News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

peter_p

Daley's Next Book out in April
« on: February 25, 2005, 06:35:12 PM »
Paul Daley's 3rd volume of Golf Architecture- A Worldwide Perspective will be out in April. This was his email.

Please excuse a shameless plug for my new 368-page book coming out in late April 2005. It is called Golf Architecture: A Worldwide Perspective - Vol. three. In addition to forty-eight essays by leading golf-course architects and writers, I'm featuring six large PICTURE ESSAYS: Sand Hills; Woodhall Spa; Isle of Harris;  Concept greens; Bandon Trails; and The Abaco Club on Winding Bay (The Bahamas).

Retailing at AU$69.95 plus postage, would you be interested in obtaining a copy? A discount applies for bulk orders.

One should never choose between favourite sons and daughters, but I sense this is the best of my six golf books.

Best wishes,
Paul Daley

www.fullswinggolf.com.au/

« Last Edit: February 25, 2005, 06:35:52 PM by Peter Pittock »

Mike_Sweeney

Re:Daley's Next Book out in April
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2005, 07:23:36 PM »
Peter,

I am sorry, as I can't find the specific page. Can you repoint us?

Thanks

peter_p

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2005, 07:52:56 PM »
I can't find it on his website in the books or order-on-line section, so I probably jumped the gun a bit. If you want to pre-order from him, I'd suggest the "contact us" box
 http://www.fullswinggolf.com.au/index_contact.asp?menuid=2
« Last Edit: February 25, 2005, 07:53:48 PM by Peter Pittock »

Mark_Guiniven

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2005, 08:16:25 PM »
Page one of volume one of 'G A' begins with an image of the thirteenth hole at Pacific Dunes that is, quite simply, as good as it gets. The contributions that follow don't let it down.

Volume two took up right where volume one left off and gets even stronger. Andrew Cunningham's superb layout design is polished and innovative, and, as an editor, Paul himself is always meticulous.

April should be a very good month indeed.

Paul_Daley

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2005, 11:25:04 PM »
Peter P: A delightful surprise to find my morning email posted on GCA. Much obliged for starting the Golf Archie Vol. three ball rolling. A reference to GAV-3 hasn't been posted on my website as yet.

Mike S: I've sent you an email.

Mark G: Thank you for your thoughts, especially the ones pertaining to ace book designer Andrew Cunningham. "Cunny" is equally happy to pour over each page, in spite of us being "plugged in the bunker" together for six years. He's done a terrific job.

It was a pleasure to include your treatise on Cape Kidnappers in Vol. three. Backed up by stunning photography from Larry Lambrecht, you've helped explain how Tom Doak, Bruce Hepner & Co joined the dots on the five-fingered ex-sheep farming properties. It was instructive to learn of the considerations facing soils/turf expert Dave Wilber. I also enjoyed the way you weaved in the wildlife aspect of Cape Kidnappers, Julian Robertson's involvement, the back-of-green 'backdrop' emphasis, and bunkering methodolgy. Good work old bean!

Here is a rough 'working' copy of the Contents Page, not necessarily listed in order. You'll recognise many of the names. In the interests of space, the essay titles have been abridged.

St Andrews Beach, Australia                Tom Doak
Friar’s Head, USA                               John Morrissett
Sutton Bay Club, USA                         Graham Marsh
Becoming a golf-course designer           Mike Nuzzo
The rhythm and flow of a golf course     Mike DeVries
The UK Heathlands                    Paul Turner
Trends that revert to traditional values  Rick Robbins

PICURE ESSAY: THE ABACO CLUB ON WINDING BAY, THE BAHAMAS

Royal Melb at Sandringham 1901-1905   Dr John Green
Royal Melb at Sandringham 1905-1930   Dr John Green
Creating old-fashioned character          Mark Thawley
Armed with visual challenges                Dunlop White 111
Blackhawk, Canada                            Andrew Penner

PICTURE ESSAY: ISLE OF HARRIS GOLF CLUB, SCOTLAND

Cart-path design                               Jeffrey B Brauer
Barnbougle Dunes Golf Links, Australia    Paul Daley
A prolegomenon to future architecture   Dr Thomas Climo
Hamburger Golf Club, Falkenstein          Tony Ristola
Meditations on the putting surface        David Wilber
Developing a master plan       Paul Richards and Tom. E. Paul  
Preserving the world’s great courses     Jeff Mingay
Environmental golf corridor                  Gregory Wright
Painswick Golf Club, England                Robin Hiseman
Visuals in the golfscape        Tony Cashmore
I love the seventies                  Brian Curley
Tees               Gary Panks
An Indian perspective        Phil Ryan

PICTURE ESSAY: SAND HILLS, USA

How soft are today’s golfers?     Michael Clayton
Cape Kidnappers, New Zealand             Mark Guiniven
St Andrews Bay, Scotland        Scott Macpherson
The evolution of the green complex     Arthur Hills
There is a cancer on golf        Ronald Fream
A Melbourne sandbelt masterpiece: Victoria GC John Lindsay
The Ballybunion experience        Tim Weiman
James Peter Gannon: ‘Peter the Great’  Christoph Meister
St George’s bunker restoration, Canada Ian Andrew  
Bunkering the dogleg                          Neil Crafter
The Sands, Torquay         Fiona Langford

PICTURE ESSAY: CONCEPT GREEN COMPLEXES (Tony Ristola)             
Mission Hills, China                              Harley Kruse  
The case for renovation                     Howard Swan
The Ridge at Back Brook, USA     Pamela A. Moore
The caddie from Carnoustie        Andrew Coogan
Is golf meant to be fair?          Jeremy Glenn
The perfect links?           Brett Morrissy
The revival of Ratho, Australia      Greg Ramsay
The natural course                   Michael Gitsham

PICTURE ESSAY: WOODHALL SPA, ENGLAND

The Dunk Island upgrade        Scott Dowdle
Building a USGA putting green at home Rob Crompton
Wild Horse Golf Club, USA                 Brad Swanson  
Golf-course accessories                     Dunlop White 111

PICTURE ESSAY: BANDON TRAILS, USA

Mark_Guiniven

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2005, 03:17:49 AM »
Have you left the series open-ended Paul, or was it always going to be just the trilogy? You've done a bloody good job anyway.

