News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jeff_Mingay

Favourite Holes By Design
« on: August 30, 2004, 04:07:04 PM »
Paul Daley's done it again!

I received my copy of "Favourite Holes By Design, The Architect's Choice" this morning, and it's another fantastic editing, writing, and publishing effort by our friend, Paul, and his company, Full Swing Golf Publishing.

FSGP is putting out some of the classiest looking, most informative books in golf these days - including "Golf Architecture, A Worldwide Perspective: Volumes 1 and 2".  

"Favourite Holes..." includes essays on individual "favourite" holes by golf architects from throughout the world, including GCA contributors Neil Crafter, Tom Doak, Todd Eckenrode, Brett Mogg, Michael Clayton, Jeff Brauer, Jeremy Glenn, Mike DeVries, Brian Phillips, Kelly Moran, Forrest Richardson, and yours truly. Each essay is accompanied by a drawing relative to the featured hole, too.

I'm priviledged to be involved with Paul's projects. And his new book will be a welcomed addition to your libraries.  
jeffmingay.com

THuckaby2

Re:Favourite Holes By Design
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2004, 04:09:16 PM »
Sounds fantastic.

I want it.

So how do I get it, here in the US?  Took me forever to get the two Golf Architecture volumes....

TH

Jimmy Muratt

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2004, 04:15:04 PM »
This is a wonderful book.  I received my copy a couple weeks ago and have spent quite a bit of time with it.  What I have enjoyed are reading about some of the lesser known holes which are profiled.  

There is also a good section in the back of the book where each architect picks their 5 favorite par 3's, par 4's and par 5's.  

You can get the book directly from Paul Daley, his email address is:

fswing@bigpond.net.au
« Last Edit: August 30, 2004, 04:15:29 PM by Jimmy Muratt »

Tom_Doak

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2004, 05:21:33 PM »
Jeff:

It is indeed a beautiful book, in my opinion the most interesting of Paul's publications to date.  It was fascinating to see the selection of holes, and the variety of viewpoints behind those selections.

The bummer was that the show-stealer was the piece by Ron Fream on that hole in Nepal ... I've never wanted to go see a golf hole more than that one!

Being asked to list "five favorite holes" of each par was a strange exercise when you have all the world to choose from.  Only five architects out of however many picked a hole from Pacific Dunes, but I was pretty happy to discover that they each picked a different hole!
« Last Edit: August 30, 2004, 05:23:22 PM by Tom_Doak »

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2004, 06:05:31 PM »
Tom,

I agree. Ron Fream's essay was the "show-stealer".

Ron features one of the most interesting holes I've ever encountered - and definitely the best "dirt" hole I've come across! Good on you, Ron, for featuring the fourth at Himalayan GC in Nepal. An excellent choice.

Doak's essay on the second at St. Andrews Old ain't bad either!

The thing is, Paul Daley's doing some important work. But the only way he'll be empowered to continue to make a go at it is if people buy his books. Of course, his marketplace starts here at this website discussion group... so, at least inquire about his books at the email address noted above.

Paul's a great guy. And a hardworker who really loves golf and course architecture. If nothing else, you'll receive an entertaining email note in response! Paul's always good for that  :)
jeffmingay.com

THuckaby2

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2004, 06:10:08 PM »
Paul's a great guy. And a hardworker who really loves golf and course architecture. If nothing else, you'll receive an entertaining email note in response! Paul's always good for that  :)

I want to buy his books, I am a huge fan.  I will send him an email.  But is that the only way, by troubling Paul himself for this?  No amazon, nothing on-line?  If the goal is enough financial success to keep him working on these, well... hard to believe email personal orders will do the trick.

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2004, 06:15:12 PM »
Tom,

Personal email orders cut out the Amazon.com's and other internet distributors. So perhaps, yes, a personal email order may lend Paul a bit more "financial success"!

Plus, you get an entertaining response from Paul, and a personalized book as well. Not a bad deal for both parties, as I see it  ;D
jeffmingay.com

George Pazin

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2004, 06:15:13 PM »
Considering the other books have made it on, I'm sure this one will get to Amazon and the mass market places eventually. In the meantime, we should consider ourselves lucky.

