News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark_Fine

Re:Famous Hazards!
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2004, 05:37:48 PM »
Marc,
Great photo!  What date was it taken?  

The bunker in front of #8 at St. George's Hill has definitely reduced in size and has lost much of it's flashed sand in the face (they got tired of pushing it back up from washouts).  However, I am told by the club, their intention is to restore the bunker to its original grandeur.   We have some old photos of that bunker and it is impressive.  It's a great example of how courses/design features evolve (sometimes for the better, sometimes for the worse).  This bunker, once restored, is one of the most amazing out there.  It was down right massive and terrifying to look at.  
Mark
« Last Edit: July 13, 2004, 05:38:37 PM by Mark_Fine »

Doug Wright

« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2004, 08:29:10 PM »
Mark,

Are you using the Devil's Cauldron at Banff? It's certainly unique and highly photogenic! Here's a story about it I read...

"At the Banff Springs Golf Course, the almost certainly apocryphal story is told of the birth of one of the most celebrated holes in all of golf, the par-three Devil's Cauldron, which legendary architect Stanley Thompson set in the shadow of Mount Rundle beside an impossibly picturesque glacial lake.

Mr. Thompson, so it is said, was walking the future site of the course one day in the 1920s when a rockslide came crashing down from the cliffs above. After the dust cleared, the shaken architect saw that the slide had transformed the small valley into a natural amphitheatre of breathtaking beauty. Recognizing the divine hand of a design talent even greater than his own, he immediately decided to build a golf hole on the spot. Golfers have journeyed to the Banff Springs course to try their luck at the Devil's Cauldron ever since."

Best,

« Last Edit: July 13, 2004, 08:29:46 PM by Doug Wright »
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Mark_Fine

« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2004, 09:02:24 PM »
Doug,
Ian has sent me some great Thompson photos.  I'll have to look through them to see if that one is included.  Sounds like it should be in our book.  Can you email where you read the story so if we use it, we can reference the author?  
Thanks,
Mark

Marc Haring

« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2004, 01:47:38 AM »
Mark:

The photo was taken last Friday evening. I was caddying in the pre qualifying of the British Open and went up there to take a look. I took a pic of the Cardinal but by that time things were getting very gloomy.

Good news on St Georges Hill. Funny, I got an interveiw a couple of years back for the course managers job. I went down the whole Colt road and the restoration thing in the discussion with them hoping that would sway things but it turned out they went with someone else, which is fine. Would of loved to of got my teeth into that bunker though.

Marc.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back