News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

CHrisB

Report from Royal Liverpool
« on: August 17, 2004, 07:12:21 PM »
Royal Liverpool is returning to the British Open rota in 2006. After playing a tournament there last week I came away quite impressed with the course and can't wait to see how it plays in '06, especially if the course plays firm, fast, and windy.

The course was actually quite green as the area has received quite a bit of rain over the last month or so. Still it is a true links, and all it took was a half day of sun and wind to dry it out and get it running.

Visually, the course fails to inspire at first glance as the holes near the clubhouse lie on flat terrain, the remains of the old racetrack there. Holes 7-13 run among small dunes near the shore and give the course a different (and better) look.

The history of the course and club is rich. 2 of the 3 amateurs to win a British Open were members there (John Ball and Harold Hilton--Bobby Jones was the 3rd), the first international match between England and the U.S. was there, etc. The clubhouse is a mini-museum, with artifacts and portraits from through the years.

What I liked:
1. The bunkering--the fairway bunkering reminded me a little of Muirfield, where the player has to challenge them, because laying back short of them will leave uncomfortably long approaches. On flat terrain, good bunkering can still make for an excellent hole.
2. The greens--although greens like #1 and #5 are dead-flat, the greens as a set are interesting and varied, and also larger than average for a links course. The new greens at #3, #17 and #18 are all very interesting, with all sorts of good pin positions and contours.
3. The stretch from #9-12--a short par 4 to a punchbowl green, a long par 3 to a green set against a large dune, and two long dogleg-left par 4's to greens set up in the dunes with steep dropoffs to the right. They all go in the same direction, and the 10th and 12th may be too similar for some, but it is an inspiring stretch of holes nonetheless.
4. The par 3's--the 4th and 11th greens have great duneside greens; the 13th is a good short well-bunkered par 3, and the 7th is a very small target and reportedly much improved from the old 7th, which was hard against an OB cop.
5. The 18th hole--I think it might be the best finishing hole in the rota; the bunkering is that good. The only weaknesses it might have are (i) it is not overly long at 435 yards, and (ii) with the very tough back-left pins, a player could decide to hit it way right in the rough, take the chances with the lie, and get an angle into the pin. With the grandstands they put in, this may not be an option after all.

What I didn't like:
1. Almost all of the longest par 4's (10, 12, 15, 17) ran in the same direction, so that they either all played short downwind, or all played very long into the wind.
2. The 7th green--of all of the greens that were redone, this was the only one with a "modern" look, with neat clean dropoffs left and right that look like what you would find on a more modern green.

What I wasn't sure about:
1. The "cops" which served as OB on holes 1 and 18; they are certainly unique, and really make those 2 holes what they are, but I'm not sure I like the idea of internal OB. It is amazing what the OB hard against the green on #1 does for that approach; it takes a dead-flat, bunkerless hole and gives it very sharp teeth.
2. The semi-blind tee shot at the 6th. A pulled shot must carry 230 yards to get to the fairway, and the hole was a little awkward. Then again, I bogeyed it all 3 rounds, so I probably can't be objective about it!

Favorite holes: the par-3 4th and 11th, the long par-4 5th, the 9th with a perfectly located fairway ridge, the aforementioned 10th and 12th, and the 17th and 18th, where the bunkering makes each hole.
Least favorite holes: the 1st (I was more than a little worried about the greenside OB), the semi-blind-OB 6th, the 16th (the other OB cop hole). I still enjoyed these holes, just not nearly as much as the others.

For those who have played it, how will Royal Liverpool do as an Open venue? How does it stack up against the others in the rota, and does it deserve its place there? Or is it just a place to study great history instead of great architecture?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2004, 07:13:11 PM by Chris Brauner »

Mark_Rowlinson

Re:Report from Royal Liverpool
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2004, 05:07:50 AM »
Chris,  Thanks for a most informative write-up.  The general concensus of opinion over here seems to be that it makes a welcome return and will challenge the stars as well as any of the other Open venues.  It's not as eye-catching as some Open venues but by the time the stands, TV towers, portable lavatories, burger huts etc are in view nowhere looks particularly handsome during Open week.  I last played the course while the most recent alterations were being made.  It was during a particularly wet autumn and on the day in question Royal Liverpool was, I believe, the only course open for play in the north-west, which says something about its drainage.

