News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Don_Mahaffey

New Projects in Central Oregon
« on: April 29, 2004, 11:04:01 PM »
Two new golf projects were in the news here in The Bend area today.
The first is a high end resort to be developed just west of Broken Top Golf Club. The developers promise to build something "of higher quality then exists in Bend proper". There's some pretty good golf in the Bend area so I guess it will be something very special. The developer said he is close to signing a contract with a course designer.

The second is a destination resort to be built about 30 miles east of Bend in the Powell Butte area. The resort is being developed by the company that developed Eagle Crest in Redmond, a fast growing town just North of Bend.

Anyone know anything about either of these projects that they can share publically? With the addition of Jack's and Fazio's courses at ultra exclusive Pronghorn, it sure does seem that Central Oregon is a hot spot for golf development.

Matt_Ward

Re:New Projects in Central Oregon
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2004, 09:37:10 AM »
Don:

Thanks for the update -- I have a good college friend who lives quite close to Three Sisters and you're sooooooo right about what's happening there on the golf front.

Arguably, I can't name a place in the USA for better ideal summer weather -- just warm with little humidity.

Steve_Roths

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2004, 09:45:54 AM »
Don,

You mentioned that Pronghorn is super exclusive.  Isn't the Nicklaus course going to be open to the public?  I thought that was the case.  

Larry_Rodgers

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2004, 10:13:19 AM »
I was in Houston recently and was told Jim Hardy and Peter Jacobsen were starting drawings for a project in central Oregon with a developer who has built other golf in the area.

peter_p

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2004, 02:58:48 PM »
Nicklaus' Pronghorn course is suppose to open the entire course June 1st. An abbreviated course has been available for play.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2004, 03:07:27 PM »
What's the job market like out there?  I've always wanted to live in Central Oregon.

peter_p

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2004, 07:35:21 PM »
Overall Oregon is still among the leaders in unemployment, but Bend and Redmond were among the fastest growing towns in Oregon last year, so there should be good opportunities for small business, service, construction.

Don_Mahaffey

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2004, 10:14:07 AM »
The Nicklaus course at Pronghorn has 9 open and the second 9 will open soon as Peter noted. It doesn't look like any Nicklaus course I've seen before so I'll be interested to see how it is received by the raters. One local player said he didn't like it because so many of the greens fell away from the fwy...hmmm. It looks pretty darn good to me.
I believe the Fazio is routed and ground breaking will begin after the Nicklaus growin is completeted. I doubt that Proghorn will ever be public.

Larry, sounds like Jacobsen/Hardy may be doing the new Eagle Crest project. Wouldn't be a surprise as they seem to be fairly busy in the NW. Larry, do you ever get to OR?

Dan, the area is booming, so I can't imagine finding work would be difficult. The employment rate is high, but it's a lot easier to find a job here then it was in TX, so I'm not sure how they come up with the figure. It's definitly a different attitude and I've had a hard time finding people who actually want to work. Lots of jobs and high unemployment, go figure.

Norbert P

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2004, 03:18:04 PM »
  Here's a Bend Bulletin news article about the course west of Broken Top from a couple of days ago...

http://www.bendbulletin.com/news/story.cfm?story_no=13336

Hi Don.  I hope you're enjoying your new digs.  

Be well,  Slagbert
"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Don_Mahaffey

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2004, 11:57:03 PM »
Slag,
The digs here in Bend are great. The last few months have been quite an experience, but someone must be looking over us as everything has turned out well.

Hope you can make it to Bend sometime soon.

Don

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2004, 11:28:54 AM »
Its funny, i really like that area and feel there is a lot better golf to be built there. I wish the infrastructure was better to get to the ocean and to Portland.

Norbert P

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2004, 12:14:29 PM »
Hope you can make it to Bend sometime soon.

Don, it sounds like you've got some stories to tell.  I'll try to make it out when I can and we'll hook up.  I usually get out there once a summer to visit friends, golf and fish.  

Have you played Lost Tracks, yet?  More doglegs than a boarding kennel.
"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back