News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brad Swanson

last round at Wild Horse
« on: August 19, 2004, 09:38:33 PM »
   Sometime last year, I recall Jonathan Cummings or Tom Doak or someone mentioning how the members at Cypress Point  sometimes bring their canine companions out with them to play a whiskey loop in the late evening.  Now playing Cypress alone is a dream for all of us, but being able to play CPC with my dog would be an unforgettable experience for me.  Actually, just being able to bring my yellow lab Charlotte with me to play a round of golf anywhere is something I’ve always wanted to do.  
   Well, this dream came true last week.  My wife, dog, and I recently completed our trans-midwest trip from Denver to Columbus, OH to relocate here in Ohio, and I was fortunate enough to make a stop at Gothenburg to play Wild Horse with my wife and dog as my gallery.  I can’t say enough about the Wild Horse golfing experience.  We arrived in the parking lot at 7:30 with the first tee time of the day at 8:00 all ours.  There was only one other car in the parking lot, belonging to the nice young lady who took my fee.  The course was as soft as I’d played it, which was still very firm.  The area has been getting quite a bit of rain (the Platte River was up to its banks as you came into town from I80).  The greens and their fescue surrounds were in phenomenal shape.  I’m really going to miss my annual pilgrimage to this course.
   There have been a lot of comparing and contrasting the golf courses at Wild Horse and Rustic Canyon.  I have yet to play Rustic, and I’m sure the course is worthy of the high praise that it receives here, but to me there is something about the Wild Horse experience that is simply magical, matchable in my experiences only by its big brother, but unique unto itself, probably due to my small town Iowa upbringing.  After every visit to Wild Horse, during my mental recap of the round I always picture myself putting on the wild 11th green late in the evening and from out of the straw walks Bobby Jones with a quizzical look on his face.

<que “Field of Dreams” score>

Jones:  Is this heaven?

Me:  Its Nebraska.

1st tee, with the course to ourselves.

Cheers,
Brad Swanson

« Last Edit: August 19, 2004, 11:24:30 PM by Brad Swanson »

Jason Hines

Re:last round at Wild Horse
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2004, 09:48:54 PM »
Brad,

I am sure it won't be your last round there, you are welcome at my place anytime.  Let us know when you are rolling through again.

Jason

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2004, 10:37:48 PM »
Very nice post Brad. Makes me want more WH's in this world.

Sean Remington (SBR)

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2004, 06:40:44 AM »
Brad, Thanks for sharing :)

George Pazin

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2004, 11:08:50 AM »
I'll echo the others' thoughts: thanks for sharing. No other golfers at 8:00 a.m.? Never happen at a public course in the Burgh....

Welcome to the near midwest. :) I look forward to meeting your wife sometime in the not too distant future.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

John Foley

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2004, 01:17:14 PM »
Brad,

Thanx for the photo's!! Always loved my vist to Wildhorse and can't wait to get back some day.

Integrity in the moment of choice

Doug Wright

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2004, 03:19:14 PM »
Brad,

I certainly hope it's not your last round at Wild Horse.
Denver's loss is the Buckeye State's gain.
We'll miss you and hope we'll see you at a GCA
outing sometime soon.

All The Best,
« Last Edit: August 20, 2004, 03:19:41 PM by Doug Wright »
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Pete Buczkowski

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2004, 05:24:37 PM »
Brad,

Thanks for the story.  It reminded me of the last of my 200-some rounds at UNC Finley.  First group off with nobody behind us due to maintenance, perfect blue sky, and my Dad as the only playing companion.  Those experiences are what golf (and life) are all about.

Tony_Chapman

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2004, 05:58:40 PM »
As the fight song says, "There is no place like Nebraska."

Thanks for a great story Brad!!

Gene Greco

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2004, 08:51:52 AM »
Brad:

I always get a little misty eyed when I leave that area of the country as well.

The place haunts you.

The opportunity to return will present itself again in the future - and you will.
"...I don't believe it is impossible to build a modern course as good as Pine Valley.  To me, Sand Hills is just as good as Pine Valley..."    TOM DOAK  November 6th, 2010

RJ_Daley

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2004, 11:34:25 AM »
Hey Brad, it looks as though your doggy gets as excited by the 5th hole as I do, but I can't point my tail quite that high! ;D

It helps to have a super (Josh) and pro and assistant (Robert) who are avid bird hunters and love the doggies too.

It is great to hear you had a unique family experience there with the course to yourselves.  I see the inevitable dominance of the houses in the skyline views are becoming more prevalant, but at least the course won't change.

Looking forward to Cuscowilla...
« Last Edit: August 21, 2004, 11:36:58 AM by RJ_Daley »
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Mike_Sweeney

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2004, 09:16:54 PM »
Brad,

I stretched the limits with my wife tonight, and showed her the pictures of your wife (I believe a Colgate grad like my wife) in Nebraska. Let's just say that Nebraska will continue to be a "Guy's Trip" for the forseeable future !

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back