CHrisB

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2004, 10:08:34 AM »
Some images from their website (www.royal-liverpool-golf.com)

« Last Edit: August 18, 2004, 10:09:02 AM by Chris Brauner »

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2004, 12:37:42 PM »
In the aerial photo note the holes on the right of the main road.  They're on Hoylake Municipal course, a James Braid links, which I believe will be linked to Royal Liverpool by a footbridge and used as the practice ground or tented village or something.  

I've only played it once, back in the 1980s, but I remember it with some affection.  It's a very flat site, there are some ditches, and the bunkering is sparing but telling - small, sodded pot bunkers.  I don't know the current green fee, but I doubt it is any more than £15.

Allen_Rebstock

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2004, 05:27:48 PM »
Chris, I played Hoylake June, 03 and absolutely loved it.  I think it will hold up well against the best players in the world.  It will be interesting to see how the pros feel about the O.B. right of 1 and 16. It is certainly what makes up the strategy for those holes. I also enjoyed the par 5 8th which almost cost Bobby Jones the 1930 British Open.  The bunkering was redone by Donald Steel in 2002 and I though he did a wonderful job.  Your comparision to the bunkers at Muirfield is right on. I had the same impression.  The clubhouse, like you stated was very interesting.  A virtual museum to the game with the original painting of Bobby Jones that we've all seen so many times plus paintings of Hilton, Ball and Jack Graham, Hoylake's own.

Keith Durrant

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2004, 07:58:43 AM »
Chris,

With regard to the design of the 1st, "Course", and 16th around the OOB, I believe this is derived from the old race-course routing in the 19th century. Perhaps there was even a fence there once? It seems less artificial as an internal OOB if one imagines a race-course there.

Regarding the 4 long par 4s running in the same direction, isnt this counteracted by the 2 par 5s on the back nine running in the opposite direction? As Frank Pennink noted: "...a quint of fives is a frequent but far from degrading end to the round".

What did you think of the 18th - at well under 400 yards does it present a "weak/dull finish"?

Keith

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2004, 08:15:28 AM »
On the 1st drive out of bounds is a threat on left and right, which makes it a nerve-wracking 19th hole in a match is tied coming off the 18th.

Tom

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2004, 09:48:00 AM »
Royal Liverpool is the Open Championship rota course which I know best, in the main because my parents used to live about 20 miles away up until about 6 months ago.

I think it is a marvellous addition to the rota, quirky, testing but always giving the golfer a chance to make a score.  I believe it fully merits its place on the rota but I don't believe it is one of the more difficult.  One of the things I love about Royal Liverpool is that the par 5s offer very good birdie chances.  For that reason, I suspect the old course record, which I think is 64 by Graham Marsh in the 1981 European Open will be under threat during Open week.  My gut feeling is a winning score of between 10 and 14 under but I am notoriously bad at judging these things.

I wonder whether the internal OOB will perplex our American cousins?  One would think so but then they always seem to acclimatise well to St Andrews and all its quirkiness.

In terms of the changes instigated by Donald Steel, I have mixed emotions.

The new green at #3 significantly lengthens the whole and is very undulating with a number of tricky little shelves which the pro's will struggle to get at pins situated there.  My only concern is that it seems a little modern in design and out of place compared to the older greens.

The new tee at number 12 (Hilbre) is superb.  Cut into a steep sandhill approximately 60 yards behind the previous tee it gives a brilliant view of the hole and the links.

I never played the old green at #17 but the new one is nicely constructed, seemingly in keeping with the rest of the course and well bunkered.

My greatest concern is the new green at #18 which does seem very out of place.  Again it is very undulating with a number of shelves but it did seem significantly different to the older greens when I played it last.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back