If you've ordered from Paul before, you might even get a personal order form. :) Mine's on the way, Paul - can't wait to see the result.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Paul_Daley

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2004, 06:31:13 PM »
Tom: It's no trouble at all to supply you directly with a signed, dated, and personalised copy. Shoot me through an email with your current address.

I hear what you say about no online, no Amazon, and so forth. Makes me sound like a real "slacko." Steps are being taken to address these shortcomings. Currently my website is under construction, and E-commerce facilities will be included. It is being launched in three weeks! Additionally, negotiations are currently taking place with a US publisher for Favourite Holes rights and distribution. In the meantime, every direct order helps this little outfit stay afloat.

Neil Regan

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2004, 01:35:27 AM »
Paul's book is one that invites repeated reading. Each essay enhances the others, and many will be referred to in discussions such as are frequent here on GCA. The holes selected for essays are a good start towards a new collection of classic holes.
Grass speed  <>  Green Speed

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2004, 07:25:13 AM »
Neil,

I share your enthusiam for Paul Daley's latest effort. If Ran's course reviews here at GCA may be considered the best golf course reviews - a reasonable claim - than Paul's collection of essays may be the best commentary about individual holes.

I'm surprised the book hasn't received more attention here......could it be what Tommy suggests.....that people don't like or bother to read?

P.S. I was especially happy to see Patrick Burton's essay on #15 at Prestwick. Doesn't it have one of the more enjoyable approach shots in golf?
Tim Weiman

Paul_Daley

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2004, 08:56:32 AM »
Tim, Neil, George, Tom, Tom, Jeff, and Jimmy: thank you for your generous praise of "Favourite Holes by Design." While worrying commercial realities are at stake, it is paramount that the architects and design firms are accorded their due recognition for such excellent contributions, both essays and in-house artwork, and for how they undertook the project in good faith. Here's to them!!

Although the emphasis was not on photography, the images of L. Lambrecht, D. Scaletti, A. Bradley, T. Roberts, R. Fream, R. Kirk, M. Whitright, and B. Mogg definitely enhanced the book.

I have reflected upon one salient point: although the essayists are architects, they were golfers many years before entering the profession of golf-course architecture. In this respect, one of the highlights was the personal "golfy" manner they penned their thoughts, not as stressed-out architects hunting down their next project. Put simply, each writer threw their heart over the bar, usually, in an endearing child-like way. I sense that aspect will appeal to the readership.  

Bruce Katona

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2004, 05:13:59 PM »
I just corresponded with Paul.  My copy is in the mail as we speak.  I look forward to receiving and enjoying it.

THuckaby2

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2004, 05:31:35 PM »
I too just had a cool email exchange with Paul and the book should be on its way shortly.

As for this:

I'm surprised the book hasn't received more attention here......could it be what Tommy suggests.....that people don't like or bother to read?

How can people discuss what they don't have?  The first I heard of this book was when this thread appeared.  I can't be alone in this.  I guess the contributors themselves, and a few others, get advance copies... but it seems to that with a few exceptions, these people don't post much here!  And even besides that, the sum total of people who've seen the book to date can't be very large, can it?

So patience... when more of us see it, I'm sure proper attention will be given.

TH

George Pazin

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2004, 05:35:34 PM »
There have been other threads devoted to this book. I can't remember who or when - recently, maybe 2-3 weeks ago - but there have been. It's just that most of the folks who ordered it probably haven't received it yet.

And if this group doesn't read, then God help everyone else. This group reads more than any group I know, short of an actual book club. And it supports the writers who contribute to the site, to the best of its ability.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

THuckaby2

« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2004, 05:45:35 PM »
Damn. I have to pay better attention.  This very thread is indeed the first I have heard of this book, though I don't doubt that George is correct.

But my patience comment stands... as more of us get it and read it, I feel confident the book will get its proper due.  And man is George right about this group and reading... our level is on hundred times that of all other golfers I know!

TH

Sean Walsh

« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2004, 03:07:44 AM »
Yes there have been other threads on this book.  However these have been almost exclusively replied to by Australians (who had the opportunity to buy the book at the golf show in melbourne), friends (who know of this and Paul's next two or three projects) or contributors (whose knowledge and interest of/in the book is obvious).  

We in Australia are generally weeks or months behind on releases to the states, Paul is our revenge.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back