News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark_Fine

Famous Hazards!
« on: July 12, 2004, 05:50:58 PM »
First of all, a word of thanks to many of you who have already helped with the book that Forrest Richardson and I are working on covering Golf Course Hazards.  Ran for example, was kind enough to send us two large boxes full of photographs from courses all over the world!  It is taking me days to go through them but they are invaluable to our collection of images.  

One of the areas we are trying to get more data on is “famous” hazards.  Here are a few that we are spending some extra time on:

Augusta National - Rae’s Creek
Cypress Point - #16 Ocean
Oakmont’s - Church Pews
Pine Valley - Hell’s Half Acre and Devil’s Asshole
Pebble Beach – Cliff on #8 an Ocean on #18
Mid Ocean – Mangrove Lake on #5
Lahinch – Sand Mound on #5, The Dell
Myopia Hunt – Chocolate Drops
North Berwick – Bunker fronting #15 Redan
Prestwick – Cardinal bunker
Riviera – Bunker in green on #6
Royal St. George’s - #4 Fairway bunker
St. Andrews – Hell bunker, Principal’s Nose and Road Hole bunker
St. Enedoc - #6 Himalaya bunker
St. George’s Hill – Largest bunker fronting #8
TPC @ Sawgrass – Lake surrounding #17 island green

If anyone can lend any support on images, topo data, hazard dimensions, old aerials or drawings, …for any of these, that would be great.  Email me offline if you prefer.  

Thanks again for any support you can provide or have already provided!
Mark

Bill_McBride

Re:Famous Hazards!
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2004, 06:10:01 PM »
Mark, sending you Hell and Road Bunkers from my May trip, also a couple of North Berwick photos and a bonus from Painswick, the mighty 6th!  Good luck with your project.

Mark_Fine

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2004, 06:18:55 PM »
Thanks Bill!  I will look forward to receiving them.  

SPDB

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2004, 06:22:08 PM »
Mark -
I would think, and hope that you would want to include the Quarry on Merion #16 among your list.

I think another one might one that I've found to be interesting - the volcano bunker that sits atop a small hillock to the side of the 16th at Hollywood. There might be a pic of it in Ran's course review.

Mike_Sweeney

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2004, 06:30:05 PM »
Mark,

I got this error message:

Please note, Mark Fine's email address has been changed to mkfine@epichemnet.com.  Please make this correction in your address book.  

Thank you

Let me know if you did not get my emails.

Mark_Fine

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2004, 06:33:05 PM »
The 16th at Merion is a good one and a picture will be included.  We might even show an early one and a current one as the change is quite amazing.  I hope to get those images from the club.  

Ian Andrew sent me some wild Travis bunkering photos that we will probably include.  

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2004, 06:33:32 PM »
I do have some of the images from the monterey peninsula. However, I can't imagine they would be what you're looking for. If you get desperate enough, I'll be happy to pass them along.

If I may make a suggestion too. I have a friend who lives there and is an award winning photog. He may be wiling to do the exact shots you want, and he may even do it just for publication credit.

Once agin, if you need specific help, contact me and I'll try to hook it up.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2004, 06:34:39 PM by Adam Clayman »

Mark_Fine

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2004, 06:36:27 PM »
Mike,
I did not get your emails unless you sent them to that new epichem address - mkfine@epichemnet.com or mkfine@rcn.com  Either one works.

If you could resend, that would be great!
Thanks,
Mark

Mark_Fine

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2004, 06:39:45 PM »
Thanks Adam!  I was just out at Monterey and got permisson from Pebble Beach to take photos, however, I am not a professional photographer for sure.  My shots came out pretty good but if you want to put your friend in contact with me, that would be great!  

Bill_McBride

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2004, 07:05:36 PM »
Mark, did you get my photos?  I got bad mail messages back from everything I sent to finemk@epichemnet.com but nothing back on finemk@epichem.com

Let me know.  I also sent to Paul Turner asking him to post at his convenience as I have still never learned how to do so myself.

Regards,
Bill McBride

Mark_Fine

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2004, 07:09:21 PM »
Bill,
Try one of the addresses I posted for Mike (he just sent me an image and it came through ok).  Try mkfine@rcn.com

Mark

Mark_Fine

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2004, 08:57:47 PM »
I'm getting some good photos from several of you guys.  Thanks!

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2004, 10:49:53 PM »
Another photo on the way!
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

Mike Hendren

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2004, 11:15:08 PM »
Mark et al,

How about the Cape bunker at Royal North Devon's 4th hole?

The Barry Burn at Carnoustie's 17th & 18th?

Ike's Tree at Augusta National Golf Club?

The road (Granny Clark's Wynd?) on the last at The Old Course, from which relief will cost you a stroke?

