News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tommy Williamsen

European Club
« on: July 20, 2004, 01:20:07 AM »
Periodically someone mentions this course when talking about Golf in Ireland.  It seems there are differing opinions of the course.  I have played it about ten times and like it better eaach time I play it.  Except for the 18th hole I like every hole.  Help me understand what some of think the shortcomings are.  
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Jack_Marr

Re:European Club
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2004, 04:50:44 AM »
I have no real criticisms of the course, except that maybe the fairways are a bit too flat. I think there's a very good feel about the place.

Oh, and there's no bar license...
John Marr(inan)

James Edwards

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2004, 05:58:12 AM »
Ive heard some say that they dont like the camber of the opening holes?  The severity of the fairways...  

Jack,  Interesting comment - you have no doubt played the course more than me so which holes have the flat fairways?

Cheers

James

P.S  For the record I am one of the fans of the European Club.  Excellent holes on the edge of the ocean!
« Last Edit: July 20, 2004, 05:58:38 AM by James J.S Edwards »
@EDI__ADI

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2004, 10:29:45 PM »
I know there are others out there.  Talk to me.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Sean Walsh

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2004, 05:46:40 AM »
I have only played it once and wasn't going to post because it was just one course too far (the 26th of my trip). So I must say it didn't really grab me.  Not to say it wasn't a very good cours, it is.  Just that it doesn't hold the same place in my memory as Lahinch, Carne, Enniscrone, Ballyliffin, The Island, Waterville, Tralee.  I played reasonably well on the day so it's not sour grapes.  

One thing I would say is that it was quite lush compared to those other Irish courses I mentioned.  Which I wouldn't say was a plus.  

I would say that I would be quite happy to play it again but I would play a few others in the same price range first.  

One positive was the staff (one of them a Ruddy, I think).  They were all very pleasant and friendly, better than some I could mention..

Chris Donahue

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2004, 10:55:59 AM »
I played the course a few years ago as part of an extensive Ireland trip and wasn't much of a fan.  The course simply didn't play like a links course - the ground wasn't firm, and several holes (those down by the marsh) could have been anywhere.  Pat Ruddy's self-conscious promotion of the course didn't help either - he has declared it a modern classic a bit prematurely, in my mind.

If planning a trip to Ireland and looking for some complements to the big classics (Portrush, County Down, Ballybunion, Portmarnock), I'd check out County Louth and County Sligo before European Club.

Philip Gawith

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2004, 11:56:22 AM »
i played it only once nearly ten years ago so memory too faded to have detailed recollections. did not make the same impression as some of the more scenic courses. i mentioned on another thread that i played the new sandy hills course at rosapenna on saturday, which ruddy also designed, and that is a wonderful course - more memorable than the european because it has stunning dunes to work with, and he makes good use of them. i reckon it will come to be regarded as better than the european.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2004, 08:09:17 PM »
I echo what Chris said ... I played The European Club on a whirlwind tour of the great Irish courses last year and when you play the likes of Portrush, Ballybunion, Lahinch, etc, etc, the totality of TEC didn't add up to me. Yes, it has its moments, but they are far fewer and far from being compelling and magical when pushed up against the big time layouts there.

A number of the early holes are simply pro forma type stuff. They don't have the verve and excitement and frankly the charm of the others I played. Yes, it's long on length but way short on charm and character IMHO.

The ocean holes are good but where's the magic? I played Old Head the day before and frankly would much rather play there than TEC. The speed of the course could also be reviewed as TEC was not nearly as firm and fast as the others I played.

Given the other course options available I don't see how TEC is rated so highly not only in Ireland but in the world.

GregRamsay

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2004, 06:03:34 AM »
Tommy, i think that where TEC falls down is in its green complexes.  I have played the course three times and i think that as you get to know courses better, it is the greens complexes and their shaping of stragey, that grows on the returning golfer.  At TEC this was not the case for me.  We all know that you can produce a great course on a flat piece of ground if you create great greens and lines into greens.  At the european club they have shown that a wonderful piece of ground with a very good routing can still come undone when the greens are generally bland.  Having said this, i still feel it offers a far more stimulating game than Portmarnock and all the parkland courses about Dublin.

Johnny_Browne

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2004, 10:14:52 AM »
I live in Ireland and have played the European Club twice. It is interesting links golf but falls well short of the top links courses in Ireland.  I class it with Ballyliffen new as good but not great (Ballyliffen has more atmosphere as a place) but at both courses feel a sense of regret - there is a serious shortage of linksland left and both are to my mind missed opportunities of creating something reallly great - I always ask myself what could Coore & Crenshaw or Tom Doak have done with that land.
Johnny B

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2004, 04:45:10 PM »
I look at the Europeon Club as a missed opportunity as well. It is in the good but not great category. Ruddy so over promoted it, one can easily get down on the course more than it actually deserves.

Tommy Williamsen

Re:European Club New
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2004, 09:52:28 PM »
I think you are wrong that the the green complexes are not up to snuff.  They provide plenty of excitement both in shots into and on the greens.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 07:45:17 PM by Tommy Williamsen »
St. John of the Cross

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2004, 06:37:05 AM »
The European Club is an exciting and engaging course — while it lacks the history and allure of age that many Irish courses offer, it stands on its own. I cannot believe the comment about greens being less than creative or interesting...it has virtually everything! In fact, greens are among its hallmark of creativity.

I have not figured out the 18th hole and have always said it will likely be rebuilt in time. But...that is the nature of golf. To build it and never consider a change is boring.
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Jack_Marr

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2004, 08:20:48 AM »
To build it and never consider a change is boring.

I'll second that.
John Marr(inan)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back