News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Craig Disher

Blind Approaches
« on: July 13, 2004, 09:14:22 AM »
The thread on Ross and blindness led me to wonder about the acceptability of blind holes - especially for significant amateur or professional competitions. Does their existence work against a course being used for an event?

Littlestone's (final Open qualifying venue in 2003, host for British Ladies' Amateur in 2005) par 4 #2 (I'll post a picture if I can find it) originally had a totally blind approach. The green was set in a valley about 30 yards behind a high dune that extends across the fairway and required a completely blind approach. According to the club history, MacKenzie suggested in the 1920s that a cut be made through the dune; the cut was made 50 years later . It's very symmetric - dead center of the line of play with 45-degree slopes on either side. Even with the cut the putting surface is still hidden but at least the top half of the flagstick can be seen if the approach is made from the appropriate side of the fairway.  

What would you expect the reaction of the R&A - or the players at the Open qualifying - would have been if dune had not been opened?

Craig Disher

Re:Blind Approaches
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2004, 10:05:24 AM »
The center of the green is about 200 yards away from here, tee to green the hole is about 410. The low berm across the fairway is the far side of an old drainage canal that's about 130 yards from the green. The dune is 70 yards farther along.

« Last Edit: July 13, 2004, 10:06:28 AM by Craig Disher »

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2004, 10:51:27 AM »
A nice white rock placed on top of the dune would have been a much more sporting (and cheaper) solution!
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

John_Cullum

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2004, 01:07:54 PM »
Is Prestwick ever used for R&A or PGA events?
"We finally beat Medicare. "

Brian_Gracely

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2004, 01:17:54 PM »
Is Prestwick ever used for R&A or PGA events?

Prestwick did host the British Amateur a few years ago (2001?) and I believe some Ladies Scottish events have been played there recently.  No Euro PGA events.

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2004, 03:41:55 PM »
Just like the old addage "it's only blind once" I don't see why we could not use holes like these...they seem fun, quirky and challenging.

But that's just me...
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back