News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us.

Mike McGuire

Charleston area golf?
« on: March 18, 2005, 04:58:01 PM »
Looking for 1 or 2 courses to play  near Charleston SC ... Fri and Sat Apr 8-9 (Masters week) .

any ideas ?  please suggest private clubs that might allow reciprocal .. I prefer to play the old classsics.

Thanks for your help

Jeff_Mingay

Re:Charleston area golf?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2005, 05:15:16 PM »
Hi Mike.

Yeaman's Hall is a neat Raynor course where Doak and Jim Urbina redid the greens a few years ago. And, CC of Charleston features another Raynor design. The latter is a very flat course, not as interesting as Yeaman's I don't think - but the unbelievable par-three 11th is worth seeing! There are a couple of other neat holes, too.

As for modern courses, Legend Oaks was fun when I played it more than a few years ago now. There was a recent thread on that course here at GCA.com not too long ago. You might want to search for that thread...

jeffmingay.com

Brent Hutto

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2005, 05:20:45 PM »
Legend Oaks is in the process of having most of its back nine destroyed in order to build a housing development. It's a pity because the first ten holes seemed to be the kind of thing people around here would love and yet the course is cheap to play and available to the public year round.

Next weekend I'm going to be a half-hour from there and I'm seriously considering driving to the course and seeing if they'll let me play the front nine twice. Although the tenth hole has once of the coolest approach shots on the course.

[EDIT] Let me note that the back nine is still open for play but more than half the acerage on holes 11-17 have been either bulldozed or cordoned off with storm fencing in preparation for being bulldozed. They just expect the course to be played on the narrow strips of remaining land after literally removing major parts of some holes.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2005, 05:22:36 PM by Brent Hutto »

Daryl "Turboe" Boe

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2005, 05:22:29 PM »
Also Mike Strantz's Bulls Bay is a new private that you should be able to get on I would think.  Lots of interesting holes on it.  Then of course if we didnt mention the Kiawah Island courses are not to be missed Mike V. would have our heads (and they shouldnt be missed either)!

You also have Briars Creek private Rees that would be very tough to get on, and Daniel's Island private Fazio course that might do some reciprocal play.

Gotta run now, will post more later.
Instagram: @thequestfor3000

"Time spent playing golf is not deducted from ones lifespan."

"We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2005, 05:27:16 PM »
Brent,

I agree with your assessment of Legend Oaks, completely. It was apparent when I was there several years ago, housing was planned throughout the back nine. The final eight holes are comparatively awkward, no question.  

I enjoy the tenth as well. It's the most memorable hole, featuring a very attractive green site that presents a really exciting approach to the hole.

Despite its shortcomings, I'd recommend Legend Oaks over most of the higher profile Charleston area courses I've seen; particularly to members of this discussion group.  
jeffmingay.com

Evan_Green

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2005, 10:11:33 PM »
Some great golf in Charleston...

For classic course I recommend Yeamans Hall (Raynor)

For a Modern Course, but great architecture the Ocean Course at Kiawah is not far away and is awesome (Dye)

Be sure to see Ran's writeups of both - they are sensational courses

Mark Brown

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2005, 10:24:12 PM »
Cassique at Kiawah, private Tom Watson design
Bulls Bay- Strantz
The River Club at Kiawah, Fazio, very private, some good holes and nice setting
Old Wild Dunes - a lot of real estate around it

I'd do Yeaman's Hall and one of the top 3 above, or The Ocean Course.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2005, 10:24:57 PM by Mark Brown »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back