News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Hoak

Re:Who are you guys......really???
« Reply #350 on: November 15, 2006, 10:01:23 AM »
Mike Hoak, 31
Live in Vienna, VA
Married with a two-year old daughter
Index 10.7
Member at the Piedmont Club, Tom Fazio design in Haymarket, VA
Work as health care policy director for DC lobbying firm
Will one day finish doctoral dissertation for a PhD in History from William and Mary.

I have played golf since I was 6.  I grew up playing in Luray, VA.  I plan to write something on golf history after finishing a doctoral dissertation on the Civilian Conservation Corps.  I am very fascinated by the history of golf and the evolution of golf architecture.  My golfing highlights all came in the last year with a golf trip to Monterey and a day at Pine Valley for the Crump Cup.  My most unique golf experience was being part of an William and Mary archaeological team conducting test plots prior to renovations at the Golden Horseshoe Green course.  As for hole-in-ones, I had two as a teenager and have not come close since.

My favorite golf course that I have played is Pebble Beach.  However, if I had to pick one course to play every day for the next 20 years, it would be Pasatiempo.  I was blown away by the place and it cemented my profound respect for Mackenzie.  I just wish more of his courses were accessible to rubes like me.

Favorite Courses Played in No Particular Order: Pebble Beach, Pasatiempo, Spyglass Hill, Pacific Grove, Cascades, Harbour Town, Long Cove, Bulle Rock, Burning Tree, Congressional, Kinloch, Beechtree, Golden Horseshoe Gold, Royal New Kent, and Kiawah Ocean.

« Last Edit: November 15, 2006, 10:13:24 AM by Mike Hoak »

Michael Simes

« Reply #351 on: November 15, 2006, 10:28:17 AM »
Name: Michael Simes
Location New York City (work Midtown, live Upper West Side)

Married (Nicole -- sister of fellow GCAer Dave Mulle, and a casual golfer) with 1 son (4.5 month-old Grant who, I hope, will be something more than a casual golfer).

Handicap: 4.0
Course Affiliation: Engineers Country Club, Roslyn, NY

Ten Favorite Courses: Bethpage Black, TOC, Carnoustie, Bulle Rock, Engineers, Pebble Beach, Talking Stick (North), Bethpage Red, Kingsbarns, University of Michigan Golf Course

Courses I'd like to play before I'm no longer good enough to play them from the championship tees: Augusta, PVGC, Merion, Shinnecock.

Grew up playing Tomoka Oaks Country Club and Riviera Country Club in Ormond Beach, Florida.

Best golf memories: Making an ace on Bethpage Black #17 in the gloaming (we searched in each of the bunkers around the green before finding the ball in the hole); making eagle on No. 3 at University of Michigan holing out a 5-iron from 185.

Worst golf memory: needing par on 18 at Bethpage Green for 69 and making bogey.

david h. carroll

« Reply #352 on: November 15, 2006, 11:44:50 AM »
409    GolfClubAtlas.com / Golf Course Architecture / Re:Who Are You Guys(revisited)?   on: July 09, 2003, 10:08:59 am  
Been a frequent guest of this site and only recently got involved...it is truly wonderful to see such ardent discussion!!

David Carroll
Live: Baltimore, MD
hdcp: 1
clubs: Five Farms, Elkridge Club, (parents were members at Long Cove, Melrose and Tabby Links so lots of play in the HHI area)
Family: one son with another on the way

As an update, I'm now 36, the first son is now 7, the second child is a 3 year old girl--and yes she's got me wrapped around her pinky--and the big news is we have a 3rd on the way for January!!  Handicap remains about the same for now and I'm still a lobbyist in Annapolis.

Mike Hoak--great to see another gov't relations person on this board!

david h. carroll

« Reply #353 on: January 12, 2007, 01:59:24 PM »
409    GolfClubAtlas.com / Golf Course Architecture / Re:Who Are You Guys(revisited)?   on: July 09, 2003, 10:08:59 am  
Been a frequent guest of this site and only recently got involved...it is truly wonderful to see such ardent discussion!!

David Carroll
Live: Baltimore, MD
hdcp: 1
clubs: Five Farms, Elkridge Club, (parents were members at Long Cove, Melrose and Tabby Links so lots of play in the HHI area)
Family: one son with another on the way

As an update, I'm now 36, the first son is now 7, the second child is a 3 year old girl--and yes she's got me wrapped around her pinky--and the big news is we have a 3rd on the way for January!!  Handicap remains about the same for now and I'm still a lobbyist in Annapolis.

