News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Norbert P

Adopt-A-Course
« on: August 25, 2004, 07:39:56 PM »
   I recently had the great enlightening pleasure of playing golf, with gentlemen of the highest esteem, at Rustic Canyon, in Moorpark, California.
  I could go on about all "The Great Spirit That Lives In All Things" about the place, but the effervescent Tommy Naccarato has already told us, quite rightfully and appreciably, about all its "Golden Child" status.  

Upon driving home late in the never-darkness of LA, on those six-laned freeways of So-Cal that seem so audacious until you've seen them packed any other time of day, thinking back on the grand day I'd just had, I spied one of those "Adopt-a-highway" signs and began to laugh at the notion of what was taking place back at Rustic Canyon with the folks that I'd met and played with.  

These regulars of the course, proud of it to the core, had deep concerns with the place and how it was changing.   Rustic has gone through a devastating fire and then a massive washout from heavy rains over burnt vegetation.  To these gents, that just seemed to add to the character of the place. They told stories with wide grins of how they played days after the fire had died out, in a wind storm, that they walked off after 18 holes looking like coal miners.  With blackened faces imagined, I could see the kid in them come out.  Is that a pursuit of golf? To be a kid again? I sure hope so.  And if these guys have anything to do with it, Rustic will remain a playground.  

In this year of the U.S. Presidential Campaigns, it's easy to forget that what most effects our world is what happens at the local level, not the detached national level.   The old bumper sticker cliche' "THINK GLOBALLY, ACT LOCALLY" makes a lot of sense and seems to be alive in these blokes.

So, to Andy L., David M, Lynn S. and Tommy N, and to GCA folks all around the world: Jack Marr's love of Carne GL, Adam Clayman at Pinon Hills, Tom Paul's Gulph Mills,  Greg Ramsey's promising Barnbougle,  Dave Wilber's Ballyneal turf dream; of course, Dick Daley's Wild Horse, and in memoriam to Alfie Ward's Arbory Brae, I salute you* all.  And to others not mentioned, you know who you are, because you are here.  Keep up the passion.

(* hat in hand with a dram of The Macallan Cask Strength Lava Scotch)
« Last Edit: August 25, 2004, 08:04:16 PM by Norbert Painter »
"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Bill_McBride

Re:Adopt-A-Course
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2004, 09:24:47 AM »
Slag, how many drams?  Great lyrical writing is usually inspired by at least a few.  

Have you moved to LA?  Have you left Portland?  I'll be there after Labor Day, drop me an IM.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2004, 10:36:22 AM »
Forget the new GCA posting rules, you sir are the one and only, Slag Bandoon.  No one ruminates better... Sir Slag of Bandoondom.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2004, 10:53:54 AM »
Adam Clayman at Pinon Hills

Methinks they divorced.  Irreconciliable differences.

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2004, 02:18:55 PM »
Move down to SoCal Slag. We'll adopt a player! :)

Norbert P

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2004, 02:37:14 PM »
 Tommy, I would love to.  Could I call you Papa?

I brought this up because I was impressed with how y'all supported the ideals of the course and lived with its tribulations.  Not blindly, but actively.  

I think I learned something from that attitude.  I'm constantly in dream mode of faraway places and can sometimes forget what is important in my own back yard.

Knave Slag of Mudville

"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2004, 02:58:51 PM »
Slagbert- Nice sentiment.

Scott- It's hard to see that course day after day, and I actually prefer the infrequency. The under-lying quality of PH's design will likely out-last the temporary custodians who's job is it to keep it running. I golfed there twice last week and had to take few more days off because of it. (tendanitus) Being a public course, makes me a member, whether I pay or not.

Norbert P

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2004, 03:09:58 PM »
Slag, how many drams?  

Bill, only one.  The wifey made the accusation that I wrote that salute merely as an excuse to open up the jug of magma. She just may have me figgered. I better trade her in before it's too late.

