News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Mike McGuire

Re:How do you read the greens?
« Reply #50 on: March 16, 2005, 11:59:04 PM »
it is but without the drugs..

watch this turn into a caddyshack thread....

TEPaul

« Reply #51 on: March 17, 2005, 07:04:20 AM »
Mike McGuire:

I don't know if anyone can be a good putter merely by thinking they're good but I sure have seen too many golfers who probably are or could be pretty good putters not be good putter simply because they too easlly convince themselves they're not good putters. Negative thoughts in putting is definitely not good, particularly on short putting.

I always used that plumb-bob for the line and found a spot generally a few feet from the hole to roll the ball through and that last little wrinkle always seemed to help with proper speed. Once I plumb-bobbed for that spot (which may've been some sort of apex) I never thought about direction again just rolling it to it or through it and I never thought about putting mechanics at all---just getting the ball from here to that point. It always worked well enough for my satisfaction.

Actually, I'll tell you something funny---in that about 25 year span I always felt I putted well all the time (no slumps) but in that time for about two years for some reason I got so interested in that spot I found with my plumb-bob, I actually continued to look at it while I hit the putt. In that two year span I putted even better. And then on the 4th hole of the club championship one time our pro was refereeing the match and after I putted on that hole he came up to me and said; "Did I actually see what I thought I saw that you weren't even looking at the ball?" I said that was true and he said that was the craziest thing he'd ever heard of, so I never did it again!!  ;)
« Last Edit: March 17, 2005, 07:06:09 AM by TEPaul »

TEPaul

« Reply #52 on: March 17, 2005, 07:10:44 AM »
With that thing about not looking at the ball---looking at some spot while you putt, I remember about 6-7 years ago the guy who won the British Senior Open did that. And on his last putt in the final round to win the tournament the announcers realized it and were completely amazed. Here was a guy they'd been looking at most of the day and they never even realized he was doing that until his last putt!  ;)
« Last Edit: March 17, 2005, 07:11:34 AM by TEPaul »

Top100Guru

« Reply #53 on: March 17, 2005, 11:57:56 AM »
To TE Paul's last post, do this. Go through your pre-shot routine, and before striking the ball, be focussed on a specific dimple on the ball (if your eyesight is that good) or at a minimum, look at a specific letter in the brand name of the ball with which you are playing. After, and only after you have struck the ball, and can't remember what you were looking at, should you look up to see where the ball went. Good rule of thumb, on a 10 footer or less, you should only "hear" the ball go in the cup or at worst see it dropping in or just skirting the lip.

Next: On very fast greens with lots of slope, I think that spot putting is key. An over-read spot putt will likely have a slower pace at the hole and leave you more taps in (if you miss) than an under-read putt which will often times zoom by the hole and "never have a chance to go in" You will also leave yourself w/ more 3-6 foot comebackers.

As for drainage, everybody is right on with this comment. That is why, in qualifiers and other events, I always will go play in the rain on these courses I havent played often or maybe never even seen. That is the best damn way to get a feel for the slopes and breaks, PERIOD!

Finally, the consensus here is speed, speed, speed. I concur, that the right speed is everything. And to that point, let me offer you this VERY IMPORTANT TIP:

WHEN YOU START YOUR ROUND AND ARE ON #1 GREEN WITH A 18 FOOTER (or whatever length) MAKE SURE THAT YOU HIT THE BALL WITH ENOUGH SPEED TO GET PAST THE HOLE!!! YOU CAN ALWAYS ADJUST YOUR SPEED AS YOU GO BY BACKING OFF, BUT LEAVE THAT FIRST ONE SHORT, OR ON THE SECOND & THIRD GREENS YOU DO THE SAME.....WELL, YOU WILL BE BATTLING BEING SHORT ALL DAY LONG. DONT BE AFFRAID TO HAVE A FEW 3-6 FOOTERS EARLY, BECAUSE YOU'LL MAKE MORE PUTTS LATER. BESIDES, A PUTT LEFT SHORT NEVER HAS A CHANCE TO GO IN, BUT A PUTT WITH TOO MUCH SPEED ALMOST ALWAYS HAS A CHANCE...

Easier to back off your speed versus ramping up your pace.

Good luck!
« Last Edit: March 17, 2005, 12:01:14 PM by McConkey III »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back