News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jonathan Davison

With being a student of golf architecture, I collect books on golf architecture, and find very little wrote about our courses.
In Kroegers book regarding Old Tom, two courses were design by him but he could not find any information about them?
This is just one example.
In the North East of England you can play courses designed by Harry Colt, Alistair Mackenzie, James Braid, Willie Park jnr and John Morrison. Any of these courses designed by the above should be played, and in the North East you play them for under £25 a round. In my view it must be the best value for money anywhere.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 01:49:12 PM by Jonathan Davison »

Mark_F

What courses are you talking of?

I only know of Seaton Carew and Berwick-upon-Tweed.  

Even in the Sunday Telegraph Golf Course guide written by Donald Steel there is a lot of ruminating about Braid and Colt courses, such as Hartlepool, but no real substance or enthusiasm that would make one search them out, let alone pictures, diagrams, in-depth comments etc.

Evan_Green

I guess it depends what is your definition of North East England- upon looking at a map of England I would consider Ganton to be in the north east part of the country and it has had volumes written about it.

Jonathan Davison

In terms of golf courses,
Alnmouth - 4th oldest in England
Harry Colt gems - Brancepeth Castle - Tyneside - Foxton
Colts redesigns - Northumberland
Mackenzie- Darlington- South Moor- City of Newcastle- Seaton Carew
Braid- Dunstanburgh Castle

Other courses
Bamburgh Castle- Hexham-Goswick
I would recommend these courses to anybody studying the game.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 01:48:38 PM by Jonathan Davison »

Mark_Rowlinson

Mark - have a look at the entries for the north-east of England in the web browser's guide in the In My Opinion section - there are links to quite a number of very inviting north-eastern clubs and courses.  I'm sorry you don't find much enthusiasm for these courses in the Sunday telegraph Guide.  Why don't you have a browse through the Times Guide - there's plenty of enthusiasm there! As it happens I was at Hartlepool on Thursday last (not to play it, unfortunately) and it was a joy to see so many ladies and juniors out struggling to keep the ball in play in a stiff wind but clearly relishing the challenge.  I have said elsewhere that it is a very friendly club, and the welcome my wife and I received bore that out totally - really hospitable folk.

Tiger_Bernhardt

It seems very few Americans think of the English courses when in Scotland. The bar tenders help keep ones focus on staying away. I once asked if there were any English course he would like to play and he said why? We have the best golf, whisky and women. What more is there? I was convinced on all but the last one.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2004, 08:45:36 AM by Tiger_Bernhardt »

johnk

I plan on playing at Siloth-on-Solway in a few weeks, basically on the recommendation of Jim Finegan's latest book.

Any thoughts about that course?

Steve Wilson

Bumped up  so John K might get an answer to his question on Siloth-on-Solway.
Some days you play golf, some days you find things.

I'm not really registered, but I couldn't find a symbol for certifiable.

"Every good drive by a high handicapper will be punished..."  Garland Bailey at the BUDA in sharing with me what the better player should always remember.

Andy Levett

Silloth isn't in the North East but Finnegan is spot on, IMHO. His high praise for Seaton Carew is also justified. I've not played Goswick but two others in N-east he could have included are Brancepeth Castle (Durham's a fine place to overnight) and Dunstanburgh Castle, a mid-length links of similar calibre to Scottish 'hidden gems' like Brora and Montrose but around half the price. It helps that scenically it is on a par with the likes of Turnberry or Dornoch.

Mark_Rowlinson

Silloth is super - lots of tumbling dunes, plenty of variety to the holes, good sea views (when it isn't pouring with rain, that is), and it has managed to retain its period feel yet it plays as well as any contemporary course.  It is not, as Andy points out, in the north-east, but if you drive across from the Newcastle/Hexham region it's not far and make sure you take the old military road (B6318) which runs beside Hadrian's Wall through some lovely scenery.  If you get as far as Silloth you might also consider Seascale on the west coast of Cumbria - very different from Silloth but a very characterful links, none the less.

johnk

Re:Why do you miss the North East of England when traveling to Scotland.
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2004, 06:30:59 PM »
Wait - hold the presses - am I reading this right?

Mark, are you telling me it RAINS in N.W. England, and are subtly
implying it rains quite a bit!??!

I'm going have to cancel this whole trip now!  My travel agent hath deceived me!

:)

Thanks for the suggestions on the other courses up there.  I wasn't thinking very geographically when I proposed Silloth as North *East* England - at least it is North, and since the whole island is pretty narrow at that point, maybe I can get a pass...

Mark_F

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2004, 12:58:41 AM »
Mark,

I bought the Sunday Telegraph guide last time I was in the UK (1996), but will definitely pick up the Times guide when I'm back in a couple of months.

Do the AA still do a golf guide to the UK?  My mother's Aunt gave me one circa 1977, and despite its age, it's a fabulous little book.  

I may have missed your little wrap-ups, but there's some 'hidden gems' like Aldeburgh, Thorpeness, Luffenham Heath and Thetford in the East Anglia area that sounded promising.  Have you had any experience of them?

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2004, 08:28:11 AM »
Mark,  

Yes the AA still do a guide.  

I know Aldeburgh well.  It's a gorgeous place with lots of gorse, heavily bunkered and it is as dry as can be - some say too dry in summer - and you have to be adept at the running approach shot.  Many long and tough par 4s, no par 5s.  It's not actually a links but it very much plays like one.  2-ball play only at Aldeburgh.

Thorpeness is slightly more inland in feel, again with tons of gorse, though rather more forgiving.  I'd certainly recommend Felixstowe Ferry and Woodbridge as partners for Aldeburgh (probably both ahead of Thorpeness), but you'd need to check on whether work has started on the remake of several holes at Felixstowe which must be reshaped to avoid punitive insurance claims from members of the public.  

Luffenham Heath is a jewel and well worth visiting.  It's very old fashioned and laid back and dogs are still allowed on the course.  There are several memorable holes and plenty of variety in them.  Unfortunately there are no other worthwhile courses in the immediate vicinity, but it's not far off the A1 if you're travelling north or the A14 if you're travelling towards the Midlands.

The Thetford course is very handsome if you like trees.  It's pretty much heathland in character and there is some fine bunkering.  It was designed by C.H. Mayo and expanded by Donald Steel. The town was the birthplace of Thomas Paine (Rights of Man, Common Sense, Age of Reason).

There are links to some of these (and mention of many other worthwhile East Anglian courses) in the Browser's Guide in the In My Opinion section of GCA.

Mark_F

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2004, 12:26:07 AM »
Mark,

Thanks.

Re Regarding Luffenham Heath maybe being in an area with a paucity of worthwhile golf, I'm from Australia, so distance is an entirely different concept for us...

Anything worth playing is worth a detour.  Again, regarding your cost of the London courses, its cost, alas, that's the factor these days, not distance.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back