News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

cary lichtenstein

Calling all Southern Californians
« on: August 19, 2004, 09:54:13 PM »
My wife and I are thinking about spending 2 months next summer in Southern California. We have a daughter who lives in LA and July and August in Florida can get a bit steamy.

Can anyone stear us to an upscale timeshare or furnished rental either with or somewhat near excellent golf courses. We would probably go as far south as San Diego.
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Bill_McBride

Re:Calling all Southern Californians
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2004, 10:01:40 PM »
Better to rent something near the beach in Ventura - then you can drive to Rustic Canyon in half an hour and play there every day!

Daryl "Turboe" Boe

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2004, 10:34:58 PM »
Better to rent something near the beach in Ventura - then you can drive to Rustic Canyon in half an hour and play there every day!

That is exactly what we did on our recent family vacation, the only knock on this strategy is that my wife thought it was too cold most of the time up there in Ventura to hang out on the beach which was to be the diversion that kept her busy while I played golf.  

Plus I must have had the worst timing you can imagine the conditions at Rustic Canyon the day I was there were so bad it was hard to get the feel for how that course should probably play normally.  They were punching the greens (all but about 3 were punched) in fact we had one temporary green.  Also all the aprons and chipping areas had just been sliced and soaked with water until they were very soft.  It was unfortunate as I can imagine that if the conditions were firm and fast that there would be some interesting options around those greens.

Probably the most dissapointing thing was the inordinant ammount of unrepaired ball marks on nearly every green.  I was shocked.  In addition to the small punch holes there were literally 20-30 huge ball marks in most of the greens.  Unfortunate.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2004, 10:36:01 PM by Daryl K. Boe »
Instagram: @thequestfor3000

"Time spent playing golf is not deducted from ones lifespan."

"We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

Bill_McBride

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2004, 11:17:11 PM »
If it was chilly in Ventura then it was chilly all the way to San Diego - there's little temperature difference right on the coast.  The warm weather is inland but then there's no beach.  In the summer it can be 2 pm before the fog burns off.  Daryl, sorry to hear Rustic wasn't in good shape when you were there.  During the Kings Putter III there in March, I thought the course was just about perfect -although way too windy on Sunday!   :P

Thomas_Brown

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2004, 01:18:43 AM »
Maybe your wife wants to be neighbors w/ Britney Spears?

http://www.1221oceanavenue.com/residence/corp_housing.asp

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2004, 10:09:29 AM »
Thomas:

Interesting website...sounds pricey but it maybe some place to start a search.

Since the beach is not an issue, maybe there are other short term furnished rentals at reasonable prices. I did enjly both Pelican Hills courses.

Where is Rustic Canyon located?
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Bill_McBride

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2004, 10:24:53 AM »
Rustic Canyon is located southeast of Ventura in the dry canyons near the Reagan Library in Moorpark.  North of Los Angeles 45 min to 2 hrs depending on when you are driving there!

Stan Dodd

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2004, 10:26:02 AM »
Cary,
I grew up in San Clemente (Home of the Western White House in the 70's) there are some time shares there at the Old San Clemente Inn.  It is half way between LA and San Diego.It is easy driving distance to Torrey, Barona and the courses of San Diego.  there is a fun local Muni. The beaches are great and uncrowded.I can give you more info on restaurants and things to do if desired.
Cheers
Stan

Mike_Golden

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2004, 12:05:29 PM »
No offense to those who live there but there is little or nothing of interest in the area near Rustic Canyon to justify spending a couple of months there.  Find a place near the ocean anywhere from Marina Del Rey and south and then figure you're going to have to drive to play golf but at least there will be lots of other stuff to do (except in Orange County, which is a spiritual and cultural wasteland).

Mike Benham

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2004, 12:14:18 PM »
No offense to those who live there but there is little or nothing of interest in the area near Rustic Canyon to justify spending a couple of months there.  Find a place near the ocean anywhere from Marina Del Rey and south and then figure you're going to have to drive to play golf but at least there will be lots of other stuff to do (except in Orange County, which is a spiritual and cultural wasteland).

Yo dude, the surfing is much better in OC, with San Onofre, Trestles ...
"... and I liked the guy ..."

rjsimper

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2004, 12:34:20 PM »
Do you want city living or suburbia-

1221 Ocean is VERY nice - I have a friend who lives there, its like living at a 5 star hotel, but it is right in the middle of Santa Monica - thus, city life, and no public golf super-nearby to write home about.

If you are coming in the Summer, you DEFINITELY want to stay near the beach - inland is too dang hot...