Mike Hoak--great to see another gov't relations person on this board!

As a pat on my own back, we just had a daughter, Sumter Bradford, on Monday (Elvis' B-day!!)....so I'm now officially in the zone defense and political minority on the home front!

Garry Cox

« Reply #354 on: January 12, 2007, 03:04:40 PM »
Garry Cox

Age 53, Married with two children

Profession:  Attorney(business practice)

Index:  7.8, but it does not travel well

Home Course:  Des Moines GCC

Caddy Experience:  Olympia Fields CC

Long time lurker on this site and infrequent poster.  Fell in love with golf and golf course architecture as a caddy at Olympia Fields CC with its north and south courses.  I gained a greater interest in architecture on my first visits to Harbour Town and Pinehurst during college.

Some of my favorite courses that I have been blessed to play in no particular order: NGLA,Prestwick,Cypress Point, Shinnecock,Harbour Town,Seminole,Bandon Dunes,TOC,The Harvester,Olympia Fields(north & south),Deepdale,Turnberry Ailsa,Pebble Beach,and Western Gailes.

Don Mahaffey, a frequent poster on GCA, introduced me to GCA and I continue to be thrilled to be part of this site.

Cassandra Burns

« Reply #355 on: January 12, 2007, 04:19:53 PM »
I found this site while surfing, looking for some kind of golf material to read this winter, hopefully something that might improve my game?  The first bit I stumbled on which caught my interest was Jam-Boy's blog (he's a caddie in Virginia) and from there I think I found Ian Andrew's blog.  What a wonderful series of articles on golf architecture, something I'd never really thought about before.  Wow, I thought, here's something new to learn!  Maybe my game will improve!  A few links later and I found this place.

I started playing golf with my Grandma, when I was like 11 or 12.  Neither of us were anywhere close to good or anything, but she encouraged me to improve my game enough to play with the men in the family.  I think she was just trying to get me out of the kitchen!  I was such a pest, and her small kitchen was often crowded.  Thankfully my game soon improved enough to spend many family gatherings playing golf, even if I wasn't competitive back then.  I sure tried hard enough!  

I didn't break 100 (honestly, at least) until my early twenties.  I broke 90 in my late twenties.  Well, I finally broke 80 last year, and it only took a quarter-century!  This is really a maddening game - once I broke 90, anything I shot in the 90s was no good.  Now that I've broken 80, anything in the 80s is no good.  I better not break 70, or I'm never going to have any fun at all.  Thankfully I'm in no danger of doing that.

Sometimes I wish my hubby played golf rather than riding his motorcycle for a hobby.  We could go on golf vacations together!  Oh well, no one can be perfect.  I'm sure he'd prefer I become a biker chick, and I know that's not going to happen.  

Well, not anytime soon.  I've got to work on my short game.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2007, 04:20:48 PM by Cassandra Burns »

Matthew Hunt

« Reply #356 on: January 13, 2007, 06:35:21 AM »
Matthew Hunt
Live: Newcastle, Ireland
hdcp: 28
club: Mourne GC (Play over RCD)

I want to be a GCA

I'm I the youngest on GCA.com?

« Last Edit: January 13, 2007, 06:43:13 AM by Matthew Hunt »

George Pazin

« Reply #357 on: January 26, 2007, 05:00:36 PM »
Bumping.

I haven't posted my personal info update in a good while, so here it is:

George Pazin
No club affiliation, sorry, I'm worthless for access :)
Owner, textile screenprinting company (fancy way of saying I print t shirts)
Married, father of an amazing almost 3 year old little guy, the best part of my day, every day

One of the few admitted high handicappers on the site - I like to think it's due to a late start in life and little time to practice, but if you saw me play, you might conclude it's lack of talent.

I stumbled across this site a long time ago in a galazy far far away, way back in Y2K. I had just played Tobacco Road, was just working my way through Geoff Shackelford's early books on Thomas and The Golden Age, and I did a search on Mike Strantz. The Feature Interview popped up, I saw the other interviews with Geoff and others, read the many profiles, and then finally stumbled onto the discussion group. Much to the chagrin of Ran (and maybe Rich G, Huck and Matt Ward), I got hooked.

Haven't seen too many ranked courses, but I am passionate about the ones I have, especially a certain Burgh course that is hosting this year's US Open.

I'm proud to consider many other posters good friends, even the ones I joust with on many subjects. I've also been lucky enough to attend some official GCA outings - if you can do it, I heartily encourage you to meet as many other posters as possible. They are great guys, to a man.

