News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

NAF

Rochford Hundred
« on: March 03, 2005, 08:16:28 AM »
Uk-Philes or Mark Rowlinson--

I've heard this is quite a good course in Essex that a church lies in the middle of.  I'm quite enamored with courses that have churches on the grounds (St. Enodoc, Burnham).  Does anyone know the pedigree and whether it is indeed a good course?  I believe Essex is one of the golf poor spots in the UK with hardly any good courses from what my intelligence has gleaned.

JohnV

Re:Rochford Hundred
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2005, 08:38:57 AM »
I believe that this is the course that my uncle was a member of for many years.  Is it alongside the airport there?  Are there old military emplacements on it?  If so, I played it a few times when I was a teenager and used to go over to England every other summer.  I always enjoyed the course, although I don't remember anything other than what I mentioned above.

NAF

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2005, 08:49:14 AM »
John

It is indeed by the airport, so you do know it.. I just can't get any info about it.. I hope it is old style..

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2005, 09:00:41 AM »
Here's an interesting review from a quick google:

"The course is bordered on one side by Sothend Airport and on another by the busy railway line - so this is unlikely to be a peaceful day`s golf! It`s a flat course and you won`t find a truly memorable hole. The condition of the fairways and greens is generally good but there`s nothing here to get excited about from a golfing point of view."

No mention of a church.
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

JohnV

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2005, 09:09:32 AM »
I played it back in the 60s and remember enjoying playing there with my dad and my uncle.  There were a number of old bunkers (and I don't mean the sand ones) built on the course to defend the airport during WW II.  I remember my uncle telling me that they occasionally found unexploded bombs on the course.  There were even sheep still on the course back then.  All that made it pretty cool to a teenager.

I really wasn't into GCA in those days so I can't comment on its qualities in that arena.

NAF

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2005, 09:21:41 AM »
A127 towards Southend on Sea turning for Rochford. Flat parkland course ancient clubhouse course surrounds church. 18 holes 6302 yards (white boxes). S.S.S. 70.

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2005, 09:24:07 AM »
A couple of other course descriptions:

Parkland course, many natural hazards including ditches, water comes into play on several holes testing your accuracy and nerve! Long holes and quality greens. A good challenge to all levels of experience, excellent clubhouse and facilities, a handicap certificate is required.
Location/Description
A127 towards Southend on Sea turning for Rochford. Flat parkland course ancient clubhouse course surrounds church. 18 holes 6302 yards (white boxes). S.S.S. 70

This seems to confirm the bit about the church.  Unfortunately I can't find an aerial photo on Multimap.  The address is Hall Road, Rochford, SS4 1NW if you know of another aerial source.

T_MacWood

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2005, 09:28:49 AM »
Noel
I remember reading about Rochford somewhere, I don't recall exactly where, but I believe it was designed by CK Hutchison (or Hutchison and Campbell).

NAF

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2005, 09:35:35 AM »
Tom-

Would be very interested if you come across that.. I'd love to do an article on UK courses with churches on them.. I'd reckon there are at least one dozen.

Andy Levett

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2005, 09:51:32 AM »
C&W say Hutchison did Stoke Rochford in Lincolnshire - a different course. I know nuffink about the one in Essex.

David_Tepper

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2005, 01:46:26 PM »
The opening holes of Ballycastle on the Causeway Coast in Northern Island play around the ruins of a 13th century friary.

NAF

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2005, 07:44:00 AM »
It says James Braid is the designer in Mark Rowlie's Times guide.. But then again, every course in the UK was visited by that gentleman... Funny so, as he hated to travel.

And of course PENNARD has a church (what is left) on the grounds!
« Last Edit: March 04, 2005, 07:44:59 AM by NAF »

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2005, 08:04:19 AM »
If it says Braid in the Times Guide it is because the club told me that.

T_MacWood

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2005, 07:07:56 PM »
Braid may have redesigned it, but Peter Paxton originally laid out the course...who ever he was.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2005, 07:08:18 PM by Tom MacWood »

JohnV

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2005, 07:35:53 PM »
In thinking about it some more I seem to recall a very traditional old English stone church with a big spire near the course.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back