News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us.

Michael Wharton-Palmer

500th post....my passion for the game
« on: March 17, 2005, 05:31:22 PM »
I decided that I wanted post #500 to mean something to me..if not to everybody else.
I though about what was it in the game of golf that continues to make me wake up in the morning with that maintained kid like passion.

I love swing mechanics..I love hitting balls working on those mechanics..I can imagine Hogan contemplating every nuance of the golf swing..I love standing there on the range trying to shape shots that I see in my mind..shots that I have had to play before, on courses that I only dreamt I would ever play..the grandest of golf sites

I love the competition the game provides. I cherish the opportunities I have been given to compete on great courses and at a level that sometimes makes me proud of all the hard work I have put into the game. Even though that same competition, sometimes tears at my stomach and on ocassions has me hunting for the closest funny farm.

I love the togetherness and comraderie that only this game is able to provide..whether that be on the golf course or at venues like GCA where equally passionate lunatics bare their souls and hunt for knowledge.

I love that the passion for the game encourages that search for knowledge and the realisation that people out there will share their wisdom with me..this game has taught me so much about life and how perhaps life should be led.

But, what I like most is the golf course itself..how every one brings to the forefront it's very own piece of the puzzle.

The sheer beauty and elegance of Cypress Point and Augusta National..The history and brilliance of Merion and Pine Valley, where one gets the feeling of the "Philly guys" all gathered above watching as I try to soak up every last inch of their respective masterpieces..imagining their toil and hard work as they planned and strategised to provide the ultimate routings.
The deep rooted passion that only the old traditional courses can provide...my frustration at trying to imagine what those guys were thinking..how could they be that brilliant and inspired?

The deep love of the links land, going back to my early days in the game...that unique smell, sound and sights that accompany the thrill of teeing it up in the sea breezes..the rugged dunes and  the fescues swirling in the breeze.
The shadows cast upon the undulating fairways as sunset appraoches and the ensuing shadows of the steep bunker slopes that render the sand a dark hue as if to signal their penal intent.

Walking up 18 at Royal Birkdale, Troon, St Andrews or Western Gailes..striding towards the inspiring clubhouses, with the fish and chips waiting in the  clubhouse dining room. I love the tradition and formality of the great venues..the no caps worn in the clubhouse..jacket and tie in the dining room, the pride of the club tie.

I love the genius of guys like Tom Doak whose vision and expertise bring my beloved links golf across the pond and at least one other continent.
I love the thrill of seeing a new course that leaves me tingling all over..in a way that Cypress, Pine Valley, Merion, Pacific Dunes and Western Gailes were able to do..the anticipation of that next "one"......courses that leave me stunned just as my wife  Teri Neal did on our first date....

Gentlemen..that is enough of your time..thank you for allowing me to divulge my passions on this site amongst people I have grown to respect.
I simply love the game of golf...long may she live.....michael

JSlonis

Re:500th post....my passion for the game
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2005, 05:38:02 PM »
Bravo!!! ;D

I echo heartily, every one of your sentiments.

You've got it all figured out my man. ;)
« Last Edit: March 17, 2005, 05:39:07 PM by JSlonis »

PThomas

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2005, 05:40:38 PM »
wow, I'll be coming on on my 500th fairly soon....I don't know if I can match that prose!

well said Michael!

pt
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Jason Topp

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2005, 05:42:08 PM »
Michael:

Nice post.  It truly was inspiring to see how hard you work at your game.  I figure if I can put half the work in you do, I could hope to crack 80 on a semi regular basis. If not, I'll have fun trying.

James Bennett

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2005, 05:42:40 PM »
Thank-you Michael for eloquently expressing your feelings

I love
- the beauty of the course throughout the seasons of the year,
- playing with my mates and playing by myself (not with myself :)),
- that almost spiritual, lingering feeling from when a well struck shot is on its way, and you know exactly what that inanimate object of a golf ball is going to do for the rest of its flight, and where it will bounce and roll after it lands (hopefully firm and fast as the pleasure lasts longer),
- the technical analysis of the game, be it equipment, play, swing or horticulture,

Basically, I love golf.  I think my wife (my greater love, above golf) understands this.
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Mark Brown

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2005, 07:46:01 PM »
Michael,

Great thougts.
It reminded me of a conversation with Mike Harmon, a great guy and head pro at Secession. He said, heck Secession's only 15 years old. Great clubs take 80 to 100 years to develop. I think we're on the right track but there's a lot of things we haven't done yet. Only time will tell.

John Kirk

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2005, 10:44:01 PM »
After shooting 37-45 today, finishing triple-triple for a smooth 82, I'm not sure I love golf anymore.

Nice post, Michael.  I'm sure we'll get a chance to meet one of these days.

Philip Gawith

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2005, 06:46:36 AM »
That is a great post Michael. You should consider giving up your day job! It is a nice idea that when you get to 500 you have qualified to deliver a peroration to the masses! Alas, you have set the bar rather high for the rest of us!

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2005, 05:56:55 PM »
Thank you for the nice comments, they are very much appreciated

TEPaul

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2005, 06:16:12 PM »
Michael:

Congratulations on your 500th post and a very fine one it is! And wonderful to have such as you on here! Now follow me into the back room upstairs in the Tree House and you will receive your well-earned "RIGHT of the 500!" For those of you on this web-site who have never spoken to Michael Wharton-Palmer, you should----he sounds like golf should sound!

;)
« Last Edit: March 18, 2005, 06:16:48 PM by TEPaul »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back