The railway right of the 11th at Royal Troon?

Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Robert Mercer Deruntz

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2004, 11:31:02 PM »
Though not famous , maybe worthy of being famous---         Creek   10,11, 13,14                                                     Rockaway Hunt    7,8,9                                                    There was a Assistant Pro tournament at RHC today that got flooded out after 12 holes (shotgun start)  I have played there many times and continue to find new looks to the layout.  Theclub has been rebuilding bunkers to very good effect.  Some might hate the new driving range grading, but Ican live with the high mounds since they have been restoring the greens to original size.  Next year 7 will be one of the coolest greens in Met NY--it is going to be about 43 yds and very close to the seawall(not original, but necessary because of the erosion that happened over the years). Due to the steady rainfall, the camera was kept in the trunk--Sorry!

Doug Siebert

« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2004, 11:52:39 PM »
Granny Clark's Wynd isn't really a hazard, as I can't think of any reason you'd need relief from it if you happened to end up on it.  I'd put the Road behind 17 in first, though it probably costs you .1 strokes where the Road Bunker costs anywhere from 10 to 100 times that much :)

While it isn't that famous yet, I don't know if I've ever seen a more intimidating tee shot than Old Head's 12th, where you not only have to carry a 200+ ft deep chasm over the ocean, the fairway is above you making it a blind shot as well!  If you need pictures of that, I took several, hoping one to get the one non-blurry one since as it turns out my tiny little Sony DSC-T1 isn't a great camera to use in Western Ireland's wind!
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Chris Perry

« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2004, 02:43:23 AM »
Gotta put another plug in for Hopeful Canyon @ Greywolf. ;D

Donnie Beck

« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2004, 06:24:07 AM »
Did it ever occur to you that maybe some of these clubs do not want their pictures published.

Jfaspen

« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2004, 07:10:36 AM »
Did it ever occur to you that maybe some of these clubs do not want their pictures published.

Most of the places listed seem rather open about cameras (as i can recall most of those hazards).  
It is not like they are publishing SFGC photos or anything.

Jeff

TEPaul

« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2004, 07:29:37 AM »
"Mark -
I would think, and hope that you would want to include the Quarry on Merion #16 among your list."

Mark:

I can tell you something about the quarry hole (Merion's #16) that although it might not relate directly to the quarry as a hazard does relate to the hole coming into being.

Initially those designing Merion East (Hugh Wilson and his committee) had identified the quarry as an ideal hazard and the green site placement but the club did not have the necessary land configuration to make #16 and #15 work properly distance-wise for acceptable holes.

Richard Francis, a member of the design committee, was studying that area on the map and measuring it and suddenly near midnight he was hit by the idea that the club could swap land it owned across Golf House Rd (where houses now are) for a stretch of land 130 yards wide and 190 yards long on the present course side of Golf House Rd! He got on his bicycle in the middle of the night and went to see Horatio Gates Lloyd to get his permission for the land swap.

Lloyd agreed and within a day or two the quarryman had blasted off the top of the hill where the 16th green now sits and the famous quarry hole and it's unique fronting hazard came into being (as well as the green-end on #15).

Mark_Fine

« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2004, 08:26:57 AM »
Thanks guys.  I appreciate all the images you have been sending.  If you think you have a picture of an interesting (or unique hazard) even if it is not famous, please send it on.  

The ideas on other hazards are also excellent.  Most of those we will cover in one of the sections.  Jean van de Velde for example, will contribute some thougths to our book so I have a feeling the Barry Burn will be talked about  ;)

Thanks Tom about your input on #16 at Merion.  That kind of history is very interesting.  

ian

« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2004, 08:48:22 AM »
Donnie,

I've never been quite sure what a club has to gain by not allowing the publishing of photos of their course. I always assumed a book would be required to get a release for the photos from the professional photographer (since they had permission from the club and they own the rights to the image) OR the club if the images were not taken with permission to publish.

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2004, 09:03:38 AM »
Here's one of my favorites. It isn't as well known as many hazards, because the hole was put back on page 16, when the new nine was built.

The Original 15th @ Blackwolf Run.

Mercy

Mark_Fine

« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2004, 03:31:40 PM »
Cool photo Adam.  

Ian,
Most all clubs are very receptive to the idea of using photos of their golf holes in a book.  Many just want to make sure the shots are representative of what is there and do the hole justice.  However, getting written permission does take time.

Thanks again to everyone sending me photos.  They just keep coming!
Mark

Marc Haring

« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2004, 04:38:39 PM »
I would think this would have to go in.

Also, I don’t know, but isn’t that bunker in front of #8 at St Georges Hill a bit innocuous these days?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back