News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Patrick_Mucci

Re:Shot Distortion
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2004, 10:37:24 AM »
George Pazin,

NGLA

# 1  hit from elevated tee to valley, hit up to green
# 2  hit up to fairway, hit down to green
# 3  hit from elevated tee to valley, hit up to green
# 4  hit from elevated tee to green
# 5  hit from elevated tee to fairway, hit down to green
# 6  hit from elevated tee down to green
# 8  hit up to fairway, hit sharply up to green
# 9  hit from elevated tee down to fairway
# 10 hit from elevated tee to fairway, hit down to green
# 11 hit from tee down to valley
# 15 hit from elevated tee to fairway
# 16 hit from elevated left tee or lower right tee up to fairway
       hit to elevated green
# 17 hit from elevated tee down to fairway
# 18 hit up to fairway, hit up to green.

How does it work at Shinnecock on #'s 1,9, 10, 11, 13, 14, 15 and # 18 ?

How will it work at Sebonack ?

Tom_Doak

« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2004, 11:36:05 AM »
John V:  I still haven't seen The Bridge, but all the descriptions I've heard say pretty much all of the par-4 holes there are down off the tee and up to the green.

Pat:  Sebonack has a couple of holes which are downhill off the tee and back uphill on the approach:  specifically holes 2, 3 and 10, which are all parallel with the 18th hole and sort of step down toward it, overlooking the bay.  I'm confident no one will think those holes are repetitive or dull.

George Pazin

« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2004, 12:14:56 PM »
I can't speak to NGLA - I haven't had the pleasure.

My gut tells me, however, that the elevated tees are not the same thing as the situation with the mountain courses Matt is criticising. You'll have to ask him, though, for the specifics.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Matt_Ward

« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2004, 06:09:28 PM »
George:

You are quite correct -- for the most part I am referring to courses where major elevation changes are usually in play throughout the round. That's one of the reasons why designing golf in such locales is quite difficult.

Owners of such property want the all-encompassing expansive view and pressure architects -- unless they are so eager to include it beforehand -- to include such limited holes. The formulaic drop-shot par-3 really needs to be mothballed unless the architect can really add something that is a bit original. Two of the better ones I have played recently came with my trek to the northern plains -- the 3rd at Hawktree in Bismarck, ND and the 15th at Bully Pulpit in Medora, ND are the exception in being stellar holes.

Clearly, there are ways to combat "shot distortion" but it requires a bit more imagination than what usually comes forward from the many courses I have played that are located in such locales.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back