News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

NAF

Missed Opportunity
« on: March 17, 2005, 03:44:33 PM »
M
« Last Edit: April 03, 2005, 07:29:26 PM by NAF »

Scott_Burroughs

Re:Missed Opportunity
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2005, 04:15:25 PM »
Talk to Tommy about Florence, OR.

To some, Torrey Pines (S), although supposedly the restrictions about how far away they had stay away from the cliffs fizzles it some.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2005, 04:20:28 PM »
Although it's a good course, Huntsville near WilkesBarre, PA is on GREAT land, with hundreds of rolling acres.

The awkwardness of many of the holes from 13 on prove that it's a missed opportunity.

Sean Leary

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2005, 04:23:25 PM »
Spanish Bay.  I don't know exactly what environmental restrictions there were, but it seems they could have done so much more....

Sam Sikes

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2005, 04:49:12 PM »
Sandpiper?

Sam Sikes

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2005, 05:41:56 PM »
I will also throw The Ledges out there as a Missed Oppurtunity.  It is pretty good, but it could have been one of the best.  I truly believe that!  For those who have not seen the site, it is pretty unbelievable.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2005, 05:44:40 PM »
Scott Burroughs, Mike Cirba & Sam Sikes,

Rather then generalize, could you tell us in detail, exactly how the opportunities were missed.

Take as much time as you want to explain this to us.

Thanks.

HamiltonBHearst

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2005, 05:50:26 PM »

I think we need Dugger for this.  Then again, he has most likely actually seen the courses.

Sam Sikes

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2005, 06:07:33 PM »
I can't really specify for Sandpiper, just ocean frontage and pretty rolling property, Palmer as far as I can remember.

But for the Ledges, all it needed was a little variety.  There are 9 holes on the cliffs 1500 feet above Huntsville, AL and the surrounding area, but the cliff is on the left side on each of the holes.  Also, from the back tees, every par 4 plays between 405 and 459 yards, and proportionately the same from the shorter tees.  I would much rather see a few shorter than 360 and some longer than 480.   On the par 3s, I typically hit 3 iron, 6 iron, 6iron, 6 iron, 3 iron, in respective order.  You could say play the holes from different tees, but the holes were not designed to play that way.  Furthermore, the par 5 distances from the back tees, 600, 600, 575, 509.  I suppose the par 5s would be better if I mixed up the distances my self, but that usually doesn't fly in my group.  #15, 509 is an all-timer though, greatly rewarding a shot played to the correct side of the fairway.  It could be even better if they cleared some of the trees behind the green offering a downhill approach to a skyline green, pretty unique.  Beyond that, there are very few options at the Ledges, just hit it and go get it.  

I also think the golf course is just toooo big.  I think they could have used significantly less real estate to the extent of an even more dramatic effect.  

I would love to see how Doak, Coore, Devries, etc. would have routed the golf course on that property.  I grew up riding 4 wheelers on that land, and the possibilities are endless.

However, if you were to do a Top 100 most beautiful golf courses in the USA, it would be hard to overlook the Ledges if you have been there.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2005, 10:14:30 PM by Sam Sikes »

Kyle Harris

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2005, 06:10:55 PM »
Golfer I was caddying for: I'm headed to Merion after this, if you have your clubs with you, you can join me...
Me: Sorry sir, my clubs are at home.
Golfer: Oh well, sometime next week you can play as my guest here instead.

Lookaway as a guest or Merion... hmmm

After that point, my clubs ALWAYS were in my trunk.

Mike McGuire

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2005, 06:27:22 PM »
Kyle-

My car won't START if the clubs aren't in the trunk.

ian

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2005, 07:11:41 PM »
In Canada it's called Fox harb'r

One mile of ocean front at Fox Harb'r. Imagine no holes looking directly out at or angled to look at the sea  ???. The (large) containment mounding between the fairways and the ocean blocks 90% of the view to the water. The short course takes up the most dramatic piece of ocean front, where the perfect final hole would have gone.

This was a truly great site, and an opportunity lost.

Sam Sikes

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2005, 10:02:38 PM »
Here is a link to an aerial of the Ledges I found.  Its really neat that you can see how the land plan was laid our.  Golf course on the cliffs, homes in the middle.  All of the trees outside of the cleared area is pretty much straight down.  There are 100 places you could fall off and die instantly, and the architects were worried about an intimate routing for the sake of safety.  I dont get it.

If you zoom in you can see the fairway countours quite clearly.  This was taken a while ago, and probably in the late fall or early spring, so the grass isn't really green.

Im curious to hear what yall think.

http://terraserver.microsoft.com/addressimage.aspx?t=4&s=13&lon=-86.5101004495705&lat=34.675286073715&alon=-86.52977463&alat=34.7059158&w=1&opt=0&qs=20+asbury+rd%7chuntsville%7cal%7c&addr=20+Asbury+Rd+SE%2c+Huntsville%2c+AL+35801

The cleared area in the top of the picture is an area with a huge cell phone tower.  They couldn't have ended the lease on the property, so they decided to put residential lots with a view out the front door of the tower.  Go figure.  IMO they should have had some of the golf holes in that area, as it is some of the best on site, with the best views.  

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back