News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us.

Jordan Wall

Green Firmnmess Idea
« on: July 02, 2006, 10:03:39 PM »
At a course I play very often, greens have a very different firmness, and enough difference to where being in the shade or being in the shadows would make such a radical change to how firm they are.  I do not know if the club meant for the greens to be like this or not.

But, my question is, is this a good way to challenge players, especially on an easier course?   For instance, make the greens you are hitting a short iron into firmer and the greens in which a long iron is used softer.  Is this a good idea, or am I crazy.
The bigger part of my brain thinks I am crazy but its actually kind of fun..

Matt_Cohn

Re:Green Firmnmess Idea
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2006, 12:13:45 AM »
Jordan,

I think that building greens with front to back slope on short holes accomplishes the same thing (right?). It seems more acceptable to the general public, and easier to maintain for sure.

Is it "natural" for a punchbowl green and a hilltop green to be equally firm? Or is it more "natural" to have a soft punchbowl and a hard hilltop?

Jordan Wall

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2006, 01:30:51 AM »
Matt,

Is it not true that on many courses open to the public there are very few front to back sloping greens...

I see what you mean but there is my dilemna...

Kyle Harris

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2006, 04:57:57 AM »
Matt,

Is it not true that on many courses open to the public there are very few front to back sloping greens...

I see what you mean but there is my dilemna...

Jordan,

Neshanic Valley in New Jersey is a muni with many front to back sloping greens.

TEPaul

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2006, 06:20:43 AM »
" For instance, make the greens you are hitting a short iron into firmer and the greens in which a long iron is used softer. "

In my opinion, and generally, that's not a good idea.

Craig Sweet

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2006, 06:30:29 AM »
We have many greens that are higher in the back than the front...this is a problem when its been wet...however, when they dry out, a putt form above the hole can be an adventure for some golfers...we strive for consistancy from green to green, but obviously some greens will be faster/slower than others for all kinds of reasons....and I'm not sure the "beginner golfer" would even notice.
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back