News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

T_MacWood

How many golf courses did Max Behr design
« on: April 22, 2004, 06:36:44 AM »
Or redesign? How successful was he in practicing what he preached?

TEPaul

Re:How many golf courses did Max Behr design
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2004, 06:42:00 AM »
Tom MacW:

Behr's in the book for seven original designs and five redesigns, all in California.

TEPaul

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2004, 06:53:36 AM »
Tom MacW:

What do you mean by practicing what he preached exaclty? Behr preached a number of things on golf and architecture some of them quite diverse.

1. Permanent architecture
2. The use of penalty
3. Art in architecture (naturalism)
4. The nesessity of and effective use of width
5. Line of charm concepts
6. handicapping
7. Golf and legislation
8. The use of sand in architecture
9. Golf the sport vs golf the game
10. The ball problem

T_MacWood

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2004, 07:23:57 AM »
Did he incorpotate his theories into his designs? Examples?

Did he begin sharing his theoies prior to, during or after his design career?

TEPaul

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2004, 08:00:28 AM »
Tom MacW:

At this point this is only somewhat speculative on my part, but....

"Did he incorporate his theories into his designs? Examples?

Yes, he apparently did but to what extent he was able to is probably the best question (we all should probably know that basically golf architecture has been somewhat limited as to AVAILABLE functional WIDTH for perhaps ever in America!). There was some photos of Rancho Santa Fe (I think it was) recently and TommyN explained the way some of those holes used to be before tree planting and other redesign efforts. But even with the way some of those holes still are one can see on some of them what appears to be some serious width creating many distinct lines of play from particularly the tees---things such as alternate fairways et al.

“Did he begin sharing his theoies prior to, during or after his design career?”

I believe GeoffShac is beginning to feel and find evidence that Behr and his theories may’ve been a bigger and more direct influence on some of the thinking of Mackenzie and Bob Jones than previously realized. I believe that Behr may’ve begun writing his essays on architectural theory and principles due to the request of Charles Piper that was in the form of a questionaire sent to all American architects in 1921 to write about and explain their theories on the principles of golf architecture. The reason Piper did that was he was trying to find all available information to put into the USGA Green Committee monthly bulletin that had morphed from an independent golf agronomy bulletin into the USGA and in 1925-6 was to become the USGA Green Section.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2004, 08:11:04 PM »
Twelve more than Arnold Haultain.
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back