My proudest moment connected with the site is the fact that I was one of the kooks who bought a Barnbougle Founders Membership. Sure, the money was returned, but I still feel good about following a dream, and I still consider myself an honourary Tasmanian.

Don't hesitate to contact me if you're ever in the Burgh. I'd love to talk golf over a beer or three.

:)
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Greg Cameron

« Reply #358 on: March 03, 2007, 09:01:31 PM »
Guys and gals,I'm Greg Cameron of Langley,B.C.I'm 46 years old,and my clan are 10,9, 4 and 2,all better lookin and hopefully brighter than me.I love the golf construction industry,mostly irritation..er irrigation and am having grief re travel vs. fathership,common in this buisness and their ages.It's great  to learn from so many opinions and ideas...thanks for having me.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #359 on: March 03, 2007, 10:21:19 PM »
Since I haven't formally introduced myself:

Name: Kalen Braley
Profession: Software QA Engineer
Index: 13, although with these winter months I'm likely up a few from there.
Club: As I'm new to the area I haven't joined a club yet, but have been thinking about Thanksgiving Point.

History: I'm a born and raised bay area native and will always think of myself as such, "you can take the boy out of Cali, but not Cali out of the boy". I am married and last time I checked, have 2 girls, 8 and 10.

I too am passionate about GCA and has been great to find a site with kindred spirits.  Can't say I had a revelation type moment when it hit me, but it just sort of crept up on me when I realized I get just as much enjoyment out of studying courses as well as playing them.

I look forward to many discussions on this site, both the light hearted ones as well as the "heated/death till the end" hardcore ones.  I also look forward to meeting many of you on the links to enjoy great golf and even greater fun.

Adam Sherer

« Reply #360 on: March 03, 2007, 10:51:46 PM »
Name, Age: Adam Sherer, 26

Home: Little Compton, Rhode Island, USA

Course: Sakonnet Golf Club

Ancestry: Scottish, Ross Clan ("Spem successus alit")

Score: low 80's

Work: golf course design/construction

Work Experience: Riviera, Eastward Ho!, Oakmont, Shelter
Harbor, C.C. Detroit, etc.

Clubs: Used

Hickories: Yes (Nicoll and Stewart)

Music: Rolling Stones, Beach Boys, Miles Davis, De La Soul

"Spem successus alit"
 (success nourishes hope)

- Ross clan motto

Paul Stephenson

« Reply #361 on: March 03, 2007, 10:59:10 PM »
Name: Paul Stephenson
Hdcp: 1
Home Course: Whitevale Golf Club
Married 10 years this October.  One 18 month old daughter, and another child coming at the end of August.

I took up golf at 6 after my father broke his Ram 2 iron and decided I could have it.  I wish now it was a putter he broke.  Played university golf up here in Canada at Wilfrid Laurier University.  My only real claim to fame is that I played in the group ahead of Mike Weir when he won the 1988 Ontario Junior.  We really haven't kept in touch since.

Found this site via Ian Andrew's blog, and it's become the second site I visit each day (Ian's blogs are shorter).

I've been a Stanley Thompson admirer since I first played St. George's as a junior golfer.  I really became interested in architecture while on the greens committee during a McBroom redesign of our club.

Powell Arms

« Reply #362 on: March 04, 2007, 10:48:33 AM »
Another new poster with cabin fever:

Powell W. Arms
Narberth, PA (suburban Philadelphia)
Age 38, married with an eight year old son
Home course: Philadelphia Cricket Club (Tillinghast 1922 and Hurdzan Frye 2002)
Handicap:  that I play left handed

Have thoroughly enjoyed lurking on the site for while and thrilled to be part of the group.
PowellArms@gmail.com
@PWArms

C. Squier

« Reply #363 on: March 04, 2007, 10:17:10 PM »
Clint Squier
Beecher, IL
Age 26, married
Kids:  None have shown up on the front porch, so I'm guessing no.
Handicap:  3.  Also, see directly below
Home Club:  Olympia Fields CC
Away Club:  Wolf Run GC

Golf is a huge part of my life.  From having my Fisher Price clubs strapped between my mom and dad's on the cart during their local friday night couples league through playing a little college golf.  Took and failed the PAT right out of college and it turned out to be the best round of my life....I gave up that dream on the spot.  I'm now able to truly ENJOY playing the game and not worry about the numbers on the card.  It also allows me to stop, smell the redans.  I'll probably never be as skilled in my prose for architecture as most of the posters here, but I get an absolute kick when I play a hole and realize what the architect may have been thinking and how he's playing games w/ me and my game decades later.  

