News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

kenboyer

Re:P.B. Dye
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2004, 10:23:34 PM »
Bill, you asked me why I joined a golf course that I now hate and why I stay.

The answer is that it was very cheap to join and I continue to get excellent tee times because there is such turnover that the club has trouble keeping members (who are now allowed to join on a temporary "try it you'll like it" basis).

So I put up with 100 foot high trees in a greenside bunker that fronts the hole (therefore requiring you to hit either a 180-yard draw or fade on a par three), greens that in some places are literally four steps wide, and railroad ties that are liberally used and can repel your ball into the water after you have hit a "nearly perfect" tee shot that has "almost" carried 200-225 yards over water.

P.S. our club champion averaged 84 to win the club championship last year, perhaps an indication that the course is a tad difficult and/or tricked up to the point of being almost unplayable.

Carlyle Rood

« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2004, 11:03:50 PM »
I've only played one P.B. Dye course, Atlanta National, during U.S. Mid-Amateur qualifying.  Let's just say that it didn't make a favorable impression on me.

The two others in my threesome were club members there (or at least one of them was).  Incidentally, BOTH qualified for the Mid-Am that afternoon--each in a playoff.

There was a par 4 (the 16th?) that may have been entirely blind!  I say "may have been" because I wasn't playing particularly well and may have selected the wrong line of play.  ;D

I recall thinking afterwards: "Boy, I guess I should have played a practice round here before trying to qualify...or maybe not."

They have an excellent head golf professional there, however: Clark Spratlin.  

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2004, 11:21:57 PM »
How many Pete Dye courses are actually PB Dye?  There is a course on Oahu that I believe is actually PB??

I did play Royal Links in Las Vegas which is a PB Dye course and I actually liked it.  He did a really good job building famous holes from Scotland and Britian except for the wall for the 17th hole at the Old Course.

Craig Van Egmond

« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2004, 11:55:18 PM »

Joel,

I'm pretty sure that Royal Links is a Perry Dye course. I actually enjoyed the course although it was way overpriced.

My only experience with a PB Dye course is Crimson Creek in El Reno, Oklahoma. A fairly cramped front nine, followed by a wide open back nine. The course really picks up nicely at the 8th hole. A good course for about $20.  The 7th hole is a short par 4, with a huge mound blocking the green that requires a blind second shot, a fairly funky hole really.

pdrake

« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2004, 07:45:58 PM »
Atlanta National was recently sold to the company that owns White Columns (one of Tom Doak's favorites!)  And Clark S is getting canned from ANGC..........maybe he will land back at ACC (NOT!)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back