, 10:15:07 AM »
DavidM;

Under the box in your post #41 where you quote me you have a list of seven questions. In either the thread I started recently about the arts and crafts movement which has now gotten to be about ten pages long or in this thread of yours I have answered every single one of those seven questions and pretty specifically you asked again here. If you didn't read those answers or you don't agree with them, then so be it.

TomP,  While they are volumonous, I have tried to read every one of your posts on these two threads, and I have not found the specific answers to my questions.  Otherwise, I would not have asked.  

And frankly I am a bit perplexed by your unwillingness to answer at least these seven specific questions, even if you feel you have answered them before.   You must admit that occassionally your posts to tend to bit a bit . . . shall we say . . . wordy, and recently you even acknowledged that you may not be aware of everything you have said specifically said on this issue.  Surely it is a bit too much to refuse to answer my questions on the grounds that the answers are buried somewhere in the tens of thousands of words you have written on this issue.  

So if you could be so kind to indulge me with the answers to these seven simple questions, I'll be much appreciative . . . thank you in advance for your answers.  

As for the rest of your answer, I am afraid it completely detours around answering my questions.   In fact you appear to be addressing your comments to TomM's concerns rather than mine.  As I said above I am not in agreement with TomM on everything.  In fact I think I have somewhat a unique interest and approach to his problem.  

So again Tom, my questions?   They are simple Yes/No questions, unless of course you feel compelled to expand on your answers . . .  

DMoriarty

« Reply #46 on: May 12, 2005, 10:24:09 AM »
Adam said:
Great post, Tom Paul. Solid and clear.

Adam, TomP has a few times proclaimed you the voice of reason here on this subject.  While I have disagreed with some of your points, I too agree that your posts have been well considered and relatively concise.  So I am wondering if I could burden you with performing the task of a ombudsman of sorts.  Since you are still following along, would you be so kind as to provide me with a reasonable perpective on my recent exchange with Tom?

Does his last post address any of my seven questions, posed immediately above?   If so, could you be so kind as to point me toward those answers?

TomP says he has readily answered my questions on these couple of threads.   I unfortunately do not have many hours or days to devote to reviewing all his posts, so could you be so kind as to refresh my memory of his answers? Specifically . . .

-- Does TomP agree or disagree that the style of architecture I describe above as Early Inland was the dominant architecture of the late 1800's in inland Britan?

-- Does TomP agree or disagree that the style of architecture I describe above as Early Inland was the dominant architecture of the late 1800's and in the first part of the first decade of the 1900's in the United States?

-- Does TomP agree or disagree that many of the characteristics of this Early Inland style were entirely consistent the approach to production in Industrialized Britan?  

-- Does TomP agree or disagree that designers we call Golden Age Architects explicitly rejected the Early Inland Style?

-- Does TomP agree or disagree that designers we call Golden Age Architects looked to the pre-industrial links period for their inspiration as well as their formulaic (or lack thereof) and aesthetic exemplars?

-- Does TomP agree or disagree that designers we call Golden Age Architects (using the links as inspiration) designed courses which more utilized natural features and blended into the natural setting, were more thought provoking for the player, were much less formulaic, and which utilized a more natural aesthetic?

While you are at it, perhaps I can clear up any difference we may still have . . .  Let me ask you the same questions I asked TomP.   Do you agree or disagree with the affirmative statements contained in these seven questions to TomP?  

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Adam_F_Collins

« Reply #47 on: May 12, 2005, 02:43:41 PM »
DMoriarty

While I am happy that anyone might find me to be "a voice of reason", I am not an expert on these subjects and have made no such claim.

As to what TEPaul has addressed or not addressed regarding your posts are not my concern, nor am I interested in making them my concern. I am interested in the discussion of the subject, and not in personal arguments that go beyond the subject itself, so it would seem to be much more 'reasonable' for me to stick with my own opinions and perspectives and steer clear of any referee role.

I count that you've asked six good and clear questions in your post, which I will attempt to address. I will do so as honestly as I can, which is to admit that I have not studied this era in relation to golf course design at length and may be reduced to replying by asking you for more information. If you have the time, you may reply again and we'll give some more shape to this subject so that those of us who are not as clearly in the know might get a little closer to that education. Such is the potential benefit of this discussion and the forum as a whole.

Question 1:(Do you) agree or disagree that the style of architecture I describe above as Early Inland was the dominant architecture of the late 1800's in inland Britan?

Answer: I'm not sure yet.

This is one of the areas which keeps me from concurrence with Mr MacWood's claims. How dominant WAS this "style"?

The photos you provide are helpful, yet they show quite a variety of stylistic variation - none of them "links" but I do see a couple of places where they call them 'links'. Some are very geometric, others are just geometric in terms of some shapes - but geometry is not just a Victorian trait. In the late 1800's (between 1880 and 1900) how many of these courses where built? And when we refer to "these courses", what makes them a group? Are we seeing clear and definite formal similarities, or just a wide array of ill-conceived arrangements that are unnatural in appearance?

Also, when you refer to "Britain", do you mean England? or are you including Scotland and Wales?

Question 2: (Do you) agree or disagree that the style of architecture I describe above as Early Inland was the dominant architecture of the late 1800's and in the first part of the first decade of the 1900's in the United States?

Again, I don't know yet.

Question 3: (Do you) agree or disagree that many of the characteristics of this Early Inland style were entirely consistent the approach to production in Industrialized Britain?

"entirely consistent"? No. Mass produced? No. Are they factory made? No. Are they produced by underpaid workers in poor working conditions? If we are talking about the architects, then no. If we're talking about the builders, then yes and no. Are they made with inferior materials? No. Are they overly decorative or ornamented? Some are, most are not. You may want to make a list of all the things you see as constituting the Industrialized British approach to production. Maybe you have and I've missed it - entirely possible in this discussion.

Question 4: (Do you) agree or disagree that designers we call Golden Age Architects explicitly rejected the Early Inland Style?

I believe that the Golden Age Architects rejected just about anything that wasn't found on the links, that included trees, which most would eliminate as much of as the client would allow.

Question 5: (Do you) agree or disagree that designers we call Golden Age Architects explicitly rejected the Early Inland Style?

Answer: Some of them were vocal about doing so and summed up everything that wasn't in keeping with the links tradition as a single "style" as you are doing. I agree that they rejected almost anything that was not in keeping with the links model.

Question 6: (Do you) agree or disagree that designers we call Golden Age Architects looked to the pre-industrial links period for their inspiration as well as their formulaic (or lack thereof) and aesthetic exemplars?

Answer: Here is another sticking point for me. I do acknowledge the fact that golden age designers looked to the links as a model, but I question the use of the term and the idea of a "pre-industrial links 'period'".

So to clarify, I must ask another question:
How many links-style courses, or courses that respected the links tradition were built between 1880 and 1900?

Again David, I appreciate your clear questions.

DMoriarty

« Reply #48 on: May 12, 2005, 06:42:52 PM »
Adam thanks for answering; I only have a minute so I cannot respond in detail at present.  I did want to highlight your question to me though?

How many links-style courses, or courses that respected the links tradition were built between 1880 and 1900?
[/b]

This is a terrific question but unfortunately I do not know the answer.  In America there was a course at terrific Maidstone, which eventually became a links course, but I think it was laid out in the Early Inland style.  (Willie Park later turned it into what is is today.)  Maybe MacDonald's Chicago?  Before building the National, MacDonald commented that there were no first class links courses in America.  

As for how pervasive this Early Inland style was, I would say quite pervasive, at least in America.  Contrary to Pat's assertions, there were quite a few courses in America during that period--  According to Outing Magazine, there were thirteen in Philadelphia, more than twice that in the Boston area,  eighteen within the New York City limits excluding long island and New Jersey!  Plus courses in Chicago and the Midwest, Courses all the way down the Atlantic seaboard, courses in California, even courses in the wilds of Colorado.  And I have yet to read a description or see a photo which indicates that these courses were modeled after the links.  

I'd like to throw it open to anyone who wanders this way.  

Is anyone aware of any links style courses build between 1880 and 1900?  
« Last Edit: May 12, 2005, 06:43:21 PM by DMoriarty »

wsmorrison

« Reply #49 on: May 12, 2005, 09:46:27 PM »
According to Jim Finegan's excellent "A Centennial Tribute to Golf in Philadelphia, the courses in the Golf Association of Philadelphia built on or before 1900 include:

Philadelphia Country Club
Devon Golf Club
Philadelphia Cricket Club
Merion Cricket Club
Belmont Golf Association (later Aronimink)
Belfield Country Club
Mount Airy Country Club
Springhaven Club
CC Scranton
Torresdale Country Club
Huntingdon Valley Country Club
St. David's Golf Club
Atlantic City Country Club
Riverton Country Club
Moorestown Field Club
Merchantville Country Club
Woodbury Country Club
Trenton Country Club
Lancaster Country Club
Wilmington Country Club
West Chester Golf and Country Club
Northampton Country Club
Berkshire Country Club
Overbrook Golf Club
Bala Golf Club
« Last Edit: May 12, 2005, 09:46:40 PM by Wayne Morrison »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back