Norbert P

Re: Adopt-A-Course
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2009, 05:48:40 PM »
Hallelujah ! The SEARCH really does work.

This is an old thread that didn't really garner much attention but it was mainly a post giving thanks to some friendly blokes anyway.

Since I'm in between spreading mud on the drywall and watching it dry, I just wanted to say that I read in a lot of posts a high level of pride in local golf courses that would probably go unsung if Ran's forum wasn't here. Places like Common Ground, Ballyneal, Kingsley Club, Sharp Park, Husum Hills, Home Club in Tacoma, Oak Knoll, The Old Bandon Links, The Wilderness Club, Indian Canyon, and humility won't stop me from mentioning Wine Valley, Walton Heath, Askernish, Connemara, etc., etc., etc., should all be mentioned more often to the phillistines and the obtuse for the good of the game, the people, and the art of golf design.

veni vidi vici, salute !  

« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 06:45:54 PM by Slag Bandoon »

Bill_McBride

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2009, 05:57:12 PM »
Hallelujah ! The SEARCH really does work.

This is an old thread that didn't really garner much attention but it was mainly a post giving thanks to some friendly blokes anyway.

Since I'm in between spreading mud on the drywall and watching it dry, I just wanted to say that I read in a lot of posts a high level of pride in local golf courses that would probably go unsung if Ran's forum wasn't here. Places like Common Ground, Ballyneal, Kingsley Club, Sharp Park, Husum Hills, Home Club in Tacoma, The Wilderness Club, Indian Canyon, and humility won't stop me from mentioning Wine Valley, Walton Heath, Askernish, Connemara, etc., etc., etc., should all be mentioned more often to the phillistines and the obtuse for the good of the game, the people, and the art of golf design.

veni vidi vici, salute !   

Back in the whisky I see!  Well said Slagster.  It's been a great year seeing Wine Valley completed and open. 

Please keep up the positive thoughts!  ;D

Garland Bayley

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2009, 05:58:01 PM »
Slag,

You've been to Askernish?
 :o
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Norbert P

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2009, 06:13:09 PM »
Slag,

You've been to Askernish?
 :o

Only in my dreams and through pictures and descriptions here and their website.  The courses I mentioned were mostly ones mentioned highly by others from this site, with a few of my own thrown in.  Should I mention Gearhart Links?

I have been to the Yreka Bakery.  (A palindrome.)

George Pazin

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2009, 06:16:10 PM »
It's not for nothing that I think Slag is the most insightful poster on here.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Norbert P

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2009, 06:19:37 PM »

Back in the whisky I see!   

Please keep up the positive thoughts!  ;D

Bill, your home course should be honorably mentioned as well. Resurrected from the debris of a mighty hurricane.  "The skies were angry that day . . .

". . . Show me the way
To the next whiskey bar.
  oh, don't ask why . . ."

Garland Bayley

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2009, 06:22:44 PM »

George, I wish you had the pleasure of meeting Slag. He hits is short, but he hits it crooked.
;)
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Norbert P

Re: Adopt-A-Course New
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2009, 06:41:33 PM »

George, I wish you had the pleasure of meeting Slag. He hits is short, but he hits it crooked.
;)

Garland, when I play golf next I'll still hit 'em short and crooked. You, on the other hand, will play and still be Garland.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2009, 12:28:46 PM by Slag Bandoon »

George Pazin

« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2009, 06:47:27 PM »
;)

Someday my life will return to normal and I will.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Norbert P

« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2009, 06:52:37 PM »
George, in an insane society the sane person is considered insane.  I think you have the normal life and we're the Rohrshach readers.

Norbert P

Re: Adopt-A-Course New
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2009, 08:24:58 PM »
What are some other educational courses that you've glommed onto with heart and soul that foster higher ideals and standards for inspirational golf?

Fernandino Beach GC ?
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 08:29:01 PM by Slag Bandoon »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back