News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Lynn_Shackelford

Who said this?
« on: May 01, 2004, 07:00:07 PM »
Some interesting comments from one of today's prominent designers.
"I just don't like to see all those confining elements.  In some ways, we've lost the game of golf and created an obstacle course.
"I say that if you want it the same every time, go join the military.  If we can't keep that marvelous flexibility of getting from point A to point B, we're lost.  The more options you can give a player, the better the golf course.  It's about getting to that green and having some fun doing it."
If you haven't read GolfWeek, I will give the answer later.
It must be kept in mind that the elusive charm of the game suffers as soon as any successful method of standardization is allowed to creep in.  A golf course should never pretend to be, nor is intended to be, an infallible tribunal.
               Tom Simpson

A_Clay_Man

Re:Who said this?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2004, 07:48:42 PM »
Lynn- I didn't read GW, yet. So, I'll guess Forrest Richardson.

Lynn_Shackelford

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2004, 01:46:22 PM »
Ed Seay

I like some of his courses.  I am not sure his designs and that of his associates back up those comments.
It must be kept in mind that the elusive charm of the game suffers as soon as any successful method of standardization is allowed to creep in.  A golf course should never pretend to be, nor is intended to be, an infallible tribunal.
               Tom Simpson

ed_getka

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2004, 05:17:05 PM »
Lynn,
  He talks a good game, but it doesn't sound like he walks the walk, from the feedback I see here.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2004, 06:02:14 PM »
Lynn, If you saw Moutain View CC of La Quinta, you would be laughing at that statement.

It is a mass-movement of containment. But hey! He is working with the King.

Billsteele

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2004, 07:14:10 PM »
Lynn-My reaction was much the same. I have played several courses done under the Palmer/Seay banner. I remember many forced carries and a lot of water in play. How these elements (utilized to the extent they were) can be characterized as anything beyond an obstacle course is beyond my logical ability.

Lynn_Shackelford

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2004, 07:20:14 PM »
I am not defending Ed Seay.  I just think he and his assoicates attempt in places to provide an open course and some options.  I like Whitewater in Georgia.
Tommy, I have not only seen, but played Mountain View in La Quinta.  Yes, they moved a lot of sand, made for some good home lots; the two million dollar 18th is a joke, buy overall a decent course.
               Tom Simpson

ian

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2004, 09:11:27 PM »
I still love the quote, and I really enjoyed the earliest of Palmer/Seay's work for its playability. Any chance the western work was done by one of the other associates in Palmer's firm?

Sadly Ed Seay's health is very poor.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back