News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael Dugger

Spectacular Pacific Dunes
« on: March 15, 2005, 04:59:53 PM »
Simply awesome.......enjoy it

What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

ed_getka

Re:Spectacular Pacific Dunes
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2005, 07:09:27 PM »
As if I wasn't excited enough already about June 1. I feel like a kid sitting in front of a xmas tree looking longingly at presents I can't open yet. :-\
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

JohnV

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2005, 07:30:52 PM »
It always amazes me to see all the gorse since the first time I toured the place, it was all black charred bits from the fire they had there shortly before work was to begin.  That stuff is tough to kill.

Paul Richards

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2005, 08:14:34 PM »
John

I sure did enjoy playing PC with you!

Looking forward to a return trip to replay PC , BD and the new course as well!!!

Cheers!!!
"Something has to change, otherwise the never-ending arms race that benefits only a few manufacturers will continue to lead to longer courses, narrower fairways, smaller greens, more rough, more expensive rounds, and other mechanisms that will leave golf's future in doubt." -  TFOG

Paul Richards

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2005, 08:15:51 PM »
Michael

Great pictures!  Thanks for sharing.

Unfortunately, all of the photos I have of the course are through the fog and rain, for 36 holes, so this is a real treat!!!
"Something has to change, otherwise the never-ending arms race that benefits only a few manufacturers will continue to lead to longer courses, narrower fairways, smaller greens, more rough, more expensive rounds, and other mechanisms that will leave golf's future in doubt." -  TFOG

Gene Greco

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2005, 09:42:44 PM »
It's threads like this which help me make it through the winter - lots of photos of one of the greatest golf courses on Earth!
"...I don't believe it is impossible to build a modern course as good as Pine Valley.  To me, Sand Hills is just as good as Pine Valley..."    TOM DOAK  November 6th, 2010

JSlonis

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2005, 09:46:09 PM »
Michael,

Thanks for the wonder pictures.  I can't wait to see Pacific Dunes & Bandon up close some day.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2005, 10:34:02 PM by JSlonis »

RJ_Daley

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2005, 11:33:45 PM »
I'd like to be able to say something insightful and worth while to add to the discussion.  But, each new group of photos I see of Pac Dunes exceeds the last, and I'm left standing here without meaningful words.  I regret I missed our Sept 2001 GCA gathering there for the obvious reasons of that time.  I hope I will be lucky enough to get out there sometime, and soon.  The photos of the gorse makes me think, it would be wise to plan a week in the area at this somewhat off season late winter-early spring time, and hope I catch a few days of that etherial misty, fresh weather.  I don't want it to be lovely and warm.  I want some real Irish spring with a bit of bite to it when I finally get there.

I don't know if the photos make me feel alive and exuberant, or dead and gone to heaven.  
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Adam_F_Collins

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2005, 08:33:04 AM »
Michael,

Christ, you've taken some amazing photos here. The one of the flag with the waves behind - man. Some of these are picture-book quality. Do you take photos professionally at all?

What kind of camera did you take these with?

After looking at the two courses, I found myself thinking of the bunkers on PD as "cave-in" bunkers. Most of them appear to be areas where the turf simply 'gave way'... The bunker in the fifth pic looks a little more constructed, but most are quite natural in appearance.

Jfaspen

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2005, 09:12:20 AM »
these are some of the best course photos i have ever seen.. right up there with the sand hills ones..
thank you for sharing :)

jf

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2005, 09:28:59 AM »
Wondeful pictures, it reminds we why I was so impressed when I first saw the course.
It reminds me so much of all those wonderful courses back home, it is as if Tom was able to take the best features from each and roll them all into one.

When I came off the 18th green I turned to my playing partners and a said"as much as it hurts me to say this..as and englishman with all that links heritage in my homeland...I think I have just played the best links course in the world"
Your pictures simply remind me that I think I was right.

James Edwards

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2005, 09:57:38 AM »
Yes, I would like to add to the praise being given to the photographer Mr Dugger.  They are simply excellent images and you will be pleased to know that they have done the rounds around our studio in England and now a trip is no doubt in the pipeline - so we owe you a beer!
@EDI__ADI

Neil Regan

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2005, 01:07:41 PM »
Michael,

Great pictures. I don't see any other golfers. Is that usual there ?

Here is one of your pictures that I did a little work on. Which hole is this ?

Grass speed  <>  Green Speed

Michael Dugger

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2005, 02:30:17 PM »
Fellas,

Thanks so much for the kind words.  I am but a lover of the great golf courses just like the rest of you.  Thankfully, I live so close to Bandon that it is feasible to get there fairly frequently.  It's only about four hours from Portland.

The series of pictures above were taken with two cameras, one a Canon and the other a Sony.  Lighting plays a big factor in getting good ones, and I certainly did not post everything I have because many of them did not come out as well.  I might stick them up anyways, however.

Anyone can take good images now days with about a $400 digital camera.  Set the resolution high, shrink them down for quality.  Take a couple shots because sometimes one or two does not come out so hot.  

When we first ventured out the fog was quite thick, I was thankful it cleared up so I could get some decent shots.

I wish I could get paid to travel around the world taking pictures.  That would be swell indeed.  Y'all feel free to download and what not.  I have bigger versions in case some of you (N. Regan comes to mind) want larger ones.  I think I have 'em at 2592 x 1728, although the ones poster here are 1000 x 750.  (For the benefit of dial uppers)

Hey, maybe Doak wants some for his book!!!  If it ever gets finished!! ;)
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Michael Dugger

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2005, 04:03:52 PM »
Michael,

Great pictures. I don't see any other golfers. Is that usual there ?

Here is one of your pictures that I did a little work on. Which hole is this ?

That is #14, an ornery little short par 3.  Oh, and I waited until the group ahead cleared the green before shooting it.  Usually the course is fairly busy and the marshalls have become nazis about the pace of play.  Sort of burns my ass a little, to tell you the truth.  If I was paying $200 I'd be pissed off getting hassled about pace of play.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back