News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

...is now posted under In My Opinion and Architecture Timeline.

In it, we are re-introduced to the legendary Alfie Ward whom we first came across in his own entry under My Home Course of Arbory Brae in South Lanarkshire, Scotland.

Mark's latest find has Alfie involved with hickory shafts and gutta percha balls again but this time at the highest course in Scotland. The course is Leadhills and it is high in the Lowther Hills in southern Scotland south of Glasgow. From all the pics, this 9 holer occupies a piece of property LOADED with character. And if like me, your interest in golf is waning based on its present form,  just one read of Mark's excellent course review will no doubt re-energize your batteries. It looks like man vs nature in its purest - and thus most inspiring - best.

Has anyone else played here?  It really looks like a ton of fun and isn't that what golf is (or should be) all about??

Cheers,

Brian_Gracely

Re:Mark Rowlinson's Leadhills and the Joys of Gutta Percha...
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2004, 10:03:14 PM »
Thanks Mark & Ran.  Great to see that Alfie is back and able to continue his crusade of the gutta!!  I'm hoping to be able to reunite with him in May and play a round at Leadhills.  Hopefully the sun stays high on the trip back from Ayrshire to Glasgow.

For any of the guys going to Prestwick (Ed, Mike B.) or traveling to Painswick, I'd highly suggest you make a journey over to see Alfie and let him give you a lesson on the virtues of hickories.  The man is truly dedicated to his passion of the game and is a fine racontuer.  I had the chance to spend some time with him at Arbory Brae last January after my wife and I had gotten engaged at Turnberry.  She's not that interested in history or architecture, but Alfie made a believer out of her as well as me.  He then caddied for me in my first hickory & gutta experience.  On a decent day, this would have been friendly.  But considering that it dropped to about 30degrees and blistering, sideways rain on the 2nd hole...and he never once complained or failed to offer insight into his course....he won my appreciation and respect.  He coud have easily enough told this American that he was calling it a day and gone inside for a cup of tea.  But he willingly trudged on as we finished one of the most enjoyable rounds I've ever played.  

Alfie

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2004, 05:45:08 AM »
Mark & Ran,

My sincerest thanks for all your help in awakening the Hickory dream once more.

Brian,

Thanks for the compliments - but as I remember, it was just another "soft" Scottish day on the links.  ;D

To all GCA'ers,

Hickory Golf is not 'really' difficult - golf is difficult. I hope we can meet up some day and make thing's easier. (to understand)
Please keep supporting this wonderful website whatever you do - the best thing's are always worth preserving !

Alfie Ward.

Mike_Sweeney

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2004, 07:58:34 AM »
But considering that it dropped to about 30degrees and blistering, sideways rain on the 2nd hole...and he never once complained or failed to offer insight into his course....he won my appreciation and respect.  He coud have easily enough told this American that he was calling it a day and gone inside for a cup of tea.  But he willingly trudged on as we finished one of the most enjoyable rounds I've ever played.  

Brian,

Nice post. :D

Alfie,

I hope to make the trip someday. I think I also have a secret desire to play cart golf with Big Berthas in hand at Myrtle Beach with you too.  ;)

Alfie

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2004, 02:18:56 PM »
Mike,

I look forward to that meeting with you some day. And even more so at Myrtle Beach !

Big Bertha's and cart's are OK too. (at MB !)

Aye - if the shoe fits - wear it ! Or perhaps - when in Rome.....?

Alfie

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back