I have 2 standout golf moments.  The first being when I gave my dad the thumbs up walking up the 18th fairway as I was 2 putts away from being the youngest person from my HS to qualify for the state tournament.  The second happened just this last year when I took my dad out to OFCC for the first time.  He has lived 20 mins away from OFCC his entire life, but had never played there before.  He birdied the 1st hole and I had to listen to it the entire round.  He basically quit playing the game when I was younger because of his dedication to following me from baseball game to golf tournament and the smile on his face that day let me know he'd do it all over again.

In my bag:
A Titleist driver of some sort
Miz. MP 29's
Couple wedges
Scotty Cameron putter worth more than everything else combined
My big ol' Jan Craig Headcovers

I collect Cameron putters.  Have a couple he custom made for me, as well as others.  Just love the craftsmanship in them.  My golfer co-workers are trained, if UPS delivers a long brown box, its for me.

That's it for now, I'm sure I've leapt well over the line of internet self-importantness.  I'll try to be better next time :)

« Last Edit: March 04, 2007, 11:02:03 PM by Clint Squier »

Brad Tufts

« Reply #364 on: March 05, 2007, 12:07:34 PM »
My yearly update (last one was 361 days ago):

Brad Tufts

Hometown: Marblehead, MA
Residence: South Boston, MA

Club(s):  Tedesco CC (Wogan, Stiles) in Marblehead, maybe Concord CC (Ross) in the future, Va-Jo-Wa GC in Northern ME

Cap: fluctuates b/t +0.5 and 1.0, best score in a rd. is -3 (about 4-5 times, 67-69), shot 138 for a 36-hole day last summer (-2).

-Alumnus of Middlebury College in VT and 4-yr Golf Teamer NESCAC golf champs '99, '02, I was first team in 01, 02.  Teamed with (now) fellow GCAers Ryan Simper and Mitch St. Peter.

-Architecture background:  Armchair, convinced a professor to let me write my senior history thesis on the History of American Golf Course Architecture, Golf Digest panelist (full disclosure), thinking about creating a blog to display some of the course reviews I've written for fun.

-Best golf moment: Won 2 club championships so far, in 04 and 06, but the record holder has won 13, so I have a long way to go.  The win in 04 made my grandfather's decade...

-Worst: Led all divisions after first round at New England Intercollegiate in fall 02, 148 was in the playoff, went four over on last three holes to shoot 150, bonehead.

-No holes-in-one, maybe 10 hole-out eagles though, longest from 185.  Witnessed my father get a hole-in-one for a car in a charity tournament!  Holed out on the fly (touching nothing but pin and cup) twice with the same club within 8 days in 06.

-Traveled for golf: Ireland, Scotland, Arizona, Florida, Alabama, LA, Myrtle, Pinehurst, all around the Northeast and New England, and many more in the future.....I have Cape Breton (when Cabot Links is done!), London Heathland, Wales, Scotland again, Michigan, Toronto, New Mexico and Australia on the large list.

-Worked for golf:  Wayland Golf Shops, Indian Ridge CC (Andover, MA, Phil Wogan), Myopia Hunt Club (Leeds).  Flirted with becoming a club pro, but I'm no aspiring tour player, and like to play too much!

Sticks:  Titleist is nearing complete invasion of my game:  
ProV1x ball, NO HIGH NUMBERS!!
56 deg, Hogan Riviera SW
52 deg, Cleveland GW, BeNi, don't like looking down at it, but I hit it very well...
762 irons, 4-P, S300 DG Steel
503 H 22-deg Hybrid, NV-75 S
980F 5W, UST Proforce, S
new 906F2 3W, 13 deg, NV-75, haven't hit it yet
905T driver, 8.5, NV-75 S

Looking forward to in 07:

Mass Am. at Concord CC!
Three trips to CA...to see a few of the acknowledged favorites (April, May, Sept)
Trip to Ireland for 14 rounds in 8 days in June/July
US Open at Oakmont (spectating!!)
Boston GC and Old Sandwich?
Perhaps a weekend in RI (Newport National, N. Kingstown, others?)
Weekend in the NYC area for golf, play BB again.

Came to this site while at school while surfing for golf pictures.  When I came upon GCA.com, I went into hibernation for a couple days reading everything on the site.  My interest has always been piqued since playing junior interclubs for Tedesco at Myopia, Essex, and Salem CC.

I also share an uncle with Adam S. above.  Adam, we should get together for a round or two this summer!