How do you know Scott Macpherson? He plays at PB. Weird if you didn't know that and have put us together.

Paul_Daley

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2005, 08:51:16 AM »
Mark: It is tempting to push on for a fourth volume, especially at a time when I seem to be getting the hang of it, and am having fun. Heaven knows, there is no shortage of potential material. But alas, I'm cutting out, mainly in the interests of freeing up time to sell the previous books through the pipeline. That focus takes a lot of time, way more than I've been devoting to the task. Being the world's worst businessman, I've spent too long "plugged in the bunker" and not enough time sharpening my stroke.  

Funny that you should mention Scott Macpherson. Following all the big golf developments is addictive; as it turned out, he emailed me eighteen months ago when his firm's St Andrews Bay was relatively fresh news, and we took it from there. He is a prolific emailer.

ed_getka

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2005, 10:04:34 AM »
Paul,
  I look forward as always to the next volume. I think years from now these books will give an incredible insight into what was happening in golf architecture at this time (as it already does now).
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Dave Kemp

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2005, 10:09:25 AM »
Impressive looking table of contents, can't wait to see the final product.

As a relatively recent "addict" of these types of books I look forward to adding it to my collection.  

Like a kid awaiting Christmas April can't come soon enough.  A fine book to read, the Masters to watch and by the end of the month there should be a chance to play the game in this great winter wonderland (Canada) I call home.

Paul_Daley

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2005, 01:05:11 AM »
Ed G:

Thank you for your kind words and prediction.

Sadly due to the limitation of space, every worthy golf development cannot be documented. Indeed, some really fine ones have been missed. Pleasingly, though, every truly great development of the past few years has been captured.

I've tried to make the books much more than just documenting the courses; gaining insight to the thought processes that help bring these courses to fruition is, for me, and perhaps others, where the true fun of the fair lies.

David K:
Welcome aboard to the madness of collecting golf architecture books! Being addictive, your wallet is in for a hiding. I've thought about some "must-reads" to fill your new library. Everyone will have different opinions, but the following titles would be solid start to your collection:

(1) Golf Architecture (1920) Alister Mackenzie
(2) Spirit of St Andrews (1995) Alister Mackenzie
(3) The Anatomy of Golf Course (1992) Tom Doak
(4) Discovering Donald Ross (1990) Brad Klein
(5) Golf Architecture In America: Its Design and Construction (1927) George Thomas Jr
(6) The Architectural Side of Golf (1929) T. Simpson and H.N. Wethered
(7) The Golden Age of Golf Design (1999) Geoff Shackelford
(7) The Golf Course (1980) Geoffrey Cornish and Ron Whitton
(8) A.W. Tillinghast Trilogy by Rick Wolffe and Bob Trebus:
     The Course Beautiful
     Reminiscences of the Links
     Gleanings from the Wayside

(9) The Confidential Guide (1996) Tom Doak
(10) Some Essays on Golf Course Architectuire (1920) Harry S. Colt
(11) Golf Has Never Failed Me - (1996) Donald Ross

Good luck with the Canadian thaw; you must be fairly chomping at the bit to get out and play!

Jonathan Cummings

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2005, 12:07:20 PM »
I refuse to buy it unless I get a signed copy!  :D

(Can't wait to see it Paul)

JC

Paul_Daley

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2005, 02:23:45 AM »
JC: It was fun to catch up at Cape Kidnappers and shoot the breeze. A pleasure to send you a signed copy in April - they're becoming a bit common - it might be worth more to have a 'plain Jane'  copy.  ;)

Jonathan Cummings

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2005, 09:09:30 AM »
Paul - ditto kiddo!

I soooo enjoyed Kidnappers!  I got a post card from Doak's group a while back.  A picture of St Andrews Beach was on the front.  Doak wrote "rumor has it this place is better than Nappers".  Well, from what I've heard Cape Kidnappers may be in third place of Doak's three recent efforts in the southern hemisphere!  I am still kicking myself for bailing out on the Aussie and Tazzie portions of the trip.

I'll be back next winter and hope we can play a round or two.

JC

Jeremy_Glenn.

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2005, 06:33:36 PM »
I actually got the idea for my essay from a thread a couple of years ago on this very site.  I think we were talking about Mike Weir playing the 15th at Pebble Beach, where his approach too a big hop over the green.  I suggested to Geoff Shackleford that he write an article on the difference between luck and fairness.  Then I figured I'd write it myself!  :)  

Unfortunately for you all, Geoff would've probably written it better...

Paul Richards

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2005, 10:23:05 PM »
Paul

Looking forward to it!!

Cheers!!
"Something has to change, otherwise the never-ending arms race that benefits only a few manufacturers will continue to lead to longer courses, narrower fairways, smaller greens, more rough, more expensive rounds, and other mechanisms that will leave golf's future in doubt." -  TFOG

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back