In Santa Barbara, you could find something nice and play La Purisima all the time....

In LA, Santa Monica is nice, as is the Hermosa/Manhattan Beach area, but again, aside from Los Verdes or Rancho Park, not much public golf close to either of these (I should know, I grew up in Redondo Beach/Palos Verdes and now live in Santa Monica)

Orange county?  Go as far south as you can - Laguna Beach, Dana Point...

Or you could go to La Jolla and play Torrey Pines and some of the SD courses....

Just stay Coastal unless you want to bake and breathe dirty air :D

DMoriarty

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2004, 04:38:03 PM »
Cary

I've been considering something similar for my parents so I may have some ideas.  Living in Southern California even for a few months can get pretty complicated, so it will be pretty hard to point you in the right direction without some more information.

A few questions you might ask yourself:

1.  How important is being on the ocean?   If it is true that the beach is not a factor, then i'd stear clear of it.  Many of the beach areas with rentals are either very conjested or somewhat isolated and inconvenient.   Plus you will save quite a bit of money.  

2.  How do you like traffic? / How important is it to you to see your daughter?   Map distances are pretty irrelevant in So California; it is all about the traffic.   San Diego may look close on a map but the traffic can take years off your life.  

3.  What do you want to do besides golf?   My theory in los angeles is that it is a good idea to be in the immediate area of what you are interested in and need.   In other words, stay off the freeways.   Golf is the exception.  Most of the decent public golf is outlying.   So find a place you want to be regardless of golfing, then hope your golf commute is against traffic.

The three most likely places I'd put my parents:  West Los Angeles, Pasadena (hot in the summer but a beautiful, culturally interesting city), Santa Barbara (a drive but a terrific place.)

Mike_Golden

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2004, 06:54:04 PM »
Yo dude, the surfing is much better in OC, with San Onofre, Trestles ...

Mike,

Where I grew up the only surfing we were ever prepared for was TV or the web ;)

HamiltonBHearst

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2004, 07:06:43 PM »

Orange County a spiritual and cultural wasteland?  Compared to what?  Other parts SoCal?  Very very funny. And you do not like Ventura County either.  

Please explain to me the spirituality and culture in other parts of the area?  I just love Beverly Hills :-\

Mike Benham

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2004, 07:34:39 PM »
I just love Beverly Hills :-\

Hamilton - please amend your post, you really mean the "Beverly Hillbillies" ...

Careful with the link below, it plays the theme song -
http://www.pcperspectives.com/hillbillies/

"... and I liked the guy ..."

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2004, 07:39:33 PM »
I hate traffic. I hated it in Chicago. By the time I got to the golf course, my back had tightened up. I sat in traffic for years, so.

The beach is not important to us, but would want to avoid the heat and dirty air..

Being reasonably close to our daughter would be great, but too close, you know the drill, famialiarity breads contempt.

Bette likes to shop, we both like golf and movies and Cheesecake Factory.

We like to play early and fast.

DMoriarty

« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2004, 07:46:41 PM »
Interesting perspective Mr. Hearst . . . Hmmm . . . lets see . . . their is Orange County, Ventura County, and Beverly Hills.  Throw in all those flaming liberals in Hollywood and you've covered it.  

For culture, I'll take take points West or East of Downtown Los Angeles well over both the counties you mention.  For that matter I'd even take downtown.  

When it comes to Culture, Los Angeles certainly isn't Paris, Vienna, or NYC, but it isnt all Beverly Hills either.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2004, 07:47:11 PM by DMoriarty »

DMoriarty

« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2004, 07:50:02 PM »
Perhaps a hint with your daughters approximate location?  Send it in a private message if you like.

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2004, 10:32:46 PM »
Daughter lives in LA about 4 blocks from Beverly Hills :)

David Kelly

« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2004, 10:36:02 PM »
Bette likes to shop, we both like golf and movies and Cheesecake Factory.

Then Pasadena is your answer. We have all four.  Great shopping, dozens of movies screens showing everything from revivals, to independants, to the latest Hollywood dreck,  a Cheesecake Factory, and Brookside GC a great Billy Bell 36-hole complex in the shadow of the Rose Bowl.
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

DMoriarty

« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2004, 01:25:36 AM »
As D. Kelly says Pasadena would work, as would the westside (Brentwood/ Westwood/ west Los Angeles neighborhoods/ Santa Monica.)  Pasadena would be warmer/ more smoggy but you'd likely drive further to golf from the westside.

It is sometimes difficult to find short term furnished/ vacation rentals away from the ocean, but it can be done.  Sometime next week I'll send you a few websites/ info.)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back