I'm always game for trading a round or two, or finding another way to spend money on golf travel, and I think there are more GCA-ers in Boston than is let on, so we should get together!  

« Last Edit: March 05, 2007, 12:09:54 PM by Brad Tufts »
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

David Stamm

« Reply #365 on: March 05, 2007, 12:18:24 PM »

Brad Tufts

became engaged two Fridays ago

Congrats Brad! But the frequency of playing will go down my friend. ;) Honey do lists will be taking up those tee times! ;D

I guess I should put my info on here as well.

David Stamm

Born: Norristown, PA
Residence: San Marcos, CA
Club: None as of yet, but I am looking.
Hdcp: about a 10
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Peter Zarlengo

« Reply #366 on: March 06, 2007, 09:39:45 PM »
Another new member looking to get into the swing of things here...

Name: Peter Zarlengo
Student
Hometown: Denver, CO
Handicap: between 6-8
Home Course: Denver CC for a few more years until I can't depend on mom and dad for golf anymore. love the course, great place to learn and play with an impressive list of architects who have had their hands in it.

Work Experience: I spent last summer working the final construction and grow in at C&C's Colorado Golf Club. Great way for me to get into the business and meet some great people, on what promises to be a fantasic course.

I am currently a second-year landscape architecture student at Penn State. I have aspirations of becoming a golf course designer. Haven't played a lot in the way of classics, but I am doing a lot of reading on design. Cant wait to get started on here...

Andy Troeger

« Reply #367 on: March 06, 2007, 10:07:33 PM »
Peter,
Welcome. Colorado GC does sound like a neat introduction to design! Being new to the area, its good to see more GCAers in the mountain time zone!

Peter Zarlengo

« Reply #368 on: March 06, 2007, 10:11:29 PM »
To call CGC a neat opportunity would be an understatement. Pretty frickin' sweet place, more like it.  :)

Andy Troeger

« Reply #369 on: March 06, 2007, 10:19:32 PM »
I'm a master of the obvious :)

Bill Satterfield

« Reply #370 on: March 08, 2007, 05:57:26 AM »
Name:  Bill Satterfield
Family:  Celebrated my 8 year anniversary this week.  Have a 6 year old, 4 year old, almost 2 year old, and a new one on the way in May.  ALL GIRLS!
Hometown:  Pocatello, ID (2 hours north of Salt Lake, 3 hours east of Boise)
Handicap:  5
Clubs:  Mizuno MP-001 driver and fairway metals, MP-30 irons, MP wedges, and a 2-ball putter.

Played other sports in high school and picked up golf after I was married and have been hooked/addicted ever since.  I really enjoy studying GCA and enjoy reading on this site and hearing others opinions and insights.

Jim Franklin

« Reply #371 on: March 08, 2007, 09:00:44 AM »
Congrats DC on #3; I didn't even know Darcy was expecting. Welcome to the world of three.

Like Goerge, my info is way back on some earlier page so I will post again.

Jim Franklin
married, 3 kids (littlest's initials are G.O.L.F.)
handicap 3
Member at Baltimore Country Club
I just got the Nike CCi forged cavity backs and Sumo driver.
Sonartec 3wood and Bobby Grace MOI putter.
Favorite courses: CPC, NGLA, PV, TOC, Sand Hills, Pac Dunes, Oakmont, Merion, Chicago GC, TCC.
Courses I want to play: Sebonack, Colorado GC, Bayonne GC, Ballyneal(again and again so I can really understand it better), Augusta National, The Alotian Club, RCD, Dornoch

As I have previously stated, if you are near Baltimore and want to play, let me know as I am fairly flexible.
Mr Hurricane

JESII

« Reply #372 on: March 08, 2007, 10:48:19 AM »
Redanman (that is you isn't it W. Vostinak?),

What is EMMA?

George Pazin

« Reply #373 on: March 08, 2007, 10:52:20 AM »
Bill, aka redanman, forgot add his line from his earliest info posting, which was the first statement that made me feel comfortable sharing my (oft times bizarre) thoughts with everyone way back 7 years ago:

"I never met a stiff who was into architecture."

Please keep this in mind when posting.

:)

Congrats on the engagement, Brad.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Ian Andrew

« Reply #374 on: March 08, 2007, 09:13:39 PM »
Name: Ian Andrew

Family: Wife and two boys 16 and 10
Born in: Portsmouth, England
Hometown: Brantford, Ontario, Canada
Last membership: Highland Links
Current Handicap: 13
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 10:32:16 PM by Ian Andrew »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back