News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

ForkaB

Death is the flip-side to being a "senior"
« on: April 17, 2005, 04:39:24 AM »
I had to cancel a 36-hole tournament at Royal Porthcawl 2 weeks ago because a very good friend passed away in San Francisco.

Being a senior has it's advantages, golf-wise, but other parts of it suck...... :'(

Patrick_Mucci

Re:Death is the flip-side to being a "senior"
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2005, 08:04:39 AM »
Rich Goodale,

It's called the "back nine" for good reason.

Celebrate life and the lives of others while you're here.

This ain't a dress rehersal, this is it, so enjoy it.

Ted Kramer

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2005, 10:08:33 AM »
Sorry to hear about your friend.
Hope you can enjoy some better times soon!

-Ted

Lou_Duran

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2005, 01:29:26 PM »
Though I am much younger than Rich, I've shared his and Patrick's sentiments for many years.  At the same time, the idea of reaching the end of life doesn't really bother me except for the part about not having completed some of my life's goals.

My now deceased father-in-law, a New Deal Democrat who never voted for a Republican, once shared with me his general views on life.  He believed that ideally, our lives should be lived backwards.  When we are young and full of vigor and ourselves, we lack knowledge, perspective, and patience, as well as resources.  We get so busy trying to make it, that we forget or ignore the many things that are so important in the long run, namely our family, friends, God, country, community, etc.

As we age, we realize how little we actually knew then and how much more there is to learn than we'll ever have time on this earth to acquire.  Unfortunately, by that time our lives are already too far along to make drastic changes, our bodies and minds are not nearly as sharp, and sometimes melancholy replaces the hope and energy we once took for granted.

Thank God and Scotland for golf.  It is a game that we can pursue until our time has come, even though it is just as frustrating when you're 70 as when you were 30.  And so what if you have to take a short hiatus from time to time to pay respect to one of your friends.  It beats being the honoree, though after a bad round sometimes one isn't so sure.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2005, 09:14:55 PM »
I'm sorry about your friend - I'll say a prayer for you and his family tonight.

This reminds me of something my father (who's in his late 70s) told me when I was telling him that I really wanted to go back to Bandon, but that I was trying to save money for retirement (I'm 45).

He laughed and told me not to live my whole life for retirement - sure, do the 401(k) thing and save for the important things, but don't stop living for today.

Things like French Creek Golf Club for me are a foolish waste of money from a pracitcal point of view.  But you know what - it brings my wife and me great joy.  And we're going to Bandon this summer.  And we visited 2 days of the Masters practice rounds last week.

My dad is right!  And people that schedule those useless 4PM meetings on Fridays are wrong!
« Last Edit: April 17, 2005, 09:18:31 PM by Dan Herrmann »

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2005, 09:20:07 PM »
Rich,
It's tough to lose good friends, there are so few of them.
Sorry.
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2005, 09:25:24 PM »
Dan Herrmann,

In the many times I was in the hospital, I never met a fellow patient who said that they should have spent more time at the office.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2005, 09:33:57 PM »
Amen, Patrick, Amen.

The day I saw fellow Nike employees getting 'swooshes' permanent tattoo'd on their ankles was the day I knew I needed a new employer.

I'm going to print this thread and put in in my desk to remind me of what's important.  Family, Friends, and your God.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2005, 10:30:56 PM »
I like the bumper sticker that says, "We are spending our children's inheritance."

It ranks right up there with the other one that says, "My parents think I'm in college."

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2005, 11:27:33 PM »
Guys;

Thanks for some really inspiring thoughts.

I've come to the conclusion that I'm way too negative on here at times, and some folks with think I'm a curmudgeon based on my criticisms of courses and trends in golf.

Hell, I'm just a guy who loves a simple game and loves the courses that it's played upon.  I'll try to remember that going forward.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2005, 12:17:04 AM »
I always liked George Goble's take about getting old.  He said to Johnny Carson and Bob Hope one night, "at our age, you are either going to a funeral, or you are one". ::) ;D

I am lucky to play regularly with a couple of inspiring fellows.  They are actually cousins with the same last name.  One is going to be 74, a retired Marine Corps Major who last year started the day in early June as about a 20 handicap, played 18 walking-carrying and shot a 79, had an early lunch, was enjoying his great story of breaking 80 when his young nephews came in to play 18, so he went out and walked carried another 18 and shot low 80s, went in had a few brews, was feeling euphoric and went out walked-carried a third 18 and shot about 90.  He got down to about a 15 for the year.

His cousin is about 65, and we call him Iron Jay.  He has had more serious operations than I can count, including slipping into a coma for days after getting septic shock  (which killed my Dad in the same manner post gut surgery).  How his constitution came out of it is nearly a miracle, and he has had any number of other varied surgeries including gall bladder the hard way a couple years ago with lamandectomy. He was back on the course in 8 weeks! Hel plays at least 9 a day and 3-4 days a week 18 walks with a remote controled caddie-buggy.  He leaves the frozen tundra and plays all winter in Mesquite NV., maintaining about the same playing schedule.

I look at those guys often and know that golf has a special well spring of vitality for them that I hope I can soak up a little too.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

ForkaB

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2005, 03:11:00 AM »
Thanks for the sympathies.  This guy beat pancreatic cancer and got another 12 years, so he had some good fortune, but one is never too old to survive and thrive.

James Bennett

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2005, 03:40:55 AM »
Hey "Ace" McBride

its called 'SKI-ing'.  Lots of the retirees with caravans do it on their travels around Australia's caravan parks.  Some do it on overseas jaunts.  Spending the Kids Inheritance.

And apparaently, they now believe senility to be hereditary, you get it from your kids! ;D
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

David Sneddon

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2005, 07:49:19 AM »
I had to cancel a 36-hole tournament at Royal Porthcawl 2 weeks ago because a very good friend passed away in San Francisco.

Being a senior has it's advantages, golf-wise, but other parts of it suck...... :'(

Sorry to hear about your friend, Rich, my sympathies.

A great friend of mine passed  away four years ago.  he was 64 and that was way too soon to go.  He had retired from the SSEB at age 55, and was a long time member of both Canmore and Leven GC's.  Willie played golf every day - oftern 36 holes - walking with a remote trolley, and was a regular player in the Seniors events all over Scotland.   He played and enjoyed the game with a great passion, travelled over this side of the pond a couple of times, and just loved Boston.

He had  massive heart attack and died on the 16th green, which I guess was as good a place as any, since he spent so much of his life on the course.  Willie was a golfer's golfer and I still miss him today.
Give my love to Mary and bury me in Dornoch

BCrosby

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2005, 08:43:11 AM »
Rich -

Please accept my condolences.

I have two deals that need to close mid-May. That's about the same time as Mucci's thing. Participants on this thread have described exactly the life vs. work decision I'm trying to make. When I was younger this stuff was so much easier.

Bob

« Last Edit: April 18, 2005, 08:46:20 AM by BCrosby »

PThomas

« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2005, 12:42:41 PM »
sorry for your loss Rich

it only took me about 40 years  ???to realize ?? how important it is to count one's blessings everday, esp my health and that of my wife and 3 girls...so much of the rest of life is really minutia

life truly is so precious and fragile ...a friend lost his wife who was 39, my sister in law/ same age has fought off cancer, my ex-babysitter lost a friend when he dropped his cell phone while driving, reached down to get it and got killed in a crash when he got back up. etc., etc., etc.....

these kinds of stories frankly scare the S*** out of me, but I think we gotta be positive, keep dodging life's bullets as best we can every day and enjoy things and friends like GCA every day

carpe diem all!
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Dan Kelly

« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2005, 10:50:32 PM »
In the many times I was in the hospital, I never met a fellow patient who said that they should have spent more time at the office.

In the current issue of The New Yorker, therre's a cartoon that shows two boys -- one carrying a big, heavy-looking backpack.

The other one is saying: "No one's last words were 'I wish I'd done more homework.' "

Sorry about your friend, Rich.

P.S. Not to be "flip" (not at all!), but ... what are those advantages to being a senior, golf-wise, that you see?

« Last Edit: April 18, 2005, 10:52:25 PM by Dan